Rear Main Leak

April 8th, 2013, 8:29 pm #1

I have a fresh build that has been broken in and driven for about 300 miles. I have now noticed that the rear main is leaking. Is there any chance that this can be fixed correctly without the engine being pulled. I think I already know the answer but just wanted to check with you guys to get your input.

Denny

April 8th, 2013, 9:15 pm #2

Is it the main or rear pan seal?The rear pan seal has a habit of squeezing out if not really carefull?You can do both in car but may have to remove motor mounts to lift engine enough to clear the front cross brace?

April 8th, 2013, 9:45 pm #3

This is in a 69 Mustang. I can remove the cross member and drop the oil pan with no problem.

April 8th, 2013, 9:50 pm #4

The oil pan seal did not push out. I did have a small amount of oil in the valley at the bottom I wiped that out but noticed a small amount in the gap between the main cap and the crank.

April 9th, 2013, 1:31 am #5

How did you install seal? I like to offset the ends of the seal into the caps abit. I know alot of guys do not like to do it this way and butt the ends together. This is fine also as long as you dab a little silicone or I like the Right Stuff. It's a tough call but if its bad enough you may have to drop rear cap and replace seal and/or offset it to get it stopped it is a bit of a pain but can be done.
Last edited by steve.k on April 9th, 2013, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 9th, 2013, 1:42 am #6

I have a fresh build that has been broken in and driven for about 300 miles. I have now noticed that the rear main is leaking. Is there any chance that this can be fixed correctly without the engine being pulled. I think I already know the answer but just wanted to check with you guys to get your input.

Denny
Yes it can, I would check my bearings every year and while at it would change the rear main seal. Those seals are pretty tough use plenty of oil. After installing removing the excess oil can be a bit of a pain, than some silicone. I also used the black seal and had great luck with them on that motor.

April 9th, 2013, 6:58 am #7

How did you install seal? I like to offset the ends of the seal into the caps abit. I know alot of guys do not like to do it this way and butt the ends together. This is fine also as long as you dab a little silicone or I like the Right Stuff. It's a tough call but if its bad enough you may have to drop rear cap and replace seal and/or offset it to get it stopped it is a bit of a pain but can be done.
The seal was installed offset and a touch of sealer on the ends.

April 9th, 2013, 12:45 pm #8

Well sounds like you did everything possible to keep it from leaking. I think I have one car here that weeps a small amount also. I have kept running it as it only leaves a couple spots on ground. It is annoying though ! Good luck Denny!

April 9th, 2013, 11:06 pm #9

Denny
Are you sure that it's facing the right direction?