Starting 400 build tomorrow

Starting 400 build tomorrow

December 23rd, 2011, 12:51 am #1

Hey guys
Im starting my 400 build tomorrow and since i'm used to building FEs, and this is my first 400, any tips or tricks you can pass on for the build up? Anything that is common or special to watch out for on these engines?

Thanks
Howard

December 23rd, 2011, 4:06 am #2

Truck, performance car, highway barge? Off-road, racing, street, towing?

-G

Pantera Photos | 351C Historic Information | 351C Technical Information

If you use a 351C 4V powered vehicle for a grocery getter ... the eggs aren't going to make it home!

December 23rd, 2011, 4:15 am #3

a '79 f150 4x4. I have all the parts ready to go, just looking for anything i need to pay attention to during assembly that is special to 335 engines.

December 23rd, 2011, 7:40 am #4

does the 400 use a spike in the rear main cap to hold the original rope style rear main seal? if so, and you're using a modern neoprene seal, make sure you remove the spike by tapping it out with a 1/16" pin punch or similar

what distributor are you going to use?

what type of cam?

is the dizzy gear compatible with the cam core material?

do yourself a favor and set the dizzy into the block before anything else, snug it down with the hold down/bolt and check for freeplay under the dizzy gear and make sure there is no binding anywhere

are you using an aftermarket oil pump driveshaft?

if so, with the dizzy still snugged in, install the oil pump with the drive shaft and make sure that the drive shaft is not bound up between the dizzy and oil pump. it needs to be free to wiggle slightly up & down. double check that your oil pump drive shaft retainer clip is positioned to retain the OPDS when the dizzy gets removed

don't forget to install the oil galley plugs behind the cam sprocket

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

December 23rd, 2011, 1:58 pm #5

This block was originally a 351M, I am swapping cranks and installing 400 pistons. All pretty much stock parts, cam will be a Comp, dist is stock duraspark, oil pump drive is stock.

December 23rd, 2011, 5:39 pm #6

Hey guys
Im starting my 400 build tomorrow and since i'm used to building FEs, and this is my first 400, any tips or tricks you can pass on for the build up? Anything that is common or special to watch out for on these engines?

Thanks
Howard
Fe cam plug goes in backwards. Long oil plugs go in the rear, short ones up front.

December 23rd, 2011, 7:27 pm #7

This block was originally a 351M, I am swapping cranks and installing 400 pistons. All pretty much stock parts, cam will be a Comp, dist is stock duraspark, oil pump drive is stock.
i'd still mock it up, and for sure check it all out before installing the front cover

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

December 23rd, 2011, 7:44 pm #8

The pin height is too small creating too much deck clearance, and on top of that they have a large dish on them too.

The single biggest improvement you can make to that motor is to install a custom set of pistons.

Custom ordered pistons should have these features:

(1) forged aluminum
(2) 351C style flat top
(3) 400 size wrist pin
(4) for use with pressed wrist pins
(5) 1.685" wrist pin height
(6) standard ring package

This will reduce the deck clearance to nominal 0.030", with a typical 0.040" head gasket the motors total clearance shall be 0.070", which is very Cleveland-like. Compression will be about 9.7:1, assuming the heads have 78cc combustion chambers. The motor will have the good thermal efficiency and detonation resistant properties of the Cleveland cylinder head.

-G

If you use a 351C 4V powered vehicle for a grocery getter ... the eggs aren't going to make it home!

December 23rd, 2011, 10:37 pm #9

Hey guys

Thanks
Howard
I already have all the parts, just begining the assembly.

December 27th, 2011, 1:58 am #10

The pin height is too small creating too much deck clearance, and on top of that they have a large dish on them too.

The single biggest improvement you can make to that motor is to install a custom set of pistons.

Custom ordered pistons should have these features:

(1) forged aluminum
(2) 351C style flat top
(3) 400 size wrist pin
(4) for use with pressed wrist pins
(5) 1.685" wrist pin height
(6) standard ring package

This will reduce the deck clearance to nominal 0.030", with a typical 0.040" head gasket the motors total clearance shall be 0.070", which is very Cleveland-like. Compression will be about 9.7:1, assuming the heads have 78cc combustion chambers. The motor will have the good thermal efficiency and detonation resistant properties of the Cleveland cylinder head.

-G

Tim Meyer sells several different slugs for the 400. All are made to correct the problems you mention. You can get them for open chamber 2V heads or closed chamber 2V heads.