The V4 Lives!

The V4 Lives!

October 20th, 2006, 2:04 am #1

I put in the new tubes and fired it up. I got the bias set and it's putting out right about 95 watts at clipping.

Bad news: It seems the reverb pan is shot.

The wattage controls will be trickier that I expected. I will try rigging up a triode switch to cut power, and a separate half power switch to cut off two tubes (you will have to switch the polarity manually). Together they would do the same as the half volume switch in the Hiwatt DC40.

The power transformer does not have multiple primary windings. Those cheap bastards didn't do anything extra there. If you want to run this in a country with 220 or 240 voltage, you are gonna need a big ass step up transformer.

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
The history of liberty is a history of the limitation of governmental power, not the increase of it.
-- Woodrow Wilson

October 21st, 2006, 3:26 am #2

Thats great...right now thats the best news I've had all day. I'm sick in bed with the flu...and I too have transpo problems, and they arent too cheap either.

Reverb tank? no sweat I guess...as far as voltage concerns go we can discuss that anytime after I feel better.

Right now I'm back to bed...

Thanks Tom...Your a genius:)

sixty4fairlane
sixty4fairlane

October 23rd, 2006, 4:33 pm #3

I put in the new tubes and fired it up. I got the bias set and it's putting out right about 95 watts at clipping.

The wattage controls will be trickier that I expected. I will try rigging up a triode switch to cut power, and a separate half power switch to cut off two tubes (you will have to switch the polarity manually). Together they would do the same as the half volume switch in the Hiwatt DC40.

The power transformer does not have multiple primary windings. Those cheap bastards didn't do anything extra there. If you want to run this in a country with 220 or 240 voltage, you are gonna need a big ass step up transformer.

The history of liberty is a history of the limitation of governmental power, not the increase of it.
-- Woodrow Wilson
the house will be rocking.

October 27th, 2006, 2:30 am #4

-- Woodrow Wilson
Like a Switchcraft. I've had it for years, never used it. This I will use for the triode/pentode (or beam tetrode) switch. This is a power reduction that does not require changing the output impedance. The half power switch (that turns off two tubes) is installed. I should have it together this weekend, as I have made it top priority.

Think you can schedule a run up here before you ship out?

-- Woodrow Wilson

October 27th, 2006, 3:55 pm #5

Sure I can run out there, just sorta gimme a time thats good for ya and I'll make the time, as many trips as ya need, as long as it's not next week...that pesky Honda is still in the shop waiting for transmission parts. I was gonna ask ya to look a the Oahu anyway...but I dint have the guts to ask till now. I can't read all the markings on the caps, and a schematic for that thing is no where to be found. Bidding on some RCA 6V6GTY's at the moment...I'll see what it's like with some good tubes first and lemme know if ya need anything for V4.

October 27th, 2006, 7:21 pm #6

Like Sunday, Nov. 12? Once the triode switch is in, I can let the thing run a while, get the guitar player next door to romp on it and listen for oddities.

Bring the Oahu with.

-- Woodrow Wilson

October 28th, 2006, 11:59 pm #7

-- Woodrow Wilson
The V4 does NOT like triode mode. Not at all. It oscillates like crazy. I also found that it does not like shielded cable for the grid wires. Very odd, that. Seems lead dress is critical in these. It does not mind the half power switch but at half power it's not much quieter. 100 watts full power, 65 watts half power (both at clipping). It do my P90s, though.

So, it's all back together and awaiting pickup.

-- Woodrow Wilson

buddymac
buddymac

October 29th, 2006, 6:22 pm #8

Alas the V4 is armed and ready for launch...pity my poor neighbors, the collateral damage will be sickening to behold.

So you still want the 12th for pick up...or are you flexible on that? I still haven't gotten the RCA 6v6's for the Oahu yet...should have them by the 12th..but I can pick up some chinese tubes if ya wanna see it light up. I'm thinking you wanna might wanna park your car where that V4 is sittting...lemme know...shoot me an email or something. The Honda has just had the transmission rebuilt so transpo problem is solved bla bla bla.

We can talk about joe behind his back;)

joe
joe

October 29th, 2006, 11:26 pm #9

get 4 jbl e120's cause they're super sensitive , it would produce a very profound attack I would imagine . what are ya gonna play thru it first ? smoke on the water is traditional ya know.

October 30th, 2006, 3:28 am #10

Not sure what speaks someone would want to use. Vintage Fanes would be cool. First thing is to decide if you want to live with the V4. It's as versatile as an Orange or Hiwatt.

-- Woodrow Wilson