Comcast dropping the Big Ten Network in most states

Comcast dropping the Big Ten Network in most states

April 13th, 2018, 12:16 pm #1

"We are not dropping Big Ten Network in states where there are Big Ten schools. We are only dropping it in out-of-market states where there are no Big Ten schools."

Wow. Is this the beginning of the end of massive contracts due to cord cutting?
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

April 13th, 2018, 12:51 pm #2

I live far from the SEC footprint and I'm sure almost all of my neighbors have zero interest in the SEC Network.  It's hard to justify paying for a channel that so few people want.  

I bet the negotiation centers around moving the Big10 Network to an add on instead of part of the basic package.

sec realist
Site Admin

April 13th, 2018, 1:05 pm #3

I cut the cord about six weeks ago.

I feel like an idiot for not having done it way earlier.

SEC Network is included in my Hulu. lol
Live with egrets, not regrets.

April 13th, 2018, 2:06 pm #4

I literally just dropped DirectTV 2 days ago. We just never watch TV and the girls only watch kids YouTube and Netflix. Do you have to pay extra for the SECnetwork on Hulu or is it included with your normal subscription? I will most likely get Sling when the season starts or bootleg my folks passwords.
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

sec realist
Site Admin

April 13th, 2018, 4:08 pm #5

$40/month. There are other packages, but this one works as I get Rays games, lots of news and just enough other stuff to make it work.

Lots of channels.

I'm paying a third of what I was (also have Netflix, HBO and Amazon), but enjoy it so much more.

sec realist
Site Admin

April 13th, 2018, 4:09 pm #6

Direct TV is a rip off, but you don't fully realize how much it is until you cut.

April 14th, 2018, 10:13 am #7

My kids don't watch TV, so I just get slingtv for the CFB season.  It's OK, but needs an upgrade.  Next season I'm leaning towards youtubetv because it has a better interface, speeds, and DVR function.  I really miss the DVR.

I know I've posted this before, but I cut the cord almost 10 years ago.  Once you stop watching cable tv every evening you spend your time on other things and never look back.  I think our kid's generation has moved to other things like social media and youtube, so they have zero interest in traditional cable.

sec realist
Site Admin

April 15th, 2018, 5:39 am #8

My daughter is 14. Netflix, YouTube and Instagram are what she does. That's it.