Phil Steele's top

Phil Steele's top

July 10th, 2018, 5:00 am #1

Steele does the best job of crunching the numbers for every team, so his ranking is probably the best one.  btw, This is his prediction for how the teams finish.
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Washington
5. Georgia
6. Wisconsin
7. Miami
8. Notre Dame
9. Oklahoma
10. Texas
11. Michigan
12. Penn State
13. Michigan State
14. Boise State
15. Stanford
16. USC
17. Florida
18. Florida State
19. Auburn
20. TCU
21. Mississippi State
22. Utah
23. Boston College
24. Oregon
25. Arkansas State
A lot of interesting stuff, but I'll start with Arkansas STATE ranked ahead of 9 SEC teams.  lol.  That'll get somebody fired.
He ain't buying the UofM hype. or PSU.
But he is buying Wisky.  Is that because of how crappy the Big10 West is?
Realist has to like Florida at 17.  Especially with FSU at 18.
ND in the top 10.  
Miss State at 21.  I think he is underestimating them.

July 10th, 2018, 5:02 am #2

TAMU doesn't make the list.  

July 10th, 2018, 5:38 am #3

Excellent points.  I like Wisconsin only because they are sticking with their old school mentality.  3 yards and a cloud of dust.  You are not going to win national championships that way anymore but it will get you a lot of w's.   

One team you did not mention in your synopsis is Texas.  I think I would put them at #10 too because on the one hand you could see this as being Herman's Kirby Smart year where it all comes together. On the other Texas just seems cursed lately and I doubt anyone would be shocked by another disappointing season.  

I think Jimbo has lost the benefit of the doubt and TAMU being unranked just confirms that.  Maybe that will make Jimbo dangerous as he realizes this is his chance to get our from under Bowden's considerable shadow and prove to the nation he belongs in the conversation with guys like Saban, Meyer and Dabo.  
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

July 10th, 2018, 5:47 am #4

" Realist has to like Florida at 17.  Especially with FSU at 18."

Florida has a talented new QB … Florida could be wicked good this season .. depending on how quick their QB matures ...the SEC had better watch out for Florida this season … Hey Georgia fans are you all hearing foot steps , yet ?
Alabama: Heart of the South

July 10th, 2018, 4:08 pm #5

Kentuckytoo wrote: … Hey Georgia fans are you all hearing foot steps , yet ?
No.  Not yet.

Florida will be back, but UGA has the advantage this year.

sec realist
Site Admin

July 10th, 2018, 4:33 pm #6

Florida at 17 feels right to me. They could lucky and end up higher or unlucky and end up unranked too.

I can convince myself of just about anything with this team, and that makes this season fun to think about.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

July 10th, 2018, 6:46 pm #7

Steele was the best when he did it himself and didn’t sell his soul to ESPN. He has been off the last few years

July 11th, 2018, 3:23 am #8

Seems like Wisconsin gets love every year … they are going to hae to prove they deserve the ranking this year … I think they fall short ..

July 11th, 2018, 4:20 am #9

Kentuckytoo wrote: Seems like Wisconsin gets love every year … they are going to hae to prove they deserve the ranking this year … I think they fall short ..
LIke I stated previously I think it is the type of football they play too.  Very conservative.  Ground and pound.  Big ol' guys in the trenches.  Smash mouth defense.  It is good enough to always keep them in the conversation but not innovative or explosive enough to beat the big boys like Ohio State. 
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

July 11th, 2018, 5:08 am #10

Kentuckytoo wrote: Seems like Wisconsin gets love every year … they are going to hae to prove they deserve the ranking this year … I think they fall short ..
It could be argued that Wisconsin overachieves...

Last year picked 9 and 10 in AP and coaches preseason and finished 6 and 7

2016: Not ranked preseason and finished 9th
2015: Ranked 18/20 preseason and finished 21st in both
2014: Ranked 14th in both preseason finished 18th and 13th
2013: Ranked 23rd inn both preseason and finished 22/21

July 11th, 2018, 5:18 am #11

I'll add Wisconsin has two back to back Top 10 seasons with the following recruiting classes:

2013: 57th
2014: 33rd
2015: 37th
2016: 35th
2017: 35th

Ohio State Preseason/Final ranking

2017: 2nd/5th
2016: 6th/6th
2015: 1st/4th
2014: 6th/1st
2013: 2nd/12th (10th in coaches)

Ohio State recruiting has been much better and their is only one year they finished better than preseason pick

July 11th, 2018, 7:31 am #12

I like the Buckeyes final rankings , over the last 5 years , more than Wisconsin's , in fact , I like the Buckeyes Final rankings , over the last 5 years , more than a lot of teams … 

As for comparing the difference  , between preseason to final rankings.... Here is how I interpret them ….

When you are ranked high preseason 1 loss can drop a  team 4 or 5 spots …. when you are ranked low preseason 8 or 9 wins can move you up quite a bit …

I also noticed that , over the last 5 years, the Buckeyes have finished 5th, 6th,4th , 1st, and 12th … I will take that all the time … I have also noticed , over the last 5 season , Wisconsin has never finished the season ranked higher than the Buckeyes …

Wisconsin's rankings are a little deceiving … they start preseason ranked low … but when they  dominate  a Division that the little Sister's of the Poor could dominate , and win 8 or 9 games , they get an undeserved boost in the rankings ….

July 11th, 2018, 7:46 am #13

Kentuckytoo wrote: I like the Buckeyes final rankings , over the last 5 years , more than Wisconsin's , in fact , I like the Buckeyes Final rankings , over the last 5 years , more than a lot of teams … 

As for comparing the difference  , between preseason to final rankings.... Here is how I interpret them ….

When you are ranked high preseason 1 loss can drop a  team 4 or 5 spots …. when you are ranked low preseason 8 or 9 wins can move you up quite a bit …

I also noticed that , over the last 5 years, the Buckeyes have finished 5th, 6th,4th , 1st, and 12th … I will take that all the time … I have also noticed , over the last 5 season , Wisconsin has never finished the season ranked higher than the Buckeyes …

Wisconsin's rankings are a little deceiving … they start preseason ranked low … but when they  dominate  a Division that the little Sister's of the Poor could dominate , and win 8 or 9 games , they get an undeserved boost in the rankings ….
Oh I wouldn't trade the success of OSU with Wisconsin...I was simply showing you where Wisconsin has not necessarily been hyped and not followed through

They generally finish at or above where the preseason expectations were and they are consistently inn the top 25 with some top 10s sprinkled in with recruiting classes outside top 30 which is pretty impressive.

I mean they went 13-1 last season. For a team recruiting at an average level, that is not to bad. That division is about to get a lot better too with  Frost at Nebraska and NW pumping serious cash into the program. Iowa will always be up and down but they are still a decent program.

Brohm also has things moving in the right direction at Purdue

July 11th, 2018, 7:51 am #14

I hope you are right about the West getting better … Competition is the bread and butter of life … competition makes everyone better … a strong conference makes for strong teams … as much as I joke about Michigan , I still understand , that if they become better, they push Ohio State to become better …… and that is a good thing … 

July 11th, 2018, 7:55 am #15

" Brohm also has things moving in the right direction at Purdue "

I really enjoyed watching Purdue play this past season … they are definitively improved … that weren't blown out in any game … and they battled to the very end in all their losses ... ...

July 11th, 2018, 7:57 am #16

Kentuckytoo wrote: .

" Brohm also has things moving in the right direction at Purdue "

I really enjoyed watching Purdue play this past season … they are definitively improved … that weren't blown out in any game … and they battled to the very end in all their losses ... ...
I have a feeling Louisville will push hard for him to come home after Bobby hangs it up or they fire him

July 11th, 2018, 8:01 am #17

I hope he stays at Purdue  ...

July 11th, 2018, 8:09 am #18

Kentuckytoo wrote: I hope he stays at Purdue  ...
me too...for some reason NW and Purdue have been teams I pulled for