torco 11o fuel

torco 11o fuel

September 6th, 2011, 1:09 pm #1

I was just wondering if any of you have used Torco 11o?A local dealer here is stocking this fuel so me and a buddy went halfers on a barrel.The problem is we both developed highspeed misses around 6800??We thought we were both have rev limiter troubles??Both engines ran fine on c-12 before?With this fuel so far I have run 11.50 @ 117.5 with a 1.59 60ft. car weighs 3640 with me in it and popping at high rpm??

September 7th, 2011, 12:51 pm #2

Try taking some timing out of it.  I had the same problem when switching from C12 to another fuel.

September 7th, 2011, 12:56 pm #3

How much did you take out??I only have 28 degrees??

September 7th, 2011, 3:16 pm #4

I was just wondering if any of you have used Torco 11o?A local dealer here is stocking this fuel so me and a buddy went halfers on a barrel.The problem is we both developed highspeed misses around 6800??We thought we were both have rev limiter troubles??Both engines ran fine on c-12 before?With this fuel so far I have run 11.50 @ 117.5 with a 1.59 60ft. car weighs 3640 with me in it and popping at high rpm??
Steve, Has the performance dropped off?  The misfire indicates tha either it doesn't like the fuel at the current timing/jet sttings, or you have some other problem.  If you dyno'd with C12 at 28 degrees timing and a certain jet the torco might not tolerate that much timing with the C12 jetting.  I don't know how the octane rating of the two fuels compares, but even if the published octane ratings are the same it's still not the same fuel.  I would start by taking a couple of degrees out and see if the misfire goes away.  Remember that timing and A/F ratio are connected, retarding the timing will make it richer.  If the misfire goes away lean it out to see if you can make any performance gains.  Only make one change at a time (timing or jet) and give it at least a couple of passes to get some good data.  When all is said and done your car may not perform as well with the torco fuel, you just have to find what makes it "happy"

Good Luck, Ged

September 7th, 2011, 4:53 pm #5

Thanks GED for your info. Here's what I've done so far. There is two changes from when we dynoed, first off I used 1 3/4 tube headers as the 2" we dynoed with won't fit in chassis, and second is the fuel. I have been chasing this misfire since I changed fuel, I have been as lean as 82 jets and as rich as 88 on the other side. The engine made peak power on dyno at 84 jets and weather station tells me it wants 86 at our track. It does run the best et at 86 jets but still has bobble at 6700 rpm and up?when the misfire hits it's like the rev limiter is kicking in and if I slack off or shift it disappears ?We ran everything else on dyno,such as wires, plugs(which I changed),msd,distributor, and so on?I even changed rev limiter chips thinking it was that?I'm starting to scratch my head , so that's why I asked about the fuel. Will you get a highspeed miss like this if your fuel is not adequate for your compression ratio?I know this fuel is rated the same but maybe something in my engine combo is not favorable for this fuel or it's something totally different?

September 7th, 2011, 5:54 pm #6

i expected to find more variation in SG's

Torco 110 SG is .72
Motor Octane is 108
Research Octane is 113

C12 Specific Gravity: .717 @ 60F
Motor Octane is 108
Research Octane must be about the same as Torco to avg 110
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/c-12-spec.html

but as stated above there may be a difference in the blend or additives that makes a difference

maybe you both whipped your valvesprings at the same time?

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

September 7th, 2011, 7:17 pm #7

Tinman I thought about that to but those springs have about 18 dyno pulls and 10 1/4 mile passes and they started at the first 1/4 mile pass??

September 7th, 2011, 7:37 pm #8

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

September 7th, 2011, 8:06 pm #9

230 on seat 650 open brand new comps. Comp called for 190 and 540 I upped it on order to get proper height on heads!
Last edited by steve.k on September 7th, 2011, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 7th, 2011, 8:54 pm #10

Thanks GED for your info. Here's what I've done so far. There is two changes from when we dynoed, first off I used 1 3/4 tube headers as the 2" we dynoed with won't fit in chassis, and second is the fuel. I have been chasing this misfire since I changed fuel, I have been as lean as 82 jets and as rich as 88 on the other side. The engine made peak power on dyno at 84 jets and weather station tells me it wants 86 at our track. It does run the best et at 86 jets but still has bobble at 6700 rpm and up?when the misfire hits it's like the rev limiter is kicking in and if I slack off or shift it disappears ?We ran everything else on dyno,such as wires, plugs(which I changed),msd,distributor, and so on?I even changed rev limiter chips thinking it was that?I'm starting to scratch my head , so that's why I asked about the fuel. Will you get a highspeed miss like this if your fuel is not adequate for your compression ratio?I know this fuel is rated the same but maybe something in my engine combo is not favorable for this fuel or it's something totally different?
Sometimes we do think of or we mistake detonation as a misfire, Retarding the timing is easy to do and then you can eliminate that as a cause.  Put the jet in it that seems to run the best and start taking timing out.  Don't focus on the number of degrees or the size of the jets.  If your performance increases as you make changes you know you are on the right track.  If you take some timing out and the et drops and still misfires timing my not be the problem.  Be patient......this kind of stuff will twist you up....