March 27th, 2018, 6:41 am #51

DocVOLiday wrote: South Carolina seems to be a dark horse this year.  That not only affects us SEC guys but Merritt as well.  I have faith that somehow the cocks will find a way to suck, it is what they do, but I am nervous.  
The SC team reminds me of the 2008 Clemson team that got Tommy Bowden fired. Returning QB, solid skill players on offense but lack the players in the trenches to be great. Taking my Clemson glasses off this is what I see

#1: A QB who is hyped based on performances against lesser skilled teams. Heck against Clemson, in two seasons, he has a QBR of under 10 (2.7 and 10.6 in the two games) and has never scored a TD on Clemson's starting defense.

#2: An OC that has called plays in exactly one game...how good will he be? They are installing a tempo offense but how well will he be able to play call? No one knows. I'd say he has to be an improvement over Roper but it is not yet known whether or not he can install a system and play call to their strengths.

#3: They do not have a body on their defense that can replace Skai Moore as a player or leader. They lose a lot of production on the DL in Sawyer, Stallworth, and Jones. Theyy lack a a legit pass rusher, and they lost a lot in their secondary as well

I am just not sure where the hype is coming from. They have not recruited elite talent. They literally have not beat Georgia or Clemson for one player that UGA or Clemson actually wanted. They have recruited just 1 top 100 player I believe and havent had a five star since Clowney. They do not have the roster depth and talent to be a darkhorse. They won 9 games last year but who did they beat? They had a charmin soft schedule and do again this year. I mean their OOC games are laughable.

I see it like this

Should be Wins:
Coastal
Marshall
Chattanooga
Vandy
Mizzou (although if Lock is on this could be a toss up)

Toss-Ups
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Tennessee

Likely Losses
A&M
Clemson
Georgia
Florida

If they win all the should be wins and toss ups that is an 8 win regular season. If they pull an upset my guess is it is A&M at home.  Although UGA is early and at home I just do not see them being able to pressure Fromm or stop the run well enough to sustain 4 quarters against Georgia.

Ole Miss and Tennessee likely have more roster talent but there are a lot of questions for them both. I think 7 wins is expectations with 9 wins as the max for them. I am just not seeing the players in the trenches to compete for the east title even with all the question marks

March 27th, 2018, 6:46 am #52

Clemson returned to practice and the hype for Trevor Lawrence continues...coaches have had every opportunity to downplay the hype but havent yet

Scott had been talking about pre- and post-snap decisions, and how difficult both are for all the quarterbacks against this defense because of all the movement. He was then asked if Lawrence is on the same level as Deshaun Watson was four years ago when he amazed coaches with his decision-making and learning in his first spring.

"Yes," Scott replied.

"He's picking things up quickly. He doesn't look like a freshman who showed up in January."

This just one year removed from talking about how Kelly was distancing himself from the freshmen QBs because of their decision making and lack of knowledge of the offense. It is starting to sound like Trevor may actually push KB for the starting nod. Both from players, coaches, and people who have attended practice

March 27th, 2018, 9:14 am #53

The hype should just get louder.  It would be hard not to returning so many starters.  The only part of the field I see Clemson taking a hit is o-line where you have to replace Tyrone Crowder and Taylor Hearn while losing versatile backup Maverick Morris.   Fortunately, there are some young players that could make a big impact. John Simpson was a big four-star recruit from North Charleston and will be a junior in 2018. After backing up Hearn at LG, he has an opportunity to become a starter. Jackson Carman, the five-star recruit from Ohio, will vie for major playing time right away. Could he start at RT and shift Sean Pollard to guard? Could he play guard himself? Noah DeHond and Blake Vinson also could battle for positioning on the depth chart.

Anyway, it must be fun to be a Clemson fan these days.  The only other big concern I see for the Tigers is Bama is returning a ton of starters too.  My way too early prediction is the Tide and the Tigers will meet again at some point in the playoffs.  
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

March 27th, 2018, 9:43 am #54

Crowder is only starter that’s tough to replace. Simpson will be better than Hearn and Morris rarely played late in season.

Pollard is playing guard in spring and Gage Cervenka will be the new Morris but better. Former 3X national champion wrestler who’s playing Center and guard. Simpson is playing tackle now behind Hyatt but will also get a look at guard for depth.

Vinson has looked good and Bockhirst and Stewart are the next up. OL is deepest in Dabo era actually. Corner and safety are the thinnest positions.

March 28th, 2018, 6:17 am #55

I posted that SCAR tweet just for you Merritt!  lol.  

I think SCAR is going to try to run the UGA offense under Bobo.  Very balanced with a deadly 2 min drill they can use whenever they see a team on their heels.  It was probably the best pro style offense in the last decade, but obviously that offense left with Bobo.  Takes a really smart  and accurate QB.    Bobo would run the typical slow pro-style offense until he liked the personnel on the defensive side of the ball, and then it was 2 minute drill.  I forced DCs to stay in base sets and never get stuck with too many DBs or a run stopping group.

I don't think McClendon can call the plays fast enough for that.

March 28th, 2018, 10:40 am #56

I think if you go watch SC offense against SC defense you’ll probably be encouraged

Just like last year lots that watched Kelly Bryant and the Clemson offense against the Clemson defense were very discouraged

March 29th, 2018, 4:15 am #57

Florida State announced Thursday that its spring game will push it beyond the normal two-hour window of fun with Vanilla Ice, Salt-N-Pepa and Rob Base performing a postgame concert at Doak Campbell Stadium.

The game itself will kick off at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 14. Tickets to the event are $5 in advance and $10 the day of the event.

Set the clock, how many jokes can you make about this in 30 seconds:

1.  FSU is trying to bring in bands that were popular the last time they were relevant
2.  If it takes two to make a thing go right does FSU even have two good players now?
3. FSU football is kind of like Vanilla Ice's career.  It was strong in the 90s and now it is just building homes on a reality show.

Ooooooh, and times up.  Dang.  

March 29th, 2018, 4:33 am #58

I think FSU is going to be a lot better than people think. Taggart has some good talent and barnett was a great DC hire

March 29th, 2018, 5:27 am #59

It does seem FSU should have been better than they were last year on paper.  Almost everyone had them as a top 10 and often a top 5 team preseason.   I would imagine Taggart is walking into a similar situation as Smart did.  Plenty of talent but no discipline.  Is Francois healthy?

March 29th, 2018, 6:51 am #60

I think FSU will be a lot better too.  They got the shit kicked out of them by Bama and never recovered.

The flip side is that Jimbo left for a reason.

March 29th, 2018, 11:08 am #61

I am not sure if it means anything but a lot of posters have pointed out at Volnation that for the first time in remembrance Tennessee is not including height/weight with the roster.   Some think it might suggest we could be a little small.  

sec realist
Site Admin

March 29th, 2018, 1:25 pm #62

I'm starting to get pumped about Florida. The positive vibe in Gainesville is too authentic, too visceral to be faked. 

Recruits are noticing. 

The team might be a lot better on offense than I first thought. That's what they need.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

March 29th, 2018, 2:01 pm #63

DocVOLiday wrote: I am not sure if it means anything but a lot of posters have pointed out at Volnation that for the first time in remembrance Tennessee is not including height/weight with the roster.   Some think it might suggest we could be a little small.  
I think the height and weight measurements at most schools are complete bullshit.  I wouldn't read too much into it because the team is mostly the same one that was there last year.

March 29th, 2018, 2:02 pm #64

sec realist wrote: I'm starting to get pumped about Florida. The positive vibe in Gainesville is too authentic, too visceral to be faked. 

Recruits are noticing. 

The team might be a lot better on offense than I first thought. That's what they need.
Florida is the best team on UGA's schedule.

March 30th, 2018, 4:18 am #65

brown dog wrote:
DocVOLiday wrote: I am not sure if it means anything but a lot of posters have pointed out at Volnation that for the first time in remembrance Tennessee is not including height/weight with the roster.   Some think it might suggest we could be a little small.  
I think the height and weight measurements at most schools are complete bullshit.  I wouldn't read too much into it because the team is mostly the same one that was there last year.
Since Dabo took over Clemson's height and weights have been pretty spot on. Players go to the combine and are at least as tall and their weights have been close or above.

March 30th, 2018, 4:20 am #66

DocVOLiday wrote: It does seem FSU should have been better than they were last year on paper.  Almost everyone had them as a top 10 and often a top 5 team preseason.   I would imagine Taggart is walking into a similar situation as Smart did.  Plenty of talent but no discipline.  Is Francois healthy?
Francois should be good to go and he fits Taggarts system better than he did Jimbos. FSU has too much talent to not be competitive.

April 3rd, 2018, 6:09 am #67

Barrett Sallee loves the Cocks!
“They’re loaded,” Sallee said. “They are loaded.”

“The biggest thing to me, which you saw, an offensive line with the 1s, just blow dudes off that ball,” Sallee said. “That’s awesome if you’re South Carolina. 

Sallee said South Carolina easily could be a 10-win team with the schedule it has...

“South Carolina is ready to establish itself as the clear-cut No. 2 team in the Southeastern Conference east division,” Sallee said. “Nobody even comes close to what South Carolina is right now in the SEC East.”
http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/ ... 25384.html

April 3rd, 2018, 6:50 am #68

brown dog wrote: Barrett Sallee loves the Cocks!
“They’re loaded,” Sallee said. “They are loaded.”

“The biggest thing to me, which you saw, an offensive line with the 1s, just blow dudes off that ball,” Sallee said. “That’s awesome if you’re South Carolina. 

Sallee said South Carolina easily could be a 10-win team with the schedule it has...

“South Carolina is ready to establish itself as the clear-cut No. 2 team in the Southeastern Conference east division,” Sallee said. “Nobody even comes close to what South Carolina is right now in the SEC East.”
http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/ ... 25384.html
I heard about this article but I refuse to read because this dude doesn't deserve clicks. He has zero credibility and the state paper has become awful. The only write who is half way decent is Connolly and he has attempted to take his SC homer hat off because he regularly gets destroyed on twitter for making negative twitter comments but he doesnt do a good job. You can just tell it hurts him every time he has to say something good about Clemson. It's very backhanded.

I talked to my best friend who is a huge SC fan. He went to the game and here was his take as one of the more level headed SC fans that you'll find.. Also, 3 year starting high school QB so knows the game. He sent me a long text so I'm gonna give cliffs (we both also understand that it was just a spring game so you cannot take too much good or too much bad)

#1: WR couldnt catch a cold. Said Bentley was pretty accurate but probably close to 10 drops
#2: Bentley looked about as expected but a lot of that reason is because he wasn't live and the SC defense has zero pass rush
#3: Said they just don't look the part. Said they look small and slow compared to the Spurrier teams that won 5 in a row
#4: DBs are awful! Said that WR were regularly running wide open and the DBs looked confused and lost.
#5: No TE anywhere near the level that Hurst was...going to miss him big time
#6: The tempo is up but it is not anything close to a HUNH offense. Said they are doing a nice job getting the ball out quick
#7: Bailey looked better at guard than he did at tackle. Was happy to see him back there
#8: No one on the field is anywhere close to what Skai Moore was
#9: Offensive line got little to no push against their average DL.

Said he feels they can repeat last years success but only because of the schedule. Said they aren't as good of a football team because he feels the defense lost speed and athleticism and still has no elite pass rusher

April 3rd, 2018, 12:32 pm #69

sec realist
Site Admin

April 3rd, 2018, 6:08 pm #70

My early take is that UF will have a very good defense, a really good running game, solid offensive line play and a quarterback situation that is likely to prevent them from any serious run.

Mullen is a good coach. UF will improve under him.

April 4th, 2018, 3:48 am #71

I think Florida is going to battle for the east. I’m hoping Clemson did some Xs and Os on his run game while he was in Clemson. Dude ran for over 200 yards against Bama with much less personnel talent than he will have at Florida.

He will scheme to one of the QBs strengths. He’s one of the better play callers in the game today

April 7th, 2018, 4:05 am #72

More updates:

-Trevion Thompson is the WR that is getting the most praise at the 9 spot...crazy because one would expect it to be Higgins or Overton. Thompson is a veteran but he just doesn't have that "alpha dog" presence like those two
-Amari Rodgers is having a hell of a spring at the 2 and is taking over as punt returner. Scott said "he practices like a pro"
-Jeff Scott said this is the first time Clemson has had depth like this at QB. Said they have 4 guys who they can win a lot of games with and in most years you are lucky to have 1.5
-In the half scrimmage, Venables left frustrated for the second scrimmage in a row. Sounds like the offense is having more success than he'd like to see.
-Talked to a guy at the coaches clinic and he said this is the most talented Clemson team he has ever seen. Not the first person who has told me this after watching practice this spring
-Clemson is focused on getting the tempo better after the coaches felt it was slower last year. Coaches are please with where it is at so far

That is about it for now...Dabo is keeping much more inside this spring so tough to get a read on where they are other than him saying "we are an average team right now." Went ont o say they were average this time last year too and he doesnt expect to be a great team in fall. Typical coach talk

April 7th, 2018, 4:58 am #73

QB Justin Fields sucks under center.  He, like Eason, never took a snap under center in HS and it shows.  It's weird that so mnay elite QBs have that glaring weakness coming out of HS.

Mecole Hardman (5 star athlete) is lighting it up at WR and hasn't dropped a pass yet.  He could emerge as an elite WR and that is something UGA really needs.  They have a lot of #2 and #3 WRs but nobody who gets the defense's attention.

OL looks really good.  They are starting to mix it up and give young guys a lot of reps.

The defense has been running very boring drills during the viewing period, so no info.

Smart has someone that monitors UGA boards and blogs, and if anything ends up on there he closes the next practice and every visitor who was there when the leak occurred is banned from practice for a while.  He has the Saban control freak going on.  I think he is hiding something about the defense.  

April 7th, 2018, 11:04 am #74

I predict Justin Fields rides the bench for a year and transfers.   I wonder how he would look in orange?

April 7th, 2018, 1:10 pm #75

DocVOLiday wrote: I predict Justin Fields rides the bench for a year and transfers.   I wonder how he would look in orange?
If he redshirts then he will still have 2 years after Fromm.  

April 8th, 2018, 4:53 am #76

Still not sure how well Fields will fit Georgias system. He would have fit at Auburn or FSU much better

April 8th, 2018, 4:56 am #77

Larry Williams from rivals tweeted this...my goodness this is a throw not many current college QBs make

Rolling to the left, cross body throw with that velocity and accuracy is just insane

Talked to a former OL that played with DW4 has been at most of the spring practices and his exact words “Trevor Lawrence is the best football player to ever come to Clemson”

Strong praise

April 11th, 2018, 2:17 pm #78

espn guy after watching a full practice:

April 11th, 2018, 2:18 pm #79

DL not LB is the biggest question mark.  Does that mean players are stepping up at LB or DL is a mess?

April 12th, 2018, 6:20 am #80

Spring game Saturday, Clemson had last practice in pads.

Garrett Williams has been the top TE to date. Amazing that he has already apparently surpassed starter Milan Richards less than a year removed from ACL surgery. As a freshman he was mainly utilized as an h-back/full back as a blocker. He was a RB in high school so he definitely has the athleticism to be used in passing game but with Jordan Leggett he was never really used in that role. 

Hunter Johnson/Trevor Lawrence will man the white team
Kelly Bryant/Chase Brice will man the orange team

Jeff Scott has not been shy about being confident in all 4. He said rarely do you have 2 capable guys at one time and we have 4. Tony Elliott said that he believes all the excitement for the Spring Game revolves around Trevor Lawrence and the fact that he has lived up to the hype and is exactly the player they said he was. Dabo has said he is more college ready than DeShaun was physically and mentally. It is going to get interesting to see how they handle this with KB returning as a senior starter. Lawrence is just a different dude and he's doing it with his legs and arm in practice. Took the second team offense and lead a scoring drive against the starting defense in the last scrimmage. 

Finally an update on the RB. Said Feaster has leaned up and has got some of the explosiveness back that he had lost with the weight gain. I remember Gurley went through something similar. Etienne continues to push him but Feaster is hanging on to the starting job as off right now. That is a seriously lethal 1-2 punch...I'm not sure another school has a combo with the power/speed the two of those possess. Neither one will get caught from behind.

I am still waiting for a WR to step up as the alpha dog. Have been told Overton is soft and Higgins still needs to get stronger. Scares me to hear Thompson has been the "most consistent" at the 9 position so far. He just does not provide the skill set that Clemson is used to having at the 9. Higgins needs to be that guy.

Defense is scarily thin at DB right now until the freshmen arrive in the summer. CB is fine but safety is thin. They have even worked Cornell Powell over on defense some. He's still at WR but they are cross training him. It will be interesting to see safety in spring game because if Muse/Turner cannot go there will be some walk ons getting a good many reps at safety.

Tony Elliott will call plays for orange team and QB coach Brandon Streeter will call for the white team.

All in all Dabo seems confident and when he is confident it is generally a good sign. Many continue to say this is his best team yet

April 12th, 2018, 6:23 am #81

Are you going to the game?

April 12th, 2018, 6:25 am #82

DocVOLiday wrote: Are you going to the game?
I am not. I will DVR. Playing in a golf tournament with my dad. My kids may go

I am not a big spring game fan. I just hold my breath and pray no injuries...the way they do the roster split, vanilla game plan/play calling, etc it just doesnt excite me.  I go and tailgate and enjoy when I do not have anything better to do

April 12th, 2018, 7:06 am #83

I like the spring game craziness.  Since it is free you get some interesting characters who are eager to show their school spirit.   

This year I am more interested than most just to see how the team looks under Pruitt.  All I am looking for is discipline at this point.  

April 12th, 2018, 7:24 am #84

DocVOLiday wrote: I like the spring game craziness.  Since it is free you get some interesting characters who are eager to show their school spirit.   

This year I am more interested than most just to see how the team looks under Pruitt.  All I am looking for is discipline at this point.  
Yeah I always enjoy a trial tailgate run and just being in Clemson but I also like playing golf.

April 12th, 2018, 7:41 am #85

DocVOLiday wrote: I like the spring game craziness.  Since it is free you get some interesting characters who are eager to show their school spirit.   

Are they expecting a big crowd?

April 13th, 2018, 7:24 am #86

Yes.  Probably around 80+.   

The good news I am hearing from downtown is Shy Tuttle is having a good offseason.  He was a highly recruited 5 star defensive tackle who has really had a less than spectacular career so far but has been injured quite a bit.  We desperately need him to step up next season and maybe under Pruitt he discovers his full potential.  We actually have a potentially big and talented front defensive line if they are developed properly.  It is the one bright spot on this team.

sec realist
Site Admin

April 13th, 2018, 1:14 pm #87

Orange and Blue game tomorrow.

No idea what to expect.

Mullen appearrs to be very happy with all things football right now. 

April 14th, 2018, 1:51 am #88

DocVOLiday wrote: Yes.  Probably around 80+.   

The good news I am hearing from downtown is Shy Tuttle is having a good offseason.  He was a highly recruited 5 star defensive tackle who has really had a less than spectacular career so far but has been injured quite a bit.  We desperately need him to step up next season and maybe under Pruitt he discovers his full potential.  We actually have a potentially big and talented front defensive line if they are developed properly.  It is the one bright spot on this team.
Shy Tuttle was soft in high school. Clemson fans were never overly upset about losing out on him. Of course Clemson landed Wilkins and Huggins (who was higher on their board than Tuttle)

Rivals had him as a four star and that was probably more accurate. But if anyone can get anything out of him it’s Pruitt. He is probably a good fit in that 3-4 base D

April 15th, 2018, 5:46 am #89

Watched most of Spring game last night and this morning

Observations:

-Tee Higgins is growing up into the alpha I expected. He was beating the starting corners on 50/50 balls regularly. Had 4 catches 118 yards and 2 TDs. Both TDs were on contested throws. Had another 50+ yard catch called back on a beautiful pass from Trevor Lawrence. Swinney called it a touch sack by Wilkins...it wasn't TL stepped into pressure and threw a strike

-Trevor Lawrence is as advertised. He was 11-16 for 122 yards plus the beautiful throw with pressure in his face to Higgins. What was impressive was his ability to move the pocket, avoid pressure, and throw strikes on the run. He had a few nice long runs as well

-Kelly Bryant just didnt look comfortable. The touch sacks doesn't help his cause but he missed throws he is going to have to make to retain the job. He was the 4th best QB yesterday

-Chase Brice was 12-19 for 231 yards but had 3 interceptions. 2 were just bad decisions.

-Hunter Johnson 8-14 85 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 rush TD on a zone read goalline play

All in all the QBs all looked good except KB who was 8-15 for just 35 yards.

The defensive line is just filthy...we all know the starting 4 but Xavier Thomas, KJ Henry, and Justin Foster all looked fast off the edge. This Clemson team is loaded. They split the rosters and still just elite talent everywhere

sec realist
Site Admin

April 15th, 2018, 5:48 am #90

Spring game was yesterday.

No real suprises and nothing that changes the narrative.

Things are looking up, though. Recruiting is taking off some, the system is implemented and the fans have bought in.

Forward progress, baby! Woohoo!

April 15th, 2018, 7:33 am #91

The first of what I would say will be a lot of this connection at Clemson

April 16th, 2018, 10:18 am #92

Here is a guy from Volquest who goes by Evergrenevol who does actually seem like he is legit.  The team had a scrimmage Saturday and this was his synopsis:

Offense: 

The offense was 50/50 good and bad. A lot of mental mistakes on the day by the offense. The receivers again had way too many drops. Callaway had a good day as did Josh Palmer. Tyler Byrd made a good catch and run. 

Guarantano played equally good and bad. While he completed on some deep routes, and was relatively accurate on the day, he’s still hanging on to the ball way too long. If he wasn’t wearing the black jersey, he would have been sacked or blown-up easily 4-5 times. The OLine was being overpowered, out-quicked, and was innefective against stunts.. McBride wasn't sharp today, and again a lot of it was because he was running behind the 2nd team offensive line. 

Defense:

Tuttle, Taylor and Phillips looked good at times. The linebackers looked to be gaining confidence and comfort with their assignments. The D appeared to have gotten the “pop” memo, because there were some good licks being applied. 

The secondary, especially corners have a long way to go...
This at least gives me an idea what to look for at the spring game.

April 18th, 2018, 6:14 am #93

At the Prowl and Growl last night some things from Dabo post spring

1. QB competition is open...made a joke that he did not know if Gad himself could put 4 better QBs in that meeting room.
2. Once the freshmen arrive this will be the deepest and most talented roster he has fielded.
3. Said the coaches just laugh and smile when they write the DL depth chart on the board. Said he would be happy with the third team guys at starter across the entire line.