Rule Changes

Rule Changes

June 14th, 2018, 4:27 am #1

The NCAA changes the redshirt rule.  A student still has 5 years, but now they can play 4 years plus 4 games in their redshirt season.
College athletes competing in Division I football can participate in up to four games in a season without using a season of competition, the Division I Council decided this week at its meeting in Indianapolis.

Division I student-athletes have five years to compete in up to four seasons of competition. The new exception allows football players to preserve a season of competition if, for example, injuries or other factors result in them competing in a small number of games.

June 14th, 2018, 4:30 am #2

and they changed the transfer rule.  This one is a bit more complicated.
The Division I Council adopted a proposal this week that creates a new “notification-of-transfer” model. This new system allows a student to inform his or her current school of a desire to transfer, then requires that school to enter the student’s name into a national transfer database within two business days. Once the student-athlete’s name is in the database, other coaches are free to contact that individual.
“The membership showed today that it supports this significant change in transfer rules,” said Justin Sell, chair of the Division I Transfer Working Group and athletics director at South Dakota State. “I’m proud of the effort the Transfer Working Group put forth to make this happen for student-athletes, coaches and schools.”
The previous transfer rule, which required student-athletes to get permission from their current school to contact another school before they can receive a scholarship after transfer, was intended to discourage coaches from recruiting student-athletes from other Division I schools. The rule change ends the controversial practice in which some coaches or administrators would prevent students from having contact with specific schools. Conferences, however, still can make rules that are more restrictive than the national rule.  
So basically, once the kid notifies the school he name pops up on a list of kids that can be contacted by other coaches.  Nice that they don't have to get permission to talk.  The last sentence creates a loop hole though.

June 14th, 2018, 6:44 am #3

I like the first one.  I hated it when a player lost almost a complete year due to injury.  

The second one seems good.  I always fall on the side the kids are taking the risks so they deserve, at the very least, the chance to play where they are happy.  It does not appear the schools wanted to give up too much control too quickly.
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

June 15th, 2018, 6:16 am #4

DocVOLiday wrote: I like the first one.  I hated it when a player lost almost a complete year due to injury.  

The second one seems good.  I always fall on the side the kids are taking the risks so they deserve, at the very least, the chance to play where they are happy.  It does not appear the schools wanted to give up too much control too quickly.
You could get a redshirt if injured and played in 25% or less (think it was 25%) of games. Rudolph from Clemson was awarded a medical redshirt after playing early last season.

But I agree I like this rule. It changes a lot of things and allows you to get some kids rep in blow outs and essentially get them live scrimmage time against fresh bodies.

Also, if a coach thinks a kid is ready and then they play a few games to realize they aren't, they can hold them. This is great for QBs who are awaiting their turn behind a star. They can get some time and be appeased. May even help with some frustrations and transfers

June 15th, 2018, 9:28 am #5

Yeah, I'm hoping Fields plays in 4 games this season and not a second more.

June 17th, 2018, 3:59 am #6

brown dog wrote: Yeah, I'm hoping Fields plays in 4 games this season and not a second more.
I actually typed his name and then got to thinking...he’s going to have to be the back up this season isn’t he? I think he needs a redshirt year to distance the gap between him and Fromm but will they be able to make that happen? For his sake, develop wise and distance between Fromm he could use it

June 17th, 2018, 6:41 am #7

The big issue is UGA only has 2 QBs so if something happens to Fromm then Fields has to play.  For that reason I think they have to give Fields some reps just in case they need him.

I like the rule change because it gives some wiggle room for coaches to do what is best for the team in the short term by playing a kid because of depth, but also allowing the kid to get 4 years on the field.  I always felt like kids got screwed when they played a small amount and got injured, in the coach's dog house, or a better player returned.

sec realist
Site Admin

June 17th, 2018, 7:16 am #8

It's a smart rule, no doubt.

Good coaches will manage the process.

Probably one of the best ways to foster player development.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

June 19th, 2018, 5:18 am #9

I wish Clemson would sit Huggins until the SC game and he would come back for his 5th year. Would help a thin DT rotation next year, increase his stock, and give Clemson some fresh legs on the DL for the playoff run if they make it.

Right now, you have a senior who is NFL caliber and that would start most places sitting behind two first round, potential top 10 picks.