XE 400 Spread Bore Aluminum Intake for 4V heads.....

XE 400 Spread Bore Aluminum Intake for 4V heads.....

May 30th, 2012, 10:58 pm #1

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this intake.. I don't have pics right now, but I have a 400 intake, it's aluminum, spread bore, and has the big 4V ports.. Got it from a Ford engineer that worked in the XE department... but the XE numbers are grounded off, but he said it had them....... I can't find any info.. I see info on a iron 4v intake, and another one with 2V ports......

May 30th, 2012, 11:14 pm #2

Pictures Please!

May 30th, 2012, 11:26 pm #3

Ya, I'll get it out this weekend and take some pics...... I first thought it was a Boss 351 Intake, until I noticed how wide it was.....wish it still had the part number on it.... so without the part number, I was just wondering if anyone had heard of such a intake, or was this a one-off prototype???? Thanx, EJ

May 31st, 2012, 2:15 pm #4

an aluminum 400 intake would blow my mind. we had a iron one turn up a few years back, but aluminum? wow!

Wiki Iron 400 4V intake..

http://351cleveland.wetpaint.com/page/Ford+400+4V

~blizz

Happy New Year 2012!!..

May 31st, 2012, 3:58 pm #5

if this pans out...we need to pass the plate around the group to raise some cash and see if we can have it molded and re-cast. There seems to be an abundance of casting going on around here, why not try and make this item on the wish list come true. Best part is no real design work work is required (optional however). That is the expensive bit. What do you think?

May 31st, 2012, 6:02 pm #6

one aluminum and one iron to start...both standard 4-holers. Can you get a good spreadbore carby?
b

June 1st, 2012, 3:11 am #7

n/m

June 1st, 2012, 1:13 pm #8

if this pans out...we need to pass the plate around the group to raise some cash and see if we can have it molded and re-cast. There seems to be an abundance of casting going on around here, why not try and make this item on the wish list come true. Best part is no real design work work is required (optional however). That is the expensive bit. What do you think?
Where do you get the idea that the hard part has been done? Once the design work is finished, the hard part is only beginning. Pattern making is a very tricky and involved process. Not only a pattern must be made, but also joint board, and core boxes. Then, the size and location of the chills needs to be determined, and that is a trial and error process. Experience helps, but doesn't work every time.

If the foundry pattern drawings can be located, or better yet, the original patterns and core boxes, that would make things much easier. But don't fool yourself, it's no walk in the park.

I have made many patterns, core boxes, etc. in the past for reproduction parts. Got the finished product as perfect as I possibly could and sent samples out to the appropriate sellers only to have the distributors and retailers tell me there was no market for that part. Interestingly enough, they usually started selling the same item, of much lower quality, within several months but sourced from offshore.

If you're going to do this, line up all your customers first, have them invest in the product development, be clear that it could fail and the investment lost, and see how big the lineup gets.

Your biggest competition will be those selling adapter plates to mount the 351C manifold to 4V heads on the raised block.

I would say a minimum of 30 manifolds, 50 would be even better.

Pattern costs, tooling costs, etc. will need to be spread over the production run.

If you are still interested, lets talk.

Don

June 1st, 2012, 1:56 pm #9

since i have only tangent exposure to the casting business (supply wax for lost wax casting) - I will admit i don't know what i don't know. I didn't mean to imply casting work is easy - far from it based on the testimony of others looking for casting work. I have no idea what it would cost to design such an intake from scratch - might be nothing - might be a lot. But in this case, it is not an issue - a step could be skipped. Perhaps in an attempt to make that point I didn't convey it well. Please take no offense...none was intended.

Regarding spacers: I own some myself and enjoy the flexibility of options they offer. however,I thought there might be a market for an intake that did not require spacers - for some who still have to have the car/truck inspected - spacers would likely never pass. For folks who have to just get a visual inspection - iron or aluminum would likely pass. For some, having iron would be the only was to pass. I believe a fair number of truck/400 combo owners would be thrilled to have such an option (like me).

The upside: I am surprised/delighted to hear the number of intakes that would be needed to make if feasible is that low...I was expecting a much higher number. Given that, I think it would be interesting to continue the discussion.

Regards,
Brad

June 1st, 2012, 3:16 pm #10

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this intake.. I don't have pics right now, but I have a 400 intake, it's aluminum, spread bore, and has the big 4V ports.. Got it from a Ford engineer that worked in the XE department... but the XE numbers are grounded off, but he said it had them....... I can't find any info.. I see info on a iron 4v intake, and another one with 2V ports......
> Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this intake.. I don't have pics
> right now, but I have a 400 intake, it's aluminum, spread bore, and has the
> big 4V ports

Is the carb pattern for a Motorcraft 4300D spread bore or a Qjet/ThermoQuad?
It's really interesting that it has 4V ports. Does anyone recall a 400
aftermarket intake with ports that could be ported to a 4V size? I remember
someone showing me such an animal when I was just getting into Clevelands.
I'm pretty sure it was an aftermarket intake and not an XE part.

Dan Jones