College football odds, lines, schedule for Week 2: Clemson a big road favorite vs. Texas A&M

September 5th, 2018, 8:55 am #1

College football odds, lines, schedule for Week 2: Clemson a big road favorite vs. Texas A&M

It's never too early to look ahead toward Week 2

Lines you need to know

No. 2 Clemson at Texas A&M (+13.5): 

The defending ACC champion Tigers head to College Station to take on a familiar foe -- Aggies head coach and former Florida State boss Jimbo Fisher. Kellen Mond looked sharp in A&M's first game of the year on Thursday night against Northwestern State, but will have his work cut out for him against the talented Tigers front seven. If Texas A&M is going to keep it close and cover, Mond has to play his best game.

No. 3 Georgia at South Carolina (+10): 

The Bulldogs and Gamecocks feasted on cupcakes Saturday afternoon, but this week's tilt in Columbia will serve as a massive main course. South Carolina might not be a true threat in the SEC East yet, but a win over Georgia -- which would essentially create a two-game lead in the SEC East race -- would be enormous for the Gamecocks. Oddsmakers believe that, at the very least, this will be a competitive matchup.

Colorado at Nebraska (-4): 

Weather forced Scott Frost's debut at Nebraska to be pushed back a week, and the new opener vs. Colorado is a much bigger test than Akron would have been in Week 1. The Buffaloes are fresh off a thrashing of Colorado State on Friday night, and the Cornhuskers will start true freshman quarterback Adrian Martinez -- the only scholarship signal-caller on the roster. Bet at your own risk.

No. 15 USC at No. 13 Stanford (-5): 

Freshman quarterback JT Daniels was solid in his debut for USC Saturday afternoon, going 22 of 35 for 282 yards passing and a touchdown, but has his work cut out for him against the tough Stanford defense. Meanwhile, the Trojans will have to replicate San Diego State's success against Cardinal running back Bryce Love last week, while also keeping the ball out of the hands of wide receiver JJ Arcega-Whiteside. There are a lot of unknowns in this Pac-12 showdown on the farm.

Consider staying away

Iowa State at Iowa (-4.5): 

The Cyclones saw their season-opener vs. South Dakota State rained out, which threw a nice little wrinkle into this intra-state rivalry. The Hawkeyes won a wild one last year, and bulled away from Northern Illinois Saturday afternoon. With no frame of reference to work off on the Cyclones side, you'd have to be nuts to lay some action on this one.

No. 10 Penn State at Pitt (+9.5): 

Remember two years ago when the Nittany Lions fell to the Panthers and all seemed lost in Happy Valley? Echoes of that game should be ringing in your ear after coach James Franklin's crew escaped the clutches of Appalachian State in overtime on Saturday afternoon. It's a rivalry game with a top-tier team, on the road that struggled against a lesser opponent. Run. Run far away. 

No. 11 Michigan State at Arizona State (+6): 

The Spartans got a scare from Utah State last week, and now must travel across the country to take on the Sun Devils. The Herm Edwards experience got off to a great start in a 49-7 win over UTSA in the opener, and not many people on the planet can cover wide receiver N'Keal Harry. Which Michigan State will you get: the one that struggled last week or the one that can contend for the Big Ten title? 

No. 18 Mississippi State at Kansas State (+7): 

The Bulldogs should get quarterback Nick Fitzgerald back after his one-game suspension, and his first game in coach Joe Moorhead's new offense will be in a tough environment in Manhattan against the Wildcats. There are too many variables to make a strong play on this.

Best of the rest

• No. 16 TCU at SMU (+20)
  • Georgia Tech at USF (+3.5)
  • Western Michigan at No. 14 Michigan (-26.5)
  • New Mexico at No. 4 Wisconsin (-34)
  • Rutgers at No. 5 Ohio State (-33)
  • Arkansas State at No. 1 Alabama (-37.5)
  • Ball State at No. 12 Notre Dame (-34.5)
  • Kentucky at Florida (-15)
  • Tulsa at No. 23 Texas (-22)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... texas-a-m/
Alabama: Heart of the South

September 5th, 2018, 9:07 am #2

" Kentucky at Florida (-15)  " 

the last time Kentucky beat Florida was in 1986 …. and I don't see it happening this year …. because … Kentucky is not very good and the SEC East isn't the train wreck this year that it has been in the past ...

September 5th, 2018, 9:10 am #3

I would love for Kentucky to get that monkey off their back but don't see it happening either.
Being a Vol fan is great except for a few Saturdays in the fall.

September 5th, 2018, 10:50 am #4

I will add if PSU does not get out of that weird lull they fell into during the App State game I could see Pitt not just covering but upsetting the Nittany Lions.  

September 5th, 2018, 10:56 am #5

Kentucky either wins straight up or loses by 20+.  My guess is the 20+.

September 5th, 2018, 11:28 am #6

Since we are talking about Florida everything here in Knoxville has become about that game.  The whole season hinges on that one game.  We have ETSU and UTEP to warm up for it and tickets are already going through the roof.  In a way it is nice, we can solely focus on that one game as we pretty much know we will lose the next three (UGA, Bama, and Auburn).   Florida better be ready for a raucous, loud crowd here though.  It is our bowl game. 

September 5th, 2018, 5:50 pm #7

UF has Kentucky and Colorado State.   Both teams should be tanned rested and ready.

September 6th, 2018, 6:39 am #8

#16 TCU (-22.5) over SMU
NORTHWESTERN (-2.5) over Duke
PURDUE (-14.5) over Eastern Mich
#18 Mississippi St. (-9.5) over KANSAS ST.
Nevada (+9.5) over VANDERBILT
Memphis (-4.5) over NAVY
#3 Georgia (-9.5) over #24 SOUTH CAROLINA
IOWA (-3.5) over Iowa St.
Appalachian State (-13.5) over CHARLOTTE 49ERS
#2 Clemson (-12.5) over TEXAS A&M
MISSOURI (-17.5) over Wyoming
UAB (-9.5) over COASTAL CAROLINA
Baylor (-14.5) over UTSA
Arkansas (-12.5) over COLORADO ST.
#13 Penn St. (-8.5) over PITTSBURGH

These are my 15 picks for my money gambling league...I was 11-4 last week. 1 spot out of the money. Someone went 12-3. Weekly winner gets about 1000 per week and last year I won 3 times. $175 buy in so good ROI and finished 3rd overall for another $800

I can change up until games start...the PSU/Pitt game is one I am wavering on. Feel good about the rest.

September 6th, 2018, 6:57 am #9

PSU I see going one of two ways.  Either App State is a giant killer and PSU really is very good which means they come out with something to prove or PSU just is not that great without all those really good players that left for the NFL last season.  I would not put money on that game.

September 6th, 2018, 7:02 am #10

DocVOLiday wrote: PSU I see going one of two ways.  Either App State is a giant killer and PSU really is very good which means they come out with something to prove or PSU just is not that great without all those really good players that left for the NFL last season.  I would not put money on that game.
Pitt is bad

September 6th, 2018, 7:07 am #11

nmerritt11 wrote: #16 TCU (-22.5) over SMU
Memphis (-4.5) over NAVY
Baylor (-14.5) over UTSA

These are my 15 picks for my money gambling league...I was 11-4 last week. 1 spot out of the money. Someone went 12-3. Weekly winner gets about 1000 per week and last year I won 3 times. $175 buy in so good ROI and finished 3rd overall for another $800

I can change up until games start...the PSU/Pitt game is one I am wavering on. Feel good about the rest.
Is the Clemson pick with your heart or your mind ?

September 6th, 2018, 7:14 am #12

Kentuckytoo wrote:
Memphis (-4.5) over NAVY
Baylor (-14.5) over UTSA

Mind

Oddshark has it as a consensus pick and computer models have predicted score 38-20

Public is on Clemson and all computer models are on Clemson as well.

I am thinking 34-17 or so. Clemson covered every road game except Cuse and NCSU last year and scored 30+ in every one

September 6th, 2018, 7:17 am #13

nmerritt11 wrote:
Kentuckytoo wrote:
Memphis (-4.5) over NAVY
Baylor (-14.5) over UTSA

Mind

Oddshark has it as a consensus pick and computer models have predicted score 38-20

I am thinking 34-17 or so. Clemson covered every road game except Cuse and NCSU last year and scored 30+ in every one
thanks …. 

September 6th, 2018, 7:20 am #14

Kentuckytoo wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote:
Kentuckytoo wrote:

Mind

thanks …. 
I am not an emotional better

September 6th, 2018, 7:37 am #15

nmerritt11 wrote:
Kentuckytoo wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote:
Mind

thanks …. 
I am not an emotional better
I am not either … I gather as much information from as many sources as I can before I place a bet …..

September 6th, 2018, 7:50 am #16

I can't disagree with you K2.  You killed it in week 1 on pick 'em.  What is the view like way up there in first?

September 6th, 2018, 8:11 am #17

DocVOLiday wrote: I can't disagree with you K2.  You killed it in week 1 on pick 'em.  What is the view like way up there in first?
even a broken clock is right twice a day … 

September 6th, 2018, 9:12 am #18

nmerritt11 wrote:
DocVOLiday wrote: PSU I see going one of two ways.  Either App State is a giant killer and PSU really is very good which means they come out with something to prove or PSU just is not that great without all those really good players that left for the NFL last season.  I would not put money on that game.
Pitt is bad
This is what makes that pick so hard.  App State made PSU look like Tennessee last year.  Not good.  But PITT is a mess and I'm not sure they can do anything against PSU.

September 7th, 2018, 3:55 am #19

brown dog wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote:
Pitt is bad
This is what makes that pick so hard.  App State made PSU look like Tennessee last year.  Not good.  But PITT is a mess and I'm not sure they can do anything against PSU.
Pitt cannot throw the ball so they will be one dimensional. App threw for 295 yards against PSU...

My thoughts are that PSU overlooked App a little and were already preparing for the instate rival.

September 7th, 2018, 5:51 am #20

I agree with you...App State always has a handful of athletes that can run with the big dogs.  I think it was telling that PSU couldn't run effectively.  That is where the top schools should have the advantage..and I'm not sure PSU does.

September 7th, 2018, 6:55 am #21

Buck Fan in Miami wrote: I agree with you...App State always has a handful of athletes that can run with the big dogs.  I think it was telling that PSU couldn't run effectively.  That is where the top schools should have the advantage..and I'm not sure PSU does.
I am shocked more schools have not reached out to Satterfield for job openings. That guy has transitioned App from FCS to FBS and they have been competitive with power 5 teams every year. I want to say Clemson is the only one to blow them out.

I just like PSU tomorrow because they will be able to stack the box and force Pitt to throw which they cant do. Last yearr againstt PSU he threw the ball 41 times for just 187 yards. 4.5 yards per attempt isnt gonna get the W

September 7th, 2018, 10:51 am #22

UGA beat App State easily last year.  The score was 31-10, but Eason was injured and Fromm had to play and they back doored the 10 points in the 4th qtr against the subs.  Basically, even with the starting QB out and a true freshman getting his first snaps the game was never close.

That's not to say they aren't a legit team though.  Hell of a lot tougher than Austin Peay and Furman.  ;)

September 7th, 2018, 11:48 am #23

3 day Army weekend.  Had to drive in early this morning and heard an interview replay on ESPN with Dabo form yesterday.   Mark Packard asked him about the qb situation.   He used the old adage "if you have two qb then that means you don't have one."  Dabo replied he actually has three that he can see playing every game.  It must be nice.  

September 7th, 2018, 12:14 pm #24

Here ya go!

September 7th, 2018, 2:35 pm #25

I love it. I was hoping they would give Duke more of a game but my boy Cutcliffe called a great game.