titanium intake valve question

titanium intake valve question

April 26th, 2012, 5:23 am #1

I was just wondering about titanium valves.
on ebay some 6 MM Del West titanium intake valves Old nascar parts (starting bid of $9.99)
anyway the valve have a 2.18 head size (very close to 4v cleveland size of 2.19)
length is 5.9 inches longer than a 351 cleveland valve (think the cleveland valve is 5.244)
anyway just thinking maybe they could be used in a 351 4V head.
i know a guy would need to install different guides to match the 6MM diameter
but what about cutting the length? and machining the keeper groove?
if it could be done who can do it? any machine shop , or a more speciality shop?
and what would it cost?
just thought this could be an interesting deal if a guy could have the length and groove recut
ebay item number 150802652403
anyone have any idea?
thanks Bill

April 26th, 2012, 7:41 pm #2

There is a guy/company that sells on eBay called Jarvis machine, IIRC, that will do some resizing of titanium valves. He also sells reconditioned Ti valves and stuff. I don't know about cutting the stems down, but he says he can resize the heads. 2.18 is close enough that the seats should handle it okay. I put some 2.125 sized intakes in my B302 with no problem.
I had some questions about using titanium valves quite a while back on this forum, and IIRC the thread was saved onto the wiki. Might be worth your while to take a look at that thread for some other considerations. I do have all kinds of used titanium valves lying around. If you like, I could do some measuring and see if I have what you want in length, stem size and head diameter, once you see if it would be practical to run 'em for your intended use.

A Visigoth explains the sack of Rome: We wanted art, literature...culture! We're sorry we broke some stuff.

April 26th, 2012, 10:37 pm #3

I was just wondering about titanium valves.
on ebay some 6 MM Del West titanium intake valves Old nascar parts (starting bid of $9.99)
anyway the valve have a 2.18 head size (very close to 4v cleveland size of 2.19)
length is 5.9 inches longer than a 351 cleveland valve (think the cleveland valve is 5.244)
anyway just thinking maybe they could be used in a 351 4V head.
i know a guy would need to install different guides to match the 6MM diameter
but what about cutting the length? and machining the keeper groove?
if it could be done who can do it? any machine shop , or a more speciality shop?
and what would it cost?
just thought this could be an interesting deal if a guy could have the length and groove recut
ebay item number 150802652403
anyone have any idea?
thanks Bill
my 2 cents

nominal intake valve length is 5.231". Titanium valves, like stainless valves, should be equipped with a hardened steel tip. If you shorten the valve stem, better have a plan B for protecting the valve tip. The smaller the valve stem diameter, the more critical rocker arm geometry becomes (the target gets smaller).

-G

Pantera Photos | 351C Historic Information | 351C Technical Information

If you use a 351C 4V powered vehicle for a grocery getter ... the eggs aren't going to make it home!

April 29th, 2012, 5:05 am #4

I purchased some nice Victory 1 titanium intakes. I had them sized to 2.19 dia., shortened(+.100), retipped,and regrooved, by Victory 1 in N.C. Great job, fast turnaround, and well worth the cost.
mike

April 29th, 2012, 5:02 pm #5

I had the same thing done with bbc intakes and it was done by my local machine shop. He also drilled the tips for the hardened tips and I also use lash caps to protect them as well.......