Recognizing Sue

General information about the game, like rules and the like, is posted here. Please read everything marked with 'must read'; it is crucial to being accepted.

Rules :: Plot :: Recognizing Sue :: Application Guide :: Staff

Recognizing Sue

Sep 30 2007, 03:40 PM #1

R E C O G N I Z I N G . S U E

I'm guessing that most of you have an idea of what a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is; this character that is either just too perfect, has completely unrealistic abilities, or who can get away with absolutely anything. Nothing is more annoying, and nothing is less entertaining to RP with. That's why we here at Closer do not accept Mary Sues. But how does one recognize a Mary Sue? It isn't always that easy, especially when we're talking about personal characters. So we have created this section, to help you identify these nasty creations known as Mary Sues.

I N F O R M A T I O N . A B O U T . S U E
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>A quick search would provide a long list of links explaining what a Mary Sue is, but to simplify matters, we've decided to put a helpful link here.</span>
T E S T S
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Although these tests can be a little wrong every now and then, they are a good starting point if you really want to know if your character is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu. There are several tests like these on the net, but we've chosen to make these two easily available for you. Remember: The results of these tests are not final, and as they have both stated: Not every Mary Sue characteristic is necessarily a Mary Sue trait, so your character can easily be a good, balanced character even if it has some of the traits listed as Mary Sue traits. Even real people have been characterized as Mary Sues according to tests, so it just goes to show that Mary Sueness is relative.
</span>