Mississippi State

Mississippi State

June 4th, 2018, 4:34 am #1

It seems like I'm hearing a lot of positive predictions for MSU this year.  Honestly, I thought their new coach was a downgrade and I expected a gradual return to the bottom of the West, but here is Furiak from CFN predicting great things.  He doesn't say Mullen is less of a coach.  He just says Morehead will continue the upward trend.

June 4th, 2018, 4:50 am #2

I do think State will benefit also from Ole Miss being down but still see them at best around 3rd or 4th in West.   State is just having to do more with less.  Even after their recent stadium expansion they still only seat a little over 60k.   They have no real winning tradition to draw from similar to South Carolina.   Actually, I like that comparison even though the cocks have much larger and newer facilities. 

One positive though I will say for the smaller schools like State is I truly think we are about to enter an era where less people attend live sports and the added revenue the bigger schools like Tennessee get from their 100k+ stadiums will diminish.  I know in the big scheme of things game day attendance is a small slice of the economic pie for an athletic program but it will create even more parity.  I bet the stadium of the future will be around 60k but the seats will be luxurious with clubs and ETOH at the games.  The cheap seats will all be gone. 
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

June 4th, 2018, 6:35 am #3

Moorhead did a decent job at Fordham as a head coach but that is not the SEC West

June 4th, 2018, 6:41 am #4

Yeah, outside of the 2 years as OC at Penn State he has never been at a big program.

June 4th, 2018, 6:41 am #5

btw, everyone said the same thing about Urban Meyer

June 4th, 2018, 6:47 am #6

brown dog wrote: btw, everyone said the same thing about Urban Meyer
Yes but Meyer went from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida to Ohio State. So he made a gradual climb in his head coaching career from Mid American Conference to Mountain West to SEC while landing at a premier program with tons of in-state talent with tradition of winning.

Much different than going from Fordham head coach in the FCS to Mississippi State in SEC West.

Like Dabo he was a WR coach at Notre Dame before being promoted to head coach at BG

June 7th, 2018, 9:11 am #7

What everyone is missing is that State is absolutely loaded on the defensive side of the ball... this year.  Any good coach could do well with this year's team.

That D-line is crazy good, returning the SEC DE with the most QB sacks and the SEC DT with most QB hurries from a year ago, plus they added a guy that was the #1 Juco D-line in country that had to sit out a year.   He was the #1 DE on the last year's depth chart until he had to sit out a year.  Their depth is crazy deep.  That defensive line is one of the best personnel wise in the country this year. They good.. period.

State's problem  has been with DB's WR's and O-line depth.  We finally seem to have all three of those groups looking pretty darn good for the upcoming year. The stars had to get in line for all three of them to be in good shape.

Some will point to Fitz's (QB) completion % but accuracy was not the problem, actually having someone get separation and catch the ball was a problem.  He put the ball on the money many times just to see a drop or there would be nowhere to go with the ball and he would just have to take off.  He got away with that vs many opponents but not the elite defenses.  They would just man up and keep 7/8 with one or two spies in there to keep him from doing much on the ground.

We have sophomore WR that is gobbling up everything and getting open and has been the buzz all spring/summer.  Mullen should have played him last year but he doesn't play freshmen often. State is set at TE and RB and OL as well. 

I think this is the best overall team personnel wise that has ever laced it up in Starkville. That's why they are getting so much love this year. 

Moorhead doesn't have to be better than Mullen to have success this year.  Of course, if he really does suck, that will show it's ugly head soon enough.

The question is how can State be so loaded if Mullen sucks at recruiting?

June 7th, 2018, 10:05 am #8

Mullen did suck at recruiting top rated talent at State but He was great at evaluating players that would come to his camps.  An unknown player that was under everyone radar shows up at camp and gets an offer.  Someone reviews a little film and they would get 3 stars.  Five/Six years later, they are in the NFL. 

He would not even go after good players from other states, he didn't even try.  He never believed anyone would come to Starkville unless they were locals or not top players.  He may have been right but, todays HS recruits can't even remember a time  when a Mississippi State team was in the lower half of the SEC or missed going to a bowl game.  We are still Starkville though.

I have said and continue to say that if you are a 4 star talent you have a better chance of going to the NFL from State than Alabama.  You may never get to play over there but kids don't think like that or they are losers, right?  You don't even want them if they are scared of competition, right?

What pissed everyone off the most was Mullen's love of Hevesy,  The dude has a worse personality than a brick wall and turned many a recruits stomach but:  Hevesy can definitely coach 'em up once he gets them.

I really don't see Mullen having the same approach at Florida.  He will go after a higher talent group over there. 

So how did he leave State so loaded?  It helped that the Rebs were down, but that won't last.  It's going to take something special from Moorhead to keep it going.

sec realist
Site Admin

June 7th, 2018, 10:13 am #9

Mullen is after all the top guys at Florida. Seems to be making serious inroad, too.

Takes a while to see how it plays out, but the momentum is clearly with Mullen know the trail.

Recruing was my biggest concern.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

June 7th, 2018, 1:31 pm #10

He will recruit fine there, he just never believed in Starkville.  He even laughed at some of his assistants for trying to go after out of state guys. 

He will not have those same issues down there.  Thing is, he really didn't appreciate how much Mississippi State's perception had changed to HS players over the last few years.  The can't remember a bad season.  Moorhead is new blood and going after a bunch of guys.. and getting a few.  Let's hope he can coach too.

June 7th, 2018, 1:33 pm #11

I really think both State and Floriday will be better off after the transition.  Mullen needed a renewal and State needed someone to bring in some new life.

June 7th, 2018, 2:01 pm #12

I finally clicked on the link and was able to read the first page.

He mentioned that 4 starters are back on the OL.  That 5th guy went to the NFL but he missed about 1/2 of last season and his backup did better than expected.  That OL is ready to do business.

He said Aeris Williams at RB, underwhelms some folks but he will split time at best with Kylin Hill who will be the breakout guy in this offense this year.

Maybe, I will go back to see if I can actually load the other pages.

June 7th, 2018, 3:04 pm #13

I was able to load them and that was a decent write up but he missed on a few things. 

Nothing much at all about what's happened since Moorhead got here or players on the team that have been progressing etc...

Two sophomores that will make huge impacts, Kylin HIll at RB and Austin Williams at WR.  Both have been differences makers in the off season and will be two breakout players in the Moorhead offense.  He did mention one new home run type WR,  but I don't see him doing much yet.  .

Another guy he didn't even mention was Chauncey Rivers at DE.  He had to sit a year and he may very well be the best player we have on D next year.  He was certainly worthy of being on his list of players to watch. The article had very little inside info for sure but he has us about where I think we will be this year if Moorhead can really coach.

Upside?  10 wins Downside 7or8.    This team has some talent, just not Bama ready yet. I might start "Believing"  if they get on a run again like 2014 with Dak only to get run off the field by Bama.

sec realist
Site Admin

June 7th, 2018, 3:36 pm #14

Mullen had a bit of his reputation in the line this season. What did he leave? How much impact can he have with the Gators? Big year for him.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

June 29th, 2018, 7:22 pm #15

sec realist wrote: Mullen had a bit of his reputation in the line this season. What did he leave? How much impact can he have with the Gators? Big year for him.
He will have an immediate impact on the offense.  You will not have another year of futility.  His teams score points.  He will find a way to make that happen.

If he recruits at a high level on top of that and get along with his DC,  they will be right in the mix for titles.  It’s not just him. It Hevesy, he is a liability in recruiting. He is a jerk but can get the most of what he gets.

I really do think he will recruit better at Florida but will it be good enough?  I don’t see how he can as long as he keeps the same staff on offense.  

Put if this way, Mullen got two blue chipper out of state players total his last four years here. That’s after having us ranked #1 for five weeks.  Moorhead has that many so far this year and will probably get two more before signing day.  Mullen did not believe in Mississippi State and it showed.

June 30th, 2018, 4:38 am #16

Back in the Day , Ole Miss - MSU was the game to watch ...
Alabama: Heart of the South

July 1st, 2018, 1:09 pm #17

the Gators were 60-41 over the last eight years … and that isn’t okay for a program like UF ….. btw ,  over that same span ... Mississippi State was 64-39.... so, Florida should improve ....
Alabama: Heart of the South