Faking an injury

September 6th, 2018, 4:19 am #1

I was going to let this story go but it will not die.  Apparently Taggart and the FSU guys really feel that Virginia Tech faked injuries a lot during the game to rest.  I have two comments on this.  First, it is oppressively hot and humid in Florida.  I think people from Florida get used to it but the Hokies coming out of the mountains may have been sincerely sweating their brains out dropping their electrolytes and cramping up a lot.  Second, there is no rule against it.  I know people will cry foul and say it is bad sportsmanship but Tech did nothing wrong if they did fake all those injuries.  We respect it when Saban finds a rule workaround like grey shirting but get mad when other schools do.   

All that being said I really do hate it only because it just drags out the game even longer.  I can think of no way to stop it though.  
Being a Vol fan is great except for a few Saturdays in the fall.

September 6th, 2018, 4:42 am #2

It's a tough spot.  Who is to say when it's a legit reason?  Also, conditioning is part of the game, so it feels a bit like cheating to coach it and then the kids do it repeatedly.

fwiw, UGA might/probably did it against Clemson a few years ago.

September 6th, 2018, 5:07 am #3

I do think there were a few times the Tech players looked over at the coaches and then fell down.  That is where my eyes roll.   The coaches now are under so much pressure and make so much money I think they are going to take any advantage they can get.  Expect the games to stretch to 4 hours.  

September 6th, 2018, 5:18 am #4

Sort of connected....

UGA is heading to SC this weekend and it's supposed to be hot.  UGA has depth and SC doesn't.  My guess is UGA will try to get SC's defense running from sideline to sideline early and often with passes to the RBs.  Oddly, SC's new offense is more uptempo, so it actually is working against them in this game.  In another thread I mentioned that statistically Bama wants as many plays as possible because eventually they win, and in a hot humid game I think the same thing can happen.  UGA with all of it's depth wants a lot of snaps because they know what that means for SC in the 2nd half.

September 6th, 2018, 5:25 am #5

DocVOLiday wrote: I was going to let this story go but it will not die.  Apparently Taggart and the FSU guys really feel that Virginia Tech faked injuries a lot during the game to rest.  I have two comments on this.  First, it is oppressively hot and humid in Florida.  I think people from Florida get used to it but the Hokies coming out of the mountains may have been sincerely sweating their brains out dropping their electrolytes and cramping up a lot.  Second, there is no rule against it.  I know people will cry foul and say it is bad sportsmanship but Tech did nothing wrong if they did fake all those injuries.  We respect it when Saban finds a rule workaround like grey shirting but get mad when other schools do.   

All that being said I really do hate it only because it just drags out the game even longer.  I can think of no way to stop it though.  
it is cheating …. an injury time out is for an injury …. not a fake injury ….and it is bad sportsmanship … just because you can get away with it , doesn't make it right ….
Alabama: Heart of the South

September 6th, 2018, 5:29 am #6

How do you feel about coaches teaching their OL how to hold and get away with it?

September 6th, 2018, 6:00 am #7

That is a great strategy if UGA deploys it.  Columbia is a miserable place this time of year.  Exertion + heat+ uniform = heat exhaustion.  I am a little surprised Nike, Under Armour, Adidas, etc has not created a cooling system yet for players.  We are getting them for soldiers.  Here is a quick explanation of the light weight environmental control system we are implementing with soldiers in Iraq:

Soldiers can wear the Light-Weight Environmental Control System, or LWECS, directly against their bodies. A small battery that fits inside body armor powers the system, according to the U.S. Defense Department (DoD).

"It's the same technology that's in your air conditioner or in your refrigerator, except instead of conditioning air, it chills a fluid. And then it pumps that fluid through a tube-lined cooling vest," Brad Laprise, a mechanical engineer at the Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center (NSRDEC) in Natick, Massachusetts, told Armed with Science, the DoD's science blog. [7 Technologies That Transformed Warfare]
The tech is there, it is time for Universities to perfect it.  

September 6th, 2018, 7:11 am #8

brown dog wrote: How do you feel about coaches teaching their OL how to hold and get away with it?
it is the same thing … it is cheating … because it is outside the rules …. but it is smart … by the time kids reach the college level, we are no longer trying to build character or instill a love for the game …. in college, we teach the that winning is all that matters ….
Alabama: Heart of the South