Which Alternator will be easiest

Which Alternator will be easiest

November 26th, 2011, 6:29 pm #1

I want to use the stock alternator brackets I got off of eBay. I don't have a/c or electric fan, so I don't need a high amp unit. Which kind is easiest to use? The one wire kind, or the one of those 3G ones I was reading about from a 94/95 GT? I am using regular v belts. Also, where should I buy it? There are a ton of alternators online, but don't know which one will fit like stock. Any help would be appreciated.

November 26th, 2011, 11:37 pm #2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTANG-1G ... 2174wt_689

It is a 1G alternator redone to be 1 wire, but also has another wire to indicate on the dash. In my reading on here, some people have said that it isn't enough to just go to the + post, but needs to go to the ignition to know to start charging. Is this true?

November 27th, 2011, 3:07 am #3

I have the 3G in my cat. It runs a constant 14.7-14.9 volts, even at idle. I think I got the one for a 95 Mustang, and it was a direct bolt in. You do have to rewire for them, but the three wires are pretty easy.

November 28th, 2011, 2:01 pm #4

I put a 3G alternator in my '70 Mustang and I absolutely love how it works. I immediately noticed a difference in the dash lights and just in general keeping a charge on the battery if the car isn't run very frequently.

I can't remember what junkyard car I got my $25 125 amp alternator from, but a lot of the mid to late 90s Fords have them. You just have to find one with the correct distance between the mounting locations.

I bought the wiring harness parts from PA Performance. They are a great company to work with.
Last edited by 70vert on November 28th, 2011, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 28th, 2011, 4:59 pm #5

I use the one wire because it isthe only one that can be set up to kill the car from the rear cut off switch. NHRA demands a rear cut off switch on any car with rear mounted battery. The one whire is the only set up that will kill the car when the power wire is cut. If some one has a way to use a ford charging systom and kill the engine with a cut off switch I would like to know how to set this up.

November 28th, 2011, 9:01 pm #6

I put a 3G alternator in my '70 Mustang and I absolutely love how it works. I immediately noticed a difference in the dash lights and just in general keeping a charge on the battery if the car isn't run very frequently.

I can't remember what junkyard car I got my $25 125 amp alternator from, but a lot of the mid to late 90s Fords have them. You just have to find one with the correct distance between the mounting locations.

I bought the wiring harness parts from PA Performance. They are a great company to work with.
It seems that the higher the amps, the more I might need a different pulley setup. I think the 130 amp will require a dual belt from what I've read, or it can squeal or break at high rpm. I also read where a 130 amp overcharged a battery causing trouble. I think I will find a 1G 1 wire with the extra wire for the dash warning light. Since I don't have AC a 70 amp should be enough.

November 28th, 2011, 9:26 pm #7

I hate v belts and I would get rid of them on any car that wasn't completely stock. You probably wouldn't need more than 95 amp at the most even if you use an electric fan. The 95 amp models are easy to find cheap in a junkyard. That was a big part of why I did the 3G. You are right a 1 wire GM alt is easier to install and that's what you asked for - the easiest.

I hate to put any GM part on my Ford, but I can understand why some don't care. The 1 wire alternators aren't that distinctive so they don't shout "Chivy part!" like some other pieces do. At least it's not an HEI dizzy. I REALLY dispise those things.
Last edited by 70vert on November 28th, 2011, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 28th, 2011, 10:03 pm #8

I was told ICE Ignition was a great setup, so I was sold a kit.

http://www.iceignition.com/carbureted-v ... treet-race

So, I have one of those HEI style distributors.....As for the pulleys I don't know enough to know why not use V belts. I am going through a lot of this stuff alone. I should see if there are any cleveland pros in the Sacramento, CA area for some help.

November 29th, 2011, 12:06 am #9

I hate v belts and I would get rid of them on any car that wasn't completely stock. You probably wouldn't need more than 95 amp at the most even if you use an electric fan. The 95 amp models are easy to find cheap in a junkyard. That was a big part of why I did the 3G. You are right a 1 wire GM alt is easier to install and that's what you asked for - the easiest.

I hate to put any GM part on my Ford, but I can understand why some don't care. The 1 wire alternators aren't that distinctive so they don't shout "Chivy part!" like some other pieces do. At least it's not an HEI dizzy. I REALLY dispise those things.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFF-7078NE/ Says it is the Ford 1g case. 70 amps, should be enough.

November 29th, 2011, 7:14 pm #10

I was told ICE Ignition was a great setup, so I was sold a kit.

http://www.iceignition.com/carbureted-v ... treet-race

So, I have one of those HEI style distributors.....As for the pulleys I don't know enough to know why not use V belts. I am going through a lot of this stuff alone. I should see if there are any cleveland pros in the Sacramento, CA area for some help.
Sorry, I should probably keep my mouth shut a little more, Dan. The HEI dizzys work great and there's nothing wrong with v belts. I just have my own biases about parts and what I like and don't. Chevy has made great motors and great designs. I think I have a bit of a neurosis where it comes to having any Chevy part in my Ford. Really there's no reason not to use what works and is inexpensive.