Off season over/under thread

April 19th, 2018, 4:34 am #1

Premise is simple.... post a question and set the over/under.

Next poster answers if they think the final answer will be over or under with a reason why, if they prefer, then posts their own question with the over/under.

It's just an offseason time killer thread but could be fun.

I will start.  Over/Under on Kiffin getting offered a big time job next season.  > 75%.  
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

April 19th, 2018, 7:58 am #2

DocVOLiday wrote: Premise is simple.... post a question and set the over/under.

Next poster answers if they think the final answer will be over or under with a reason why, if they prefer, then posts their own question with the over/under.ii

I will start.  Over/Under on Kiffin getting offered a big time job next season.  > 75%.  
Over...schools prefer to recycle coaches rather than make risky coordinators. If Muschamp can get a job so can Lying Lane

Over under:

Clemson and Bama both make the playoffs again

65%

April 19th, 2018, 9:09 am #3

I actually would take the over.   Clemson has a pretty direct path and I am betting UGA has a little step back with all their losses from last year team.  in 2019 though I am picking UGA all the way to knock off Bama. 

Odds that Coach O is still the LSU coach by the end of next season <25%

April 19th, 2018, 2:13 pm #4

I will take the over.... They won't fire Coach O after going 7-5 this year, considering the buy out clause in his contract.  I don't see them doing worse than that, they have too much talent.

Odds Lebron and company make the Championship game this year  <70%

April 20th, 2018, 4:51 am #5

I think this is the year Lebron realizes he can't win at Cleveland any longer and looks for greener pastures.  The people of Cleveland should give him a standing ovation if he leaves.  He did what he said, he came back and gave them a championship almost single handily.  The cavs admin are worthless and should get the blame if he leaves.

Over/under on Florida winning the SEC East in Mullen's first year.  > 40% (I was going to say over 50 but UGA is pretty formidable).  

April 20th, 2018, 8:42 am #6

DocVOLiday wrote: I think this is the year Lebron realizes he can't win at Cleveland any longer and looks for greener pastures.  The people of Cleveland should give him a standing ovation if he leaves.  He did what he said, he came back and gave them a championship almost single handily.  The cavs admin are worthless and should get the blame if he leaves.

Over/under on Florida winning the SEC East in Mullen's first year.  > 40% (I was going to say over 50 but UGA is pretty formidable).  
Over I think winner of UGA/Florida wins it.

Over/Under 35% Penn State wins BIG

April 20th, 2018, 10:07 am #7

Ooooh.  That is a good one.  I will take the over.  I am not worried at all about Michigan or Wisconsin knocking them out just big 'ol mighty Ohio State.  OSU has had a nasty habit of losing games lately they had no reason losing and opening up the door for a team like PSU.  Plus, as previously mentioned this years combine showed they have some stallions at Penn State and Franklin is not fooling around.  The million dollar question for the Nittany lions is can they get some production out of whoever replaces Saquon.  

How about FSU winning the ACC?  I would put it somewhere around 35% too.  

sec realist
Site Admin

April 20th, 2018, 1:09 pm #8

Under. I like Taggert, but he hasn't demonstrated he can win big.

9.5 wins at SCAR? I'm taking the under.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

April 21st, 2018, 3:55 am #9

sec realist wrote: Under. I like Taggert, but he hasn't demonstrated he can win big.

9.5 wins at SCAR? I'm taking the under.
Under I am saying SC is probably an 8 or so win team but only b/c that schedule is a joke

Over/under 40% someone not named Alabama wins the SEC

sec realist
Site Admin

April 21st, 2018, 5:25 am #10

Under. Until I see it...

60 % chance college football attendance goes down.

April 22nd, 2018, 4:51 am #11

sec realist wrote: Under. Until I see it...

over...attendance will continue to go down as TV's get better, ticket prices increase, and travel becomes more expensive.

9 regular season wins: over/under for the Florida Gators

April 24th, 2018, 9:37 pm #12

nmerritt11 wrote:
sec realist wrote: Under. Until I see it...

over...attendance will continue to go down as TV's get better, ticket prices increase, and travel becomes more expensive.

9 regular season wins: over/under for the Florida Gators
Over... Mullen is an offensive guy...and will score points on his scheme alone..throw in the talent over Vandy, SCAR, Missouri and Tenn..it's not hard to see.

Over 50% Lebron plays for the Cavs next year..I'll take under.

sec realist
Site Admin

April 25th, 2018, 3:53 am #13

Under.

85% chance Jalen Hurts transfers from Alabama.

April 25th, 2018, 4:10 am #14

Can I just agree.  85% sounds about right.  Even though it is not possible I would love to have Hurts next season at Tennessee.  I still firmly believe our Qbs are going to be running for their lives so Hurts mobility would be very needed.

Odds Baker Mayfield gets drafted over Sam Darnold 25%.  

April 27th, 2018, 5:05 am #15

DocVOLiday wrote: Can I just agree.  85% sounds about right.  Even though it is not possible I would love to have Hurts next season at Tennessee.  I still firmly believe our Qbs are going to be running for their lives so Hurts mobility would be very needed.

Odds Baker Mayfield gets drafted over Sam Darnold 25%.  
over...I'd put it at 100% chance this morning

Over/Under sacks for Clemson 50...(47 last season)

April 27th, 2018, 7:57 am #16

Hurts is an OK college QB, but he has zero chance of making it in the NFL.  It was obvious in the first half of the championship game that UGA knew how to shut his arm down and make the team one dimensional.  Saban knew it and knew his only chance to come back was to switch QBs.  Saban was fine with it against Clemson because he could afford to grind it out in a low scoring game, but against UGA's offense he knew he had to have more points.  Every team on Bama's schedule will break down those games and know why.

April 27th, 2018, 10:29 am #17

I will take the over on the sacks.  Clemson is going to have the best d-line in the country by a fairly large margin.   That combined with a bunch of teams on their schedule that are not expected to have strong offensive lines (Furman, Ga Southern, the weaker ACC teams) and it seems like the perfect recipe for a record breaking year.   Speaking of record breaking I can not seem to find which team holds the record for  most sacks in a single season.  

I have hesitated using this one because I think I know what you guys are going to say and I am inclined to agree with you.   Here we go: Tennessee 50% chance of finishing over .500 next season.  

April 29th, 2018, 8:34 am #18

DocVOLiday wrote: I will take the over on the sacks.  Clemson is going to have the best d-line in the country by a fairly large margin.   That combined with a bunch of teams on their schedule that are not expected to have strong offensive lines (Furman, Ga Southern, the weaker ACC teams) and it seems like the perfect recipe for a record breaking year.   Speaking of record breaking I can not seem to find which team holds the record for  most sacks in a single season.  

I have hesitated using this one because I think I know what you guys are going to say and I am inclined to agree with you.   Here we go: Tennessee 50% chance of finishing over .500 next season.  
Let's see on Tennessee:

3 easy wins OCC in Charlotte, ETSU, and UTEP and you'd think Vanderbilt would be a win.

Toss-Up games: Kentucky, SC, Mizzou, Florida

Likely Losses: Georgia, WVU, Auburn, and Bama

So they essentially need to win 3 of the toss up games or pull an upset which they could do...I am going over 50% and think they get to 7 or 8 regular season wins at worse.

Over/Under: 3 wins for ACC v/s SEC rivalry week.

UK/Louisville
Clemson/SC
FSU/Florida
Georgia/GT

Tougher to predict these games this year

April 30th, 2018, 4:22 am #19

nmerritt11 wrote:
DocVOLiday wrote: Premise is simple.... post a question and set the over/under.

Next poster answers if they think the final answer will be over or under with a reason why, if they prefer, then posts their own question with the over/under.ii

Over...schools prefer to recycle coaches rather than make risky coordinators. If Muschamp can get a job so can Lying Lane

Over under:

Clemson and Bama both make the playoffs again

65%
I will take the under .... it is hard to repeat ... and betting on the same two teams to  make the playoffs again ..  well, those are pretty long odds ..
Alabama: Heart of the South

April 30th, 2018, 5:01 am #20

K2, always nice to see you back.   How about this one.   Odds that OSU makes the playoffs this year?   If they win the Big 10 I have to imagine they are in after getting left out last season so I think the odds are extremely good they make it barring some dumb loss (which they seem prone too lately).   I would say easily 75%.  

April 30th, 2018, 5:22 am #21

I put OSU's chances of winning the conference around 40%.  I'd say PSU 30% and the rest of the Big10 is a combined 30%

April 30th, 2018, 5:31 am #22

brown dog wrote: I put OSU's chances of winning the conference around 40%.  I'd say PSU 30% and the rest of the Big10 is a combined 30%
Really?   That seems low.  OSU will have a complete team next season.  The only unknown is qb which does matter.   Unlike Saban Meyer leans heavily on his qbs to win.   Does anyone know who OSU's qb is going to be this season?   Did they shine at the spring game?

April 30th, 2018, 6:37 am #23

They have proved it's hard to win the Big10.

May 1st, 2018, 5:36 am #24

DocVOLiday wrote:
brown dog wrote: I put OSU's chances of winning the conference around 40%.  I'd say PSU 30% and the rest of the Big10 is a combined 30%
Really?   That seems low.  OSU will have a complete team next season.  The only unknown is qb which does matter.   Unlike Saban Meyer leans heavily on his qbs to win.   Does anyone know who OSU's qb is going to be this season?   Did they shine at the spring game?
Seems we say OSU has a complete team every year doesnt it?

May 1st, 2018, 5:54 am #25

It is strange.  It kind of goes back to the Meyer thing we have discussed numerous times.  He wins like a champ with other people's players but once he is somewhere long enough to get his own class in they seem to struggle.   

I do think it is worth noting that the big difference between Saban and Meyer is Meyer always seems to need a superstar, especially at qb, to be successful.  Saban just wins.   

May 1st, 2018, 8:43 am #26

Below is a link to Urban Meyer's coaching Record and stats . I will leave it up to you all to tell me which coaches have a better record and/or winning percentage. Seems to me he is doing something right . I be willing to bet a lot of folks would love to see their schools achieve the same level of success as Ohio State has .. just a guess ...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/co ... yer-1.html

May 1st, 2018, 12:21 pm #27

No one is saying Urban isn’t a great coach. He’s #2 behind Saban but the argument could be made that Dabo is right there with him at 2b or a very close 3 because he built the Clemson program

sec realist
Site Admin

May 1st, 2018, 12:46 pm #28

Meyer is a great coach, but he still hasn't won a championship with just his guys.

Might be unfair to judge him that way, but it is true.

His second UF title team was substantially his, to be fair. Most of the heavy lifters were his guys.

Does anyone else get the feeling that OSU is slowly inching back to the Big 10 pack? Sure feels that way to me.

May 2nd, 2018, 5:12 am #29

sec realist wrote:

Does anyone else get the feeling that OSU is slowly inching back to the Big 10 pack? Sure feels that way to me.
I've been wondering whether OSU is moving back or is the rest of the Big10 getting better?  

Is PSU really that good or are they filling a vacuum?  Wisky just the tallest midget in the circus of the West?

May 2nd, 2018, 6:09 am #30

I like the filling the vacuum scenario.  Over the last few years we have seen bottom dwellers like Missouri and South Carolina do well in the SEC East because Florida, UGA and Tenn were all down.   With Michigan out of the way it really has created an opportunity for schools like PSU to rise.  

May 30th, 2018, 6:33 am #31

nmerritt11 wrote:
DocVOLiday wrote:
Seems we say OSU has a complete team every year doesnt it?
does not winning the NC mean the season is a failure or that a team is not very good ?? I think OSU has had a complete team for most of the years since 2002 … but they are competing against other elite teams and cant  always win a National Championship ..

May 31st, 2018, 4:45 am #32

Merritt is off on a cruise ship with his lovely wife, so it'll be a week or so before he can come back and tell you that OSU sucks.