Recommended piston rings?

Recommended piston rings?

December 11th, 2011, 4:07 am #1

I posted awhile back about a 351C that I had gotten that only had about 2000 miles on a rebuild. The cylinders have a good home pattern and no ridge, it appears that the rings never seated. It has .030" TRW-2348 pop up pistons.
I plan to lightly re-hone and re-ring. What are the best rings for these pistons that would provide a good break in and seating for street/strip use?

Thanks,
James

December 11th, 2011, 4:39 am #2

You can get a set of decent moly rings off ebay for around $40 but I would highly suggest you get the block honed at a machine shop that has a honing machine. Cylinder prep is a Huge part of how an engine performs. You should really target what you want from the engine. Street/strip when I see that, means to me you want a good street engine and once in a while you might take it to the strip. NO power adders (nitrous/blower/turbo)

December 11th, 2011, 8:42 pm #3

I posted awhile back about a 351C that I had gotten that only had about 2000 miles on a rebuild. The cylinders have a good home pattern and no ridge, it appears that the rings never seated. It has .030" TRW-2348 pop up pistons.
I plan to lightly re-hone and re-ring. What are the best rings for these pistons that would provide a good break in and seating for street/strip use?

Thanks,
James
I don't think I would necessarily judge the cylinder's condition by just looking at the hone pattern. Different honing stones are used for different ring materials. Unless you have a bore mic, it will also be hard to tell if the cylinders have any wear/taper to them. All of this has a bearing on ring seal.

I would use a good quality ductile iron ring with a plasma moly facing. You should be able to get a good set from Mahle or Total Seal for under $100.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

December 12th, 2011, 3:40 pm #4

A good name brand set of moly faced rings with the proper cylinder wall finish should seat within minutes. Be sure and clean the cylinder bores thoroughly before assembly. Should cost you between $100 and $150 for a good ring set.

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

December 12th, 2011, 6:42 pm #5

Thanks, Carl, Brent and Falcon67.

I miked the bores and they have no taper. The previous hone job has a 30 degree crosshatch with about 16RA finish, but they used chrome rings which explains why they had problems seating the rings.

I'll get a set of moly rings.

Thanks,
James

December 13th, 2011, 10:21 am #6

I've got a cleveland here that has around 4000kms that had two lobes go flat and subsequently led to engine failure after the pushrod failed and popped a lifter yeilding zero oil pressure. Pulled the engine apart and noticed that the motor looked like it was never run in properly and the rings never seated properly as evidenced by carbon deposits between the first and second rings.

December 13th, 2011, 1:31 pm #7

I would avoid any kind of synthetic oil for awhile....or forever. I never run it in customer engines.

Another thing that guys like to do when installing pistons is to dunk the piston in oil so that it's dripping wet. That can cause break-in issues as well.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

December 15th, 2011, 7:17 pm #8

Brent,
I had a BowTie friend that always dipped the piston in oil. I prefer to just swab the cylinders with oil.

One thing I was looking for was recommendation on what brand piston rings folks have used successfully in Clevelands.

Thanks,
James

December 16th, 2011, 2:07 am #9

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

December 16th, 2011, 2:58 am #10

I would avoid any kind of synthetic oil for awhile....or forever. I never run it in customer engines.

Another thing that guys like to do when installing pistons is to dunk the piston in oil so that it's dripping wet. That can cause break-in issues as well.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

One respected engine builder I talked to recomended to coat the cylinder walls and pistons lightly with atf if it is going to be run and not stored. I have done this one a few engines with no problems. A long time ago I used to spray the pistons with WD40 and then also wipe the cylinder walls with WD40.

What do the professionals do now just for curiosity?

Brian