Forbes most valuable football teams

September 11th, 2018, 10:39 am #1

Another year, another change on the top spot on Forbes list.  Now, it appears, Texas A&M is the most valuable team in college football:

Here is how A&M rose to to the top per the article:
It's been widely reported that the Aggies closed the gap with the cross-state rival Longhorns because of a vast increase in contributions. And indeed, from 2014 through the 2016-17 season, the Texas A&M athletic department earned $260 million in contributions, nearly double what any other school made in that time. For reference, in those years, Texas had total athletic contributions of $123 million; Florida, which ranks second in the category, totaled contributions of $138 million. Texas A&M, meanwhile, allocated $119 million of its total contributions just to the football team.

Texas A&M's rise to the top isn't just from alumni contributions, though. The team ranks third in ticket revenue, averaging some $41 million per year, and it's sixth in money from royalties and licensing. And the 2012 move to the SEC certainly hasn’t hurt – the conference’s most recent revenue distribution was $41 million per member school while Big 12 programs each received just $34 million from their conference.
I love how they say Big 12 programs just 34 million.  We live in a world now where 34 million is apparently chump change.   

Tennessee is of course falling.  They had the good year with the Battle of Bristol but the losing is starting to take it's toll.  I never thought I would see Tennessee drop off the top 10 in this list but am confident just a little bit of success will spur tremendous ticket sales, contributions, and merchandising.  
Being a Vol fan is great except for a few Saturdays in the fall.

September 11th, 2018, 12:41 pm #2

I guess it depends on how you determine value ….

https://247sports.com/Article/Where-doe ... -121709364

Ohio State is ranked # 1 on this list at a value of 1.5 billion dollars …. 
Alabama: Heart of the South

September 12th, 2018, 8:59 am #3

I’m not sure where they get their numbers

No way SC is that high. They are almost at the maximum debt the state allows them to have. They were at 186 million and state only allows for 200 million in debt. They were only going to pay it down something like 13.6. They had to alter their original players facility because it would have surpassed the $200m. There was an article last year showing Clemson verse SC athletic debt, revenue, and liquid cash

Clemson had less debt and more cash in the bank while making less revenue.