2019 Recruiting

2019 Recruiting

June 29th, 2018, 5:29 am #1

Dawg Days of Summer are upon us, it's hot (105 yesterday and I don't have AC), and we're still waiting for practice to start.  I was reading this article from Gator Country about SEC East talent, and that lead me to check out recruiting rankings.  So, how is your team's class shaping up?  

UGA's is ranked 13th by Rivals but has the highest average (4.1), so hopefully Kirby can close like he did last year.  There are only 10 kids committed right now, so there is plenty of room.  Most people think UGA will sign about 23.

Somethings that jump out at me:

Clemson has 18 commits but they avg 3.33 stars.  That's a really low avg for Clemson.
Tennessee has 12 commits and I think they will sign a giant class.
Gators are ranked 35th right now.  Mullen needs a top 10 class.
OSU and UofM have similar classes right now, but can Harbaugh out recruit Meyer down the stretch?

June 29th, 2018, 5:30 am #2

Penn State has the best avg in the Big10, so Franklin shouldn't be counted out.

June 29th, 2018, 6:29 am #3

brown dog wrote: Dawg Days of Summer are upon us, it's hot (105 yesterday and I don't have AC), and we're still waiting for practice to start.  I was reading this article from Gator Country about SEC East talent, and that lead me to check out recruiting rankings.  So, how is your team's class shaping up?  

UGA's is ranked 13th by Rivals but has the highest average (4.1), so hopefully Kirby can close like he did last year.  There are only 10 kids committed right now, so there is plenty of room.  Most people think UGA will sign about 23.

Somethings that jump out at me:

Clemson has 18 commits but they avg 3.33 stars.  That's a really low avg for Clemson.
Tennessee has 12 commits and I think they will sign a giant class.
Gators are ranked 35th right now.  Mullen needs a top 10 class.
OSU and UofM have similar classes right now, but can Harbaugh out recruit Meyer down the stretch?

Clemson is taking a class of around 30 so I wouldn’t read much into that. They also have a couple 3 stars that even Mike Farrell has said on Clemson board would likely get bumped.

Ladson, the WR, is ranked in 5 star territory if he doesn’t drop. Clemson also is likely to land 2-3 more five stars if projections play out.

This is a good class that isn’t close to complete and several prospects that they got on early that has seen their stock rise since committing to Clemson.

June 29th, 2018, 9:10 am #4

I figured you had your pulse on the recruiting.  30 is a huge class these days, but their small class last year should allow them to back count.

That's a good point about kids being close to 5 star and will probably get it by signing day.

June 29th, 2018, 9:27 am #5

I am starting to get cautiously optimistic about this class.  Pruitt and Smart are obviously coaching out of the same playbook but Pruitt is in just a completely different situation than Smart was with his first class.   Smart had an advantage by being able to tell recruits that they would be joining an immensely talented team with one of the best backfields in the nation whereas Pruitt is selling immediate playing time.  

BTW, I am not as worried about star ratings especially with a proven guy like Dabo.  Butch proved that without a plan it really does not matter how high your class is ranked.  I really get the feeling that Dabo is at a place he is plugging holes and really could care less about class rankings.   It is either that or Clemson is starting to feel the pinch of UGA and Tennessee reviving.   Clemson has benefited greatly from their misfortunes over the past decade.  Maybe Hunter Johnson is the last big name Clemson steals from us.  
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

June 29th, 2018, 2:28 pm #6

Mississippi State is killing it this year.  It certainly helps that the state of Mississippi has a bumper crop of blue chips but MS State has a couple 4 stars from out of state already committed and it looks like at least two more on the way to go with the dozen or so in-state blue chippers. 

This could be the best year ever for Mississippi State recruiting.

If State can keep this class going and recruit like this for a few years, they might just be one of the have's.  

June 30th, 2018, 4:50 am #7

Ohio State is ranked 2nd in Composite Team Rankings  by

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... amRankings

And ranked 9th by Rivals …

https://forums.rivals.com/threads/colle ... gs.712057/

as a side note: I notice that LSU was the only SEC team in the top 10 recruiting  classes on Rivals site …

247sports had 2 SEC Teams in the top 10 , Georgia and Alabama

Which rankings do you all think is more accurate ?
Alabama: Heart of the South

June 30th, 2018, 6:04 am #8

DocVOLiday wrote:    It is either that or Clemson is starting to feel the pinch of UGA and Tennessee reviving.   Clemson has benefited greatly from their misfortunes over the past decade.  Maybe Hunter Johnson is the last big name Clemson steals from us.  
I think somebody is going to be on the short end of the stick because there just isn't enough 4 and 5 stars to go around.  It feels like every school has upgraded their recruiting.  Smart at UGA, Pruitt at Tennessee, Jimbo at TAMU, Taggart at FSU, etc.  Something has to give.  

June 30th, 2018, 6:09 am #9

Kentuckytoo wrote:
as a side note: I notice that LSU was the only SEC team in the top 10 recruiting  classes on Rivals site …

247sports had 2 SEC Teams in the top 10 , Georgia and Alabama

Which rankings do you all think is more accurate ?
Right now all of the team rankings are off because there aren't enough kids committed.  It still shows momentum though.  Most people look at the avg stars and adjust a bit.  For example, Ole Miss is ranked 6th by Rivals, but they are almost full with 22 recruits and the average is 3.18.  Last year a full class with that average would finish about 20th.

Personally I like Rivals for individual players because they do a lot more research, but I do think they have a Southern and California bias.

June 30th, 2018, 11:42 am #10

None of sites evaluate small school players very well. At least that’s my opinion.

Lots of these MS small school players can’t even get an offer unless they go to a camp and dominate. THen they get two stars, three if it’s a big name school that offered him.

Once I. Awhile one will get some attention but not often.

sec realist
Site Admin

July 1st, 2018, 7:02 am #11

Recruiting will tell the tale for Mullen. It's really that simple.

The buzz is there, but until it translates to commitments it's just talk.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

July 1st, 2018, 1:11 pm #12

Hey SR,

What do you think is the biggest recruiting advantage Florida has over other schools …. and what do you think is Florida's biggest recruiting disadvantage when competing with other schools ...

sec realist
Site Admin

July 2nd, 2018, 3:43 am #13

Nothing has changed. Flagship university in the hottest of recruiting hotbeds.

Meyer was burned out, Muschamp didn't understand offense and McElwain was lazy. Maybe Mullen gets off to a fast start.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

July 2nd, 2018, 6:05 am #14

Do you think Jones will step in a make an immediate impact on the offense

July 9th, 2018, 3:47 am #15

Clemson looks to be close to securing a pledge from 5* DB Andrew Booth

Clemson/Auburn battle but Clemson seems to lead. Some feel he will commit at All In cookout this month as he just announced he would be attending

July 9th, 2018, 3:48 am #16

brown dog wrote: I figured you had your pulse on the recruiting.  30 is a huge class these days, but their small class last year should allow them to back count.

That's a good point about kids being close to 5 star and will probably get it by signing day.
I think the new rules allow you to count back as many as 5

As far as bump...Ladson is sitting at 28 ( I think) on rivals and usually 32-34 five stars and he’s gotten a bump every single release. He could end up top 15-20

Same with Booth assuming he announces Clemson as most expect. Technically not a 5* yet but sitting at 32

Maguire and Johnsonare both fringe 4* who should see a bump in next rankings as well

Constantine who was recently a 3* is one of the fastest risers this summer and just got MVP of 5* challenge. Will be interesting to see where he winds up. His stock rise reminds me of AJ Terrell a few years ago

July 12th, 2018, 4:27 am #17

This looks bad.  The kid commits, coach accepts commitment, coach talks to parents about commitment, and then he calls back to rescind the scholarship.
The wild recruitment of Thompson’s Station (Tenn.) Independence four-star wide receiver TJ Sheffield took another turn on Wednesday. Just days after announcing his commitment to Notre Dame, the 5-10, 170-pounder from the class of 2019 has reopened his recruitment and will now consider other schools.
Clearly there was a miscommunication on this front and Sheffield shed some light on this on Twitter earlier today.
“After establishing a long-term relationship with coach Alexander, the receivers coach for Notre Dame, I called him on the morning of the 6th of July and stat to him my intensions to commit,” wrote Sheffield in an announcement on Twitter. “Coach Alexander then congratulated me on committing and he spoke with my parents as well, stating that he looked forward to coaching me. Today I received a call from coach Alexander stating that Notre Dame was not going to honor my commitment due to a change of plans. Coach Alexander stated that he should have let me know on the 6th of July that Notre Dame had different plans. As a result of the information that I received today, my recruitment is now back open. I completely accept Notre Dame’s decision as God’s will for me and know that God has an open door that no man can shut. Thats again to Notre Dame for considering me as a possibility for their program Sincerely, TJ Sheffield. #2.”

July 12th, 2018, 5:16 am #18

Muschamp has done that to 2 or 3 kids since getting you SC but what he does is stops communicating with them. One high school coach will not let him back into his school

He fills the slot and then if someone higher on board wants to commit, he takes it, stops communicating with the other kid and forces them to recommit or offers a grey shirt

One kid didn’t know he wasn’t a take until just before signing day when most classes are filled. He had completely shut it down

July 12th, 2018, 9:36 am #19

nmerritt11 wrote: He fills the slot and then if someone higher on board wants to commit, he takes it, stops communicating with the other kid and forces them to recommit or offers a grey shirt
I'm pretty sure this is what Kirby does.  I don't know how he handles telling the kid he doesn't have a spot, but he is always trying to recruit over his current commits.  Making sausage and all that....

July 12th, 2018, 10:47 am #20

brown dog wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote: He fills the slot and then if someone higher on board wants to commit, he takes it, stops communicating with the other kid and forces them to recommit or offers a grey shirt
I'm pretty sure this is what Kirby does.  I don't know how he handles telling the kid he doesn't have a spot, but he is always trying to recruit over his current commits.  Making sausage and all that....
Kirby and Muschamp are friends so it would make sense

The difference is that Kirby is at georgia and they can get away with it. Muschamp could at Florida but SC doesn’t have that clout

July 14th, 2018, 1:07 pm #21

I found this nugget over on SCAR's SpurTalk forum.
UGA's staff knows that the talent margin is closing, that we are no longer a team with a couple of nice pieces - that we are getting deep. Sandridge was a cannon shot. A championship playoff run, at a position of need, and we still get the commitment - regardless of what is being written about currently (and make no mistake, it isn't a coincidence).

It has been a long time since we've been this deep. On the staff and on the roster. It's the middle of July and we are all in the same range of commitments and we are ahead of them. Pressure is all on them.
Cocks being delusional in July can be counted on like the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano!  Pressure is all on Kirby cause they just as talented and just as deep.  lol.  UGA has 17 five stars and they have ....  ZERO! 

July 14th, 2018, 3:45 pm #22

brown dog wrote: I found this nugget over on SCAR's SpurTalk forum.
UGA's staff knows that the talent margin is closing, that we are no longer a team with a couple of nice pieces - that we are getting deep. Sandridge was a cannon shot. A championship playoff run, at a position of need, and we still get the commitment - regardless of what is being written about currently (and make no mistake, it isn't a coincidence).

It has been a long time since we've been this deep. On the staff and on the roster. It's the middle of July and we are all in the same range of commitments and we are ahead of them. Pressure is all on them.
Cocks being delusional in July can be counted on like the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano!  Pressure is all on Kirby cause they just as talented and just as deep.  lol.  UGA has 17 five stars and they have ....  ZERO! 

Pickens is a 5* but it’s the first 5* they’ve gotten since Clowney. Last year was first rivals 100 player they’ve gotten since Bailey. They ar comical right now

July 14th, 2018, 7:05 pm #23

They're deep!  Tons of elite talent!

July 16th, 2018, 6:23 am #24

and they have a great coach. .. ask any florida fan ...