Upgrading 2b carb to 4b carb

Upgrading 2b carb to 4b carb

April 10th, 2013, 2:36 pm #1

I have a 1971 Torino GT with a 351 2v and the carburetor is starting to go so I figured its time for a swap. I would like some advice on swapping to a 4bbl carb. I know that I would have to get a different intake but any opinions on good intakes to use and advice on carburetors. This is purely a street car no strip intentions for it but I would like a little extra juice. Also I might switch to a mild cam while Im at it as well haven't made up my mind yet.

April 10th, 2013, 2:42 pm #2

Edelbrock Performer intake, 1406 Ed carb (600 CFM, electric choke). Us a small 1" or so Moroso non metallic spacer between the intake and carb. If you are in a typically warm climate, block the crossover passages with stainless shim stock .010~.015. Easy to tune if required, set and forget type carb, good street manners.

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

April 10th, 2013, 2:47 pm #3

Thanks a lot for the info. I've been diving all around the net on this and no one gives good advice because I want to keep the stock heads. All they say is go 4v. Anyways I live in VA might drive the car sometimes in the winter on a nice day. Still use the shims?

April 10th, 2013, 4:28 pm #4

The only issue I've ever had with an Ed carb on an intake was in the Texas heat on an iron intake without some thermal isolation for the carb. In VA I think you safe with just a quality (Moroso) spacer because the intake heat will be under the plenum and not directly exposed to the underside of the carb. Do not use a cheap (Jegs, Summit) spacer because they are plastic and will deform. The Performer carb should have all the connections you require for PCV, vacuum and such but you may have to drill/tap the rear of the spacer for a 3/8" nipple should you need an extra port. The 1406 I have on the shelf has a rear port with a plug, so that may not even be necessary. The performer works well on the street because it does a good job of metering fuel in the primaries at low engine speeds. 2V heads are fine, enjoy the car. This is our 2V open chamber motor at work:

1970 Mustang 351C-2V

April 10th, 2013, 6:47 pm #5

I have a 1971 Torino GT with a 351 2v and the carburetor is starting to go so I figured its time for a swap. I would like some advice on swapping to a 4bbl carb. I know that I would have to get a different intake but any opinions on good intakes to use and advice on carburetors. This is purely a street car no strip intentions for it but I would like a little extra juice. Also I might switch to a mild cam while Im at it as well haven't made up my mind yet.
Agree with CK's Edelbrock Performer intake recommendation

I am not opposed to the carb recommendation either, but would like to suggest an alternative

i.e. Summit Racing's M08600VS - 600 cfm, vacuum secondary, electric choke, and annular boosters - $260

-G

Pantera Photos | Pantera Motors | Six Photo Albums of 351C Info | One | Two | Three | Four | Five | Six

April 10th, 2013, 7:40 pm #6

That also is a good option. A 4100 Ford and a Holley had sex and the offspring was raised by Summit Racing. I've run a 750 version of that on a 4V open single plane engine and the carb was great. Only issue is tuning the pump shot - have to use a drill or buy the shooter/emulsion tube assembly.

1970 Mustang 351C-2V

April 11th, 2013, 12:37 pm #7

Thanks for all the information. I will keep you up to date on the build and maybe upload some pictures soon.