Former Clemson running back C.J. Fuller has died at 22

1:35 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #1

Former Clemson running back C.J. Fuller has died at 22
Former Clemson running back C.J. Fuller has died at age 22.

Gill Payne, the athletic director at South Carolina’s Easley High School, where Fuller attended, confirmed his death to multiple outlets Wednesday afternoon, including The Greenville News and CBS affiliate WSPA. 

Dabo Swinney addresses Fuller’s death

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney released a statement later Wednesday.
“Our thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathies are with C.J.’s family,” Swinney said. “I’ve know C.J. for a long time  and watched him grow up through the EAsley rec leagues all the way through Easley High School. I’m proud of what he accomplished as a Clemson tiger, most of all, his accomplishment of being a Clemson graduate. Our deepest condolences and the thoughts of our program are with his family this evening. May he rest in peace.”
Fuller died in South Carolina hospital

Pickens County coroner Kandy Kelley told the Greenville News that Fuller died at Greenville Memorial Hospital after being transported from a family member’s house. She declined to release further information on his death until an autopsy is complete. She said in investigation into his death could take up to eight weeks. 

Fuller played on Clemson’s national title team

Fuller played at Clemson from 2015 to 2017, including the Tigers’ 2016 national championship team. Details of his death have not been reported.

He announced his plans to transfer in February. In March, he was arrested along with fellow former Clemson player Jadar Johnson and former Duke player Quaven Ferguson on armed robbery charges in downtown Clemson.
Fuller tallied 599 rushing yards and 155 receiving yards while totaling six touchdowns during his three-year Clemson career.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reports-fo ... 18973.html
Alabama: Heart of the South

4:20 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #2

Man, I sincerely hate to hear this.   A lot of Clemson's current players were his teammates and I bet this hits them hard.  Hopefully they will do a tribute to him.  I bet we see a #27 on Clemson's uniform somewhere.  Way too young to die.
Last edited by DocVOLiday on 5:10 AM - Oct 04, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Being a Vol fan is great except for a few Saturdays in the fall.

5:07 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #3

I don’t know that you’ll see that. Dabo addressed it but he opted to leave program and go play final year elsewhere and then got arrested for burglary and drugs.

Still a sad story and I hate it for him but he was likely facing some time or probation at the least.

5:10 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #4

“Our thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathies are with C.J.’s family,” Head Coach Dabo Swinney said. “I’ve known C.J. a long time and watched him grow up through the Easley rec leagues all the way through Easley High School. I’m proud of what he accomplished as a Clemson Tiger, most of all, his accomplishment of being a Clemson graduate. Our deepest condolences and the thoughts of our program are with his family this evening. May he rest in peace.”

5:13 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #5

They are saying they are going to perform an autopsy.  At his age and conditioning it is safe to assume it was some type of outside influence.  Drugs would be the most common cause of death at that age but I really should not speculate until we know the truth.  I will say a lot of these kids are provided with high doses of opioids  since it is a violent game and end up hooked.  

5:35 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #6

Apparently he had knee surgery and developed a blood clot

5:38 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #7

The clot could of broke lose and ended up somewhere it did not belong.   It is so sad when someone gets struck down in their prime.

6:59 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #8

Sad news.  I heard somewhere "sudden cardiac arrest" and that might be a blood clot.

1:22 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #9

Did I see that correctly?  Armed Robbery arrest?   I can't seem to muster any sympathy right now.

4:41 AM - Oct 05, 2018 #10

MissST Bulldog wrote: Did I see that correctly?  Armed Robbery arrest?   I can't seem to muster any sympathy right now.
Yes it was very shocking...he was always a great teammate, never any trouble, loved by coaches, and apparently just got caught up on a bad situation over someone apparently owing them money.

The whole story never came out. But yes and it was apparently a former walk on teammate and they were shocked to walk in and find his girlfriend there

5:06 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #11

Dabo spoke at his funeral today and I heard it was amazing.