NFL draft

NFL draft

April 25th, 2018, 5:26 am #1

I just post this over at Volnation:

It looks like we are, yet again, not going to hear our school announced tomorrow. Our only real options this year are defensive back Rashaan Gaulden, running back John Kelly and defensive linemen Kahlil McKenzie Jr. Gaulden is probably the most likely to get called but it won't be in the first round for sure.

This actually brings up another big criticism of Butch's time at UT. We all agree he was a great recruiter and was able to bring in 5 star guys like McKenzie but it never really seemed they were developed much. I know Barnett is the exception but that guy is so gifted he was going to be in the
Tough days to be a Tennessee fan for sure.  I hope your schools do well.  I think we are going to hear Penn State and UGA a lot tomorrow.
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

April 25th, 2018, 7:01 am #2

Wow, interesting responses to the post.   Most are reasonable and agree that Butch and gang did not develop talent.  Some are attacking the players saying they did not try.  Tennessee fans are an odd lot and I question their decision making process some times.

April 25th, 2018, 7:38 am #3

USAToday just reported that former Florida receiver Antonio Callaway failed a drug test at the NFL combine, a mistake that could damage his draft status. It is nice knowing Florida is as big a mess as we are these days. I actually hate it for the kid. Tremendous talent but his entire career is marred with bad decisions. Hopefully someone can straighten him out.

April 25th, 2018, 10:37 am #4

DocVOLiday wrote: Wow, interesting responses to the post.   Most are reasonable and agree that Butch and gang did not develop talent.  Some are attacking the players saying they did not try.  Tennessee fans are an odd lot and I question their decision making process some times.

Butch wasn't a very good evaluator of talent and he was equally bad at coaching.  Think about the defining players of his better teams.  Dobbs was a 3 star who played hard but never got better.  Kamara was a Bama transfer.  I can't think of an elite recruit that he landed that panned out.  Can you?

April 25th, 2018, 10:39 am #5

Callaway once said he was too high to sexually assault a woman.

April 25th, 2018, 10:46 am #6

Callaway is a trainwreck.  Shame.

As far as Butch goes the only one that comes to mind is Barnett.  Derek is a beast though and probably would have found success at any school.  

sec realist
Site Admin

April 25th, 2018, 1:21 pm #7

Callaway is a very good talent.

He's also a fucking idiot.

Florida's season last year would have been a lot different if he and Scarlett has been eligible. Maybe to the point of McElwain still being there.

Hooray for the idiots!!
Live with egrets, not regrets.

April 26th, 2018, 5:41 am #8

This might belong in the bless their hearts thread...

April 26th, 2018, 5:42 am #9

Former UGA and Bama players don't like to be used in a Tennessee recruiting add. lol.

April 26th, 2018, 6:28 am #10

April 26th, 2018, 8:16 am #11

I get that Pruitt wants to market his staff's pedigree, but that was probably the wrong way to do it.  

April 26th, 2018, 8:17 am #12

Bear who?

April 26th, 2018, 9:28 am #13

April 27th, 2018, 4:14 am #14

Bama had 4 guys drafted in the first round last night, so Saban has now produced more 1st rounders than all the previous coaches.  

UGA had 3 guys drafted.  UGA has never had 3 guys drafted in the first round.

Oklahoma had 1

Clemson had 0

That means 25% of the first rounders came from the championship game.

April 27th, 2018, 4:34 am #15

brown dog wrote: Bama had 4 guys drafted in the first round last night, so Saban has now produced more 1st rounders than all the previous coaches.  

UGA had 3 guys drafted.  UGA has never had 3 guys drafted in the first round.

Oklahoma had 1

Clemson had 0

That means 25% of the first rounders came from the championship game.
Clemson's first round guys all came back...

Heck they may not even have a second rounder but I am ok with that because they didnt have many seniors and were the youngest team in the country.

By the way....could Ridley have landed in a better place? He has a dominant #1 WR so he won't be pressured to be the guy and it should open up things for him. Love this pick by my Falcons

April 27th, 2018, 4:41 am #16

brown dog wrote: This might belong in the bless their hearts thread...

along with this

April 27th, 2018, 4:57 am #17

What is depressing to me is to watch Tennesse just continue to fall on all time 1st round picks.  Just a decade ago we were #2 in the nation in 1st round picks.  Now we are #8 (tied with Michigan ironically) and falling fast.  I feel like we have become the old fighter who was once great and is now fading away.  

April 27th, 2018, 5:15 am #18

DocVOLiday wrote: What is depressing to me is to watch Tennesse just continue to fall on all time 1st round picks.  Just a decade ago we were #2 in the nation in 1st round picks.  Now we are #8 (tied with Michigan ironically) and falling fast.  I feel like we have become the old fighter who was once great and is now fading away.  
I  am not sure how good of a head coach he will be but you can bet your ass Pruitt will put DBs in the league consistently

April 27th, 2018, 5:23 am #19

nmerritt11 wrote:

Heck they may not even have a second rounder but I am ok with that because they didnt have many seniors and were the youngest team in the country.

That's part of the point.  Sometimes the way you miss things makes me think you've been hanging out with SCAR fans too much.  ;)

Oklahoma only lost 1 guy, but he was the team.  I doubt they replace him easily.  I like Lincoln's play calling, but that defense....

Clemson returns everyone.  The key for Clemson is improvement.

UGA has never lost that many elite players.  btw, Chubb is likely to go in the first few picks of the second round, and then there are a lot of other players likely to get drafted.  UGA has never had to reload in the past.

Bama is gonna Bama.  Every year they reload.  It's insane.  lol.  

April 27th, 2018, 5:44 am #20

brown dog wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote:

That's part of the point.  Sometimes the way you miss things makes me think you've been hanging out with SCAR fans too much.  ;)

Oklahoma only lost 1 guy, but he was the team.  I doubt they replace him easily.  I like Lincoln's play calling, but that defense....

Clemson returns everyone.  The key for Clemson is improvement.

UGA has never lost that many elite players.  btw, Chubb is likely to go in the first few picks of the second round, and then there are a lot of other players likely to get drafted.  UGA has never had to reload in the past.

Bama is gonna Bama.  Every year they reload.  It's insane.  lol.  
Dabo said the other day this is his best team yet...those are strong words.

The defense will be just nasty...it could seriously be like the FSU defense that had every starter drafted eventually. And a good many in two deep

DL
Bryant: no question potential 1st round
Ferrell: no question potential first round
Wilkins: 1st round
Dex: potential top overall and would bet top 5

LB:
Lamar: no question...crazy athleticism for his size.
Jospeh: probably mid to late rounder
Simmons: interesting because played safety this year, dropped down the SAM/Nickel for this season. Crazy range...safety athleticism with LB size

S:
Muse: size (6'2 225) and athleticism (laser 4.4 guy) but he needs to get more disciplined. Will only be a junior so I could see him playing his way to a mid round because he will test off the charts and be a 3 year starter
Wallace: ideally a corner but playing safety to get on the field and doing a damn nice job at it.

CB:
Mullen: potential 1st or 2nd rounder
AJ Terrell: just a true sophomore and likely beating out a senior starter. Reed said last year he was a future 1st rounder
Fields: has been a starter and now may be a back up and still drafted. Clemson rotates enough for him to still make a name for himself

And that is just starters...not even getting into younger guys

April 29th, 2018, 2:43 pm #21

I like to give the ACC a lot of crap about being weak, but that's an impressive number.  Especially with Clemson only accounting for 3 of the 45.

April 29th, 2018, 2:44 pm #22

btw, NC State had their entire DL (4 guys) drafted.  

May 7th, 2018, 5:38 pm #23

Mayfield's got a roomie
Mayfield told reporters that during the camp he is rooming with former Georgia Bulldogs running back Nick Chubb, who was selected by the Browns with the No. 35 overall pick in the second round of last month’s draft. The Sooners lost 54-48 to Georgia in overtime in the Rose Bowl. Mayfield has not forgotten that painful defeat.

Per Browns writer Patrick Maks, Mayfield thinks about that loss to Georgia “every night,” calling it a “sick joke” that he is roommates with Chubb during the camp. Mayfield says the two have yet to speak about the game, adding “There’s still a little salt in the wound,”