timing?

timing?

March 25th, 2013, 10:11 pm #1

I have a 73cougar recently rebuild 351c w/aussie heads,600holley,isky270 mega cam,bored 30over, with KB pistons and is timed at 12deg....no problem once i start car in the morning or is been sitting for 10mins or longer (cold) car would start...when car is hot or warmed up just by getting gas or anywhere that i go in n out, car will not fire up again...it would jus go emh...emh...emh will not turn... is that timing issue or something else...help....thx!

March 25th, 2013, 10:54 pm #2

Is it turning over slowly when warm? 12 degrees initial is not over advanced enough cause that.

March 25th, 2013, 11:40 pm #3

True 12 degrees isn't enough to make the motor hard to start when its hot, but what if 12 degrees isn't really 12 degrees, what if its more?

Is your car's motor still equipped with the OEM crankshaft damper? If so, the ring has likely spun on the hub a bit, and 12 degrees advance is actually more than 20 degrees .

If this sounds plausible, retard the ignition and see if the hot starting improves.

-G

Pantera Photos | Pantera Motors | Six Photo Albums of 351C Info | One | Two | Three | Four | Five | Six

March 26th, 2013, 1:45 am #4

I have a 73cougar recently rebuild 351c w/aussie heads,600holley,isky270 mega cam,bored 30over, with KB pistons and is timed at 12deg....no problem once i start car in the morning or is been sitting for 10mins or longer (cold) car would start...when car is hot or warmed up just by getting gas or anywhere that i go in n out, car will not fire up again...it would jus go emh...emh...emh will not turn... is that timing issue or something else...help....thx!
Timing is not your issue. Go and get some 0 or 1 ott welding cable and some terminals to fit your starter and selonoid, run a cable from the battery to the starter selo and from the selonoid to the starter. also make sure your alternator is charging up around 14 volts when you are above an idle and last but not least make sure you have a strong battery loke 750 cc amps or larger. The only thing else that could be going on is your starter is getting weak so you might want to get it checked at a auto parts store. If you take care of these simple changes you won't have a problem again.

March 26th, 2013, 5:52 pm #5

What pistons did you use? If they're the zero deck flat tops that thing has over well over 11:1. Even down in the hole .030 it'd have 10.5:1. High compression with a small cam is going to be hard to light up hot. I ran almost 11:1 with timing locked at 28* and it would barely start hot with a much bigger cam. 195psi cranking pressure.

Like George said check TDC on your balancer and make sure it hasn't slipped. MAGS is right on with the big ole battery and welding cable. MSD has start retard boxes. There's always better starters. If you're a penny pincher like me you can put a push button to control the starter. Use the button to spin the motor over without ignition then turn the spark on. Works very good.

I bet that thing is a riot on the street!

March 26th, 2013, 6:02 pm #6

I think even at twelve its going to have a tough time when warm.Have your dist recurved so you have basically no advance at start up.Have your advance springs set up so they are very light and once it starts and Idles the advance pulls in.Do you run the vac advance?I dont like to run it at all and have my advance curve to be all in by 1500-2000 max.If you like to run vac have it set light at start up then vac advance will take over from there.

March 26th, 2013, 7:36 pm #7

I used to have this issue all the time. Found it was my starter (stock) getting hot. Part of what helped is HUGE battery cables as well as running an extra battery cable from the block to the frame - you'd be amazed at how much just that simple fix might help (the extra cable from block to frame).

March 26th, 2013, 7:42 pm #8

Earlier poster is correct about the damper being off on alignment, that can cause a problem with starting situations. I should have put that in my earlier post.

March 26th, 2013, 10:27 pm #9

mine (70 Torino blackjack headers) used to almost rub they were that close, always had problems after the car had run a while.
-blizz

351C.net, not just any old internet car forum,

March 26th, 2013, 11:32 pm #10

I hear about this all the time. Guys will buy super starters, bigger cables , bigger batteries and on and on. My brother inlaw even installed a ignition cut out switch on his bb ford! He was at races with me and asked if I ever had trouble and I said no and told him what I did! I did the same to his dist. And he hasn't looked back. I'm assuming you likely have around 10.5 comp and there is no way that thing is gonna turn over very easy at 12 degrees hot! You can spend 200 bucks for hitorque starter or change everything else and it will help or spend about 10 bucks for the msd spring kit for dist. Which will work for stock dist. And set the dist the way I mentioned and run the stock starter for the next 10 years! Pm me and I will be glad to help. Steve.