Want to scream!! header problems

Want to scream!! header problems

July 3rd, 2012, 6:15 am #1

Switched transmissions in my 1969 mach 1 to a 4r70w (4speed/overdrive) with Optishift controller. Everything is done but headers. My Hooker super comps would not fit. Transmission is to wide and electronics are right where the super comps drop down. I ordered Sanderson FC4 shorty headers. They will work with my transmission. Problem is I cannot get the header bolt in. Shock tower is right in the way and the header tube is right up next to the bolt hole. You cannot get your hand in there to turn the bolt and push it up in the hole. It was the last bolt to put in on the passenger side. Going to try and lift the motor to the side and see if I can get at it. My hooker super comps at least you could reach behind it and get the bolt in. These headers are so tight there is no room for that. Cant cut a hole in the shock tower. Its where the suspension is bolted to. Any one else use sandersons and have this problem.

July 3rd, 2012, 11:10 am #2

to take all of the bolts out of that header and start with the bolt you are having trouble with. I have done this before. Hold the header away from the head put that bolt through the flange and just start threading it in.Don't pull it up until you have ALL of the other bolts started. Then pull them up evenly. Good luck!

July 3rd, 2012, 12:20 pm #3

^^^ What he said

July 3rd, 2012, 7:37 pm #4

You can't put Hookers on a 302 unless you stager-start the bolts. Can't just bolt it up. Back 'em out, start two long bolts in a couple of clear holes to support the header, then start the problem bolts followed by the less problem and the no problem. Takes me 5 times longer to place the headers on my 302 compared to the Tubulars on a 351C.

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

July 4th, 2012, 1:08 am #5

Tried all that you guys said. I ended up lifting the motor to one side and putting a stud in. Last time I put a stud in I could not get the header to go on it. Because it was so close to the shock tower. With the motor up I was able to get it done. I found out the hole for the bolt was not drilled right and it threw off all the other bolt holes. A trip to the drill press and one size up on the hole and everything fell into place. The motor is a 388c stroker Cleveland. The headers were Sanderson FC4 Shortys. Had to cancel the Exhaust shop appointment and now they cant get the car in to do the exhaust until Wednesday next week. I leave Friday next week for powercruise. Will have a Day and a half to play with the New transmission and computer before the trip. Will report back with updates on how it goes.

Thanks all.

Dave.

Original name was (Built351C) But had to stroke the motor when the solid cam ate a lifter. Now its Built388C

I think the cleveland has plenty of torque. Its like the wild kingdom. It just lets its prey have a head start before the kill.

July 4th, 2012, 2:36 am #6

those '67 - '70 chassis are a pain

great work ... have fun on the power tour