WOW! I am heavy!

WOW! I am heavy!

May 22nd, 2012, 8:59 am #1

Went to the track Saturday for some fun. Was a strange night all together.
The local track was running "Old school back half" cars and Xstreme 275 drag radials (I don't run either of those just test and tune for my own fun). Anyway they had the scales set up sooooo what the hey! I put my old gal on the scales and HOLLY COW! She really is a cow!In street trim with me in it and 1/2 tank of fuel,3760lbs! 185LBS was my fat butt! I would have never thought it was that heavy. I guess my little C is really doing pretty well for what it is. May be time to do some freshening up and inspection.It is running great,just seems to be slowing by a couple of tenths since Febuary.
The strange part of the night goes back to what we were discusing a few weeks ago about cars over powering tires / traction. It seems to be getting crazy out there. Way more power than the tires peaple are running. I know it is a test to see who can go fast consistantly on a limited tire but at what piont does the fun and safety go away? Reminds me of the sixties and the old AA/ Alterds running.They just barely go straight. Some of these cars just cannot stay in the groove and go straight.
Saw one Mustang take out the timers on a by run it was just skating across the track.A few rounds later a beautiful 67/68 Camaro 10.5 car barreled roll after kissing the gaurd rail and cutting a rear tire. It was no cheap thrown together car either! At what point do you stop? I went home after that. I guess I am the old guy now, just does not look like alot of fun when you are messing with your safety and health.
Last I heard the driver is going to be OK. It was a 131mph barrel roll. I will stick to my old heavy slow cow, no preasure just fun.

May 22nd, 2012, 2:00 pm #2

over 4 thou , co oes the cam-a-row and the challenger .

May 22nd, 2012, 2:27 pm #3

The local track was running "Old school back half" cars and Xstreme 275 drag radials (I don't run either of those just test and tune for my own fun). Anyway they had the scales set up sooooo what the hey! I put my old gal on the scales and HOLLY COW! She really is a cow!In street trim with me in it and 1/2 tank of fuel,3760lbs! 185LBS was my fat butt! I would have never thought it was that heavy. I guess my little C is really doing pretty well for what it is. May be time to do some freshening up and inspection.It is running great,just seems to be slowing by a couple of tenths since Febuary.
The strange part of the night goes back to what we were discusing a few weeks ago about cars over powering tires / traction. It seems to be getting crazy out there. Way more power than the tires peaple are running. I know it is a test to see who can go fast consistantly on a limited tire but at what piont does the fun and safety go away? Reminds me of the sixties and the old AA/ Alterds running.They just barely go straight. Some of these cars just cannot stay in the groove and go straight.
Saw one Mustang take out the timers on a by run it was just skating across the track.A few rounds later a beautiful 67/68 Camaro 10.5 car barreled roll after kissing the gaurd rail and cutting a rear tire. It was no cheap thrown together car either! At what point do you stop? I went home after that. I guess I am the old guy now, just does not look like alot of fun when you are messing with your safety and health.
Last I heard the driver is going to be OK. It was a 131mph barrel roll. I will stick to my old heavy slow cow, no preasure just fun.
My 72 Mach 1 has been on the scales twice and it was 3470 with 1/2 tank of gas and I still have the 460 in it! I know that those 73 front bumpers weigh a ton. I did a search for Boss 351 weights and got 3520 and 3280. I know the big block weighs about 200 pounds more than the Cleveland so I would say the 3280 is about right for a Boss 351.
Andy

[/IMG]

May 22nd, 2012, 4:00 pm #4

I weighed my 73 cougar years ago at track in street trim and it weighed 3530 without me. Since I did body work we removed all sound deadner half of the impact front bumper but also added roll bar! It now weighs in at 3425. Definately heavy cars but they look cool?Nice Mach by the way.
Last edited by steve.k on May 22nd, 2012, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 22nd, 2012, 4:16 pm #5

The published "shipping weight" figures seem to be without fluids and with helium in the tires. My 67 has a listed "shipping weight" is listed at around 2600. With a fiberglass hood, the car weighed 3340. Now with no AC/heat, lightweight buckets, no back seat, aluminum fuel cell, fiberglass hood and bumper, 8 point bar it still weighs 3040. Mustang has one seat, no AC/heat, fuel cell, 8 point, no rear seat - 2970. 65A coupe shipping weight is around 2750.

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

May 22nd, 2012, 4:45 pm #6

I weighed my 73 cougar years ago at track in street trim and it weighed 3530 without me. Since I did body work we removed all sound deadner half of the impact front bumper but also added roll bar! It now weighs in at 3425. Definately heavy cars but they look cool?Nice Mach by the way.
I have owned this car since September of 73. Always new it was heavy, I would have said 3600 at the most, but 3760! I might as well be running a Torino are Montego.
The car still has all the AC etc....and I have an aluminum water pump, intake,headers, etc....just think what a stock one weighs with cast iron intake,manifolds and water pump!
Maybe I need to look into the Crites glass bumper and an aluminum beam in the front bumper?lol

May 22nd, 2012, 7:06 pm #7

1972 convertible full street trim and AC/power steering, and with me in it at 225 lbs.
I better start a diet.

Last edited by jorgem2 on May 22nd, 2012, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 22nd, 2012, 10:05 pm #8

The published "shipping weight" figures seem to be without fluids and with helium in the tires. My 67 has a listed "shipping weight" is listed at around 2600. With a fiberglass hood, the car weighed 3340. Now with no AC/heat, lightweight buckets, no back seat, aluminum fuel cell, fiberglass hood and bumper, 8 point bar it still weighs 3040. Mustang has one seat, no AC/heat, fuel cell, 8 point, no rear seat - 2970. 65A coupe shipping weight is around 2750.

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.
if the shipping weight is off that far, I'm glad I was never a trucker crossing the scales with 8 or 10 of them, could easily be off by one whole car!

My all fiberglass Cobra Replica weighs 2600 without me in it, so anyone telling you their all steel Camaro/Nova/ChevyII is under 3000 is dreaming. What are suprisingly light cars ar 56-57 Chevys, but I don't know how light.

~blizz

Happy New Year 2012!!..

May 22nd, 2012, 11:00 pm #9

I heard if you strip the chrome off the door lock buttons, it takes off .1 seconds. Car wash quarters in the ash tray...
b

May 22nd, 2012, 11:03 pm #10

1972 convertible full street trim and AC/power steering, and with me in it at 225 lbs.
I better start a diet.
I talked to a transman at the track Saturday. I am going to start my 4R70W quest. I also scored a set of Hooker Super comps(new ones). I am trying to accumulate everything for a refresh and a big cam change etc.....hoping to be ready for all this by the end of the summer.I don't want to do it during racing season plus going easy on the cash flow. I will be checking in with you on occasion.