roller lifter oiling?

roller lifter oiling?

June 4th, 2011, 9:48 pm #1

Hey getting engine together and was priming the oil system with a drill.Let it run for sometime and was not getting much oil to the top.Two rockers on one side and one on the other.I have the lifter bores bushed and quite a small hole?Just wondering if drill is not fast enough to get it up top?Never seen this with solid flat tappets,anyone have Idea?

June 4th, 2011, 9:55 pm #2

either way, are you turning the crank in increments?

turn 45* and prime for a bit, turn 45* & prime...

i had a hydro lifter once that wouldn't oil the rocker for over 1/2 hour but i got it

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

June 5th, 2011, 12:30 am #3

Thanks Tinman I did what you said and they all dribbling now.Those holes in lifter bushings must really slow the flow down.On standard solid lifters with no bushings the oil would be running on floor?

June 5th, 2011, 4:26 pm #4

yeah a stock block fills the valley with oil in no time flat, a good arguement for running an extra quart once you've seen what happens when you prime with the intake off

4 qts in the pan is not a lot of oil. here's 4 in a CJ pan,

5 in a CJ pan,

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

June 5th, 2011, 6:04 pm #5

on your lifters.
Most solid roller lifter that I have dealt with, are restricted so that they don't pump much oil to the top.

Not sure about the hyd lifters. I have not seen an oiling issue with the OE 5.0 lifter or the Lunati ones.

Last edited by TMeyerInc on June 5th, 2011, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 5th, 2011, 10:14 pm #6

Thanks Tim
I ran the drill on the pump for quite awhile but finally got oil coming to top on all.I put a guage on to see what press. was and it was about 65psi.Those bushings must restrict alot or are you saying the lifter does it?Is there any need for bushings when running these lifters?They are Isky solid roller lifters?Maybe I be short oil up top?

June 6th, 2011, 3:26 am #7

I use Moroso restrictors and the fromt to rear manifold on my solid lifter Clevelands with out bushing the lifters. I have never lost a crank from lack of oil yet. I had two that run 11.00 - 123 mph at 7500rpm and one that run
10.30.- 131 mph. at 8100rpm. The only time I had problems was when I used
Windsor Roller lifters.

June 7th, 2011, 12:52 pm #8

Yes all is good!I was alittle paranoid after seeing it take so long for oil to get to top?Talked to Tim M and he said this is normal with the solid roller.I've only ever ran solid mechanical without bushings and they move a ton of oil.

June 8th, 2011, 1:24 am #9

There are numerous types of lifters both solid and solid roller out there that one wants to research before installing as the oil holes are sometimes different from one to the other. The older rollers had the smaller oil holes, the newer ones have gargantuan holes in them that will flow enough oil to float a battleship!!I found this out the hard way by losing the bottom end to filling up the top end with oil. With bushings installed, it controls the oil flow to the top regardless of which lifter you use; even the Windsor lifters will work. With bushings a .040 to .060 hole will provide sufficient flow of oil to the top to keep it alive and well.