solid roller 357ci

solid roller 357ci

September 20th, 2011, 2:37 pm #1

So as not to hijack Jim's thread on rollers, and with concerns on what Brent has said regarding rebuilding rollers. I've found myself with a slight dilemma.
First off, car is a 66 Fastback, when my dad road raced this car it was 2730lbs. with him in it and a Boss 302 but sense it has been returned to street duty with some open track use. As time allows ( 2 race cars to maintain ), I'm building a 357ci C 4v c/c with ex side port work, Holley strip dominator 750 d/p, 4 sp/cr and 4:11 true track 9". I hope to get this cars wt. at around 2900lbs with me in it.
I originally was going to go with a 393 inch arm but have changed my mind and would rather put the money into rods and the top end. Will keep the 28oz bal so I can use the aluminum fly I have. I do have a neutral alum wheel thats new but don't think I want to run it here. Looking at turning 7500 max. and like the numbers of the Lunati 511a2 and 511a3 cams preferring the later. Willing to push the c/r close to 11:1 but here in Cal we live with 91 fuel.
Question, am I dreaming with this combo for street use. Car will see the track only in months where I have no races, and about 7500 miles of street use per yr.

September 20th, 2011, 4:11 pm #2

To me, a street engine is not one that pulls to 7500 revs...but everyone has their own taste and opinion.

In my opinion, if someone is to go to the trouble of pulling 7500 rpms (as you say, going to nicer rods, using a rocker stud girdle, etc.), then I would want to get the most bang for my buck.

What would I do? Fairly rowdy solid roller billet core cam, spring pressures to keep everything where it needs to be, and a really good set of solid roller lifters. I like the Crower HIPPO or the Isky lifters for serious applications. Having lifters rebuilt once a year isn't a travesty by any means.

Your only other choice to make power at that rpm is a solid flat tappet. Once you get past the break-in (more of a pain with high rev engines since you really need to swap valve springs for the break-in), it's pretty easy going. Also, if you use a nitrided cam core and a set of Schubecks, you don't even really have to worry about the break-in...although the initial investment is kinda steep.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

September 23rd, 2011, 1:38 pm #3

Thanks Brent. Although I like the solid flats I haven't had good luck with durability. I did a search for the Schubucks and found a dead end. Just trying to make the best use of the head is the reason for the 7500rpm.

September 23rd, 2011, 2:04 pm #4

So as not to hijack Jim's thread on rollers, and with concerns on what Brent has said regarding rebuilding rollers. I've found myself with a slight dilemma.
First off, car is a 66 Fastback, when my dad road raced this car it was 2730lbs. with him in it and a Boss 302 but sense it has been returned to street duty with some open track use. As time allows ( 2 race cars to maintain ), I'm building a 357ci C 4v c/c with ex side port work, Holley strip dominator 750 d/p, 4 sp/cr and 4:11 true track 9". I hope to get this cars wt. at around 2900lbs with me in it.
I originally was going to go with a 393 inch arm but have changed my mind and would rather put the money into rods and the top end. Will keep the 28oz bal so I can use the aluminum fly I have. I do have a neutral alum wheel thats new but don't think I want to run it here. Looking at turning 7500 max. and like the numbers of the Lunati 511a2 and 511a3 cams preferring the later. Willing to push the c/r close to 11:1 but here in Cal we live with 91 fuel.
Question, am I dreaming with this combo for street use. Car will see the track only in months where I have no races, and about 7500 miles of street use per yr.
7500 miles a year is quite a bit for a mostly strip car.

I have considered cranking up the hp in my street stock stroke 4V cleveland (currently 330rwhp) and here the thing I think about the most.

Oil control. My oil system is stock, with the exception of a HV pump. I am glad my combo gives up around 6200rpms with a hydro flat tappet. I wouldn't want to spin any higher without, at the least, a good oil pan. I can notice a difference in high rpm performance after a few blasts to 6000rpm. Meaning it lays down a few hundred earlier than the first flogging. I am assuming the oil is foaming and causing the lifters to collapse. Obviously not a good thing at 7500rpms.

Good luck,
James P.

September 23rd, 2011, 3:46 pm #5

Thanks Brent. Although I like the solid flats I haven't had good luck with durability. I did a search for the Schubucks and found a dead end. Just trying to make the best use of the head is the reason for the 7500rpm.

available. Still expensive, too.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Composite%20lifters.htm

A Visigoth explains the sack of Rome: We wanted art, literature...culture! We're sorry we broke some stuff.

September 26th, 2011, 12:50 pm #6

7500 miles a year is quite a bit for a mostly strip car.

I have considered cranking up the hp in my street stock stroke 4V cleveland (currently 330rwhp) and here the thing I think about the most.

Oil control. My oil system is stock, with the exception of a HV pump. I am glad my combo gives up around 6200rpms with a hydro flat tappet. I wouldn't want to spin any higher without, at the least, a good oil pan. I can notice a difference in high rpm performance after a few blasts to 6000rpm. Meaning it lays down a few hundred earlier than the first flogging. I am assuming the oil is foaming and causing the lifters to collapse. Obviously not a good thing at 7500rpms.

Good luck,
James P.
James K,
Thanks for the link. Interesting, anyone know of someone using these SM composite lifters and if they live up as advertised.
I had planed on running Tim Meyer cam bearings and bushing the lifter bores. I wonder if the bushings are still necessary.
Thanks for the imput guy's

[/IMG]

September 26th, 2011, 1:27 pm #7

I know lots of racers that use them and I'm getting ready to stick a set in my own stroked FE. They certainly live up to the advertisements. No break-in, swap lifters on different cams, etc. Expensive, but good parts.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

September 26th, 2011, 1:40 pm #8

Brent, I appreciate your imput. When the new race car is finished this winter I'm going to start to get this car back together. I'll give you a call when it's time for some parts.

September 26th, 2011, 1:55 pm #9

You don't necessarily have to hit 7500 all the time to make the heads work. I'll say it's more in the total tune up. A decent alternative for good power with no loss in flow is a Funnelweb and port tongues. Or put more arm in it. I think the cam will make it do what you want, if chosen wisely.

Not sure why you'd have issues with solid flat durability - check into the Isky EDM solid lifters. My last engine used those and I broke it in with full spring pressure. The cam and lifters have outlasted the engine and are waiting on the next call of duty.

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.