Ranchero headers

April 8th, 2013, 7:14 pm #1

I have been searching the archives and have not came up with anything recent. My son's 1970 Ranchero GT "M code" is just about ready to pull out of the garage. However I would like to put a set of headers on it first. For now it has a FMX but we plan on a AOD. It also has air conditioning, power steering and brakes. Maybe later we will do more to the motor but for now she is stock except for a new balancer, better water pump and starter. Does anybody have recommendations for some affordable headers that will fit.

I am looking at EB** for now (the OBX ss are affordable, but I am not good at welding stainless if that is needed). But if someone here has something that will work, or recommendations, let me know. I am going to get FPA headers for my build but they are out of his $ range.

April 9th, 2013, 11:20 am #2

I currently run dydaflow headers in my 70 Ranchero. 351c 2v w/AOD. Fit ok, have to run a p/s drop dwn bracket. Quality not that good. Will consider Doug Thortly headers when time to replace, no drop dwn required.

April 9th, 2013, 1:00 pm #3

I ran a set of Blackjack headers on my 70 Torino, at the time they were a whopping 80 dollars a set, I don't even know if they still make them, but they fit ok and didn't leak..

Good luck, have your son join us and share pictures of his / your project!
~blizz

351C.net, not just any old internet car forum,

April 9th, 2013, 4:48 pm #4

I have been searching the archives and have not came up with anything recent. My son's 1970 Ranchero GT "M code" is just about ready to pull out of the garage. However I would like to put a set of headers on it first. For now it has a FMX but we plan on a AOD. It also has air conditioning, power steering and brakes. Maybe later we will do more to the motor but for now she is stock except for a new balancer, better water pump and starter. Does anybody have recommendations for some affordable headers that will fit.

I am looking at EB** for now (the OBX ss are affordable, but I am not good at welding stainless if that is needed). But if someone here has something that will work, or recommendations, let me know. I am going to get FPA headers for my build but they are out of his $ range.
Hooker Competition header part #6920 fits my 70 ranchero GT M code. I have a 4-speed, but the technical notes say they fit an auto as long as it is floor shifted.

You will need a drop bracket for the power steering ram. The only part I'm not sure about is the AC mounting points.

Good luck,
James P.

April 9th, 2013, 6:59 pm #5

I forgot to mention it has a column shift. Is it worth it to put on the Sanderson "shorty" headers? They are not really that much cheaper (but they are pretty). I like the coated headers but want to be sure of the fitment before putting them on. I really hate to bang up coated headers. I have a 71 Ranchero Squire H code (2v heads with a Performer 4V manifold) with Hedman 1 5/8 headers. It also has full power and a column shift. The headers have plenty of clearance all around. I don't think we should go with less that 1.75 primaries since he will eventually want to upgrade his intake and maybe add a Cobra Jet cam. This is a street ride that will not go to the track so the main concern is clearance. Both for the transmission and the ground.
The Sanderson's should be a improvement over the stock manifolds.

April 10th, 2013, 12:03 am #6

Sanderson shorties, an X-pipe, and a pair of low restriction mufflers.

Keep the tail pipes short if possible, and dump the exhaust out the sides, ahead of the rear tires.

That would make an excellent exhaust.

I'd like to double what Blizz mentioned, and invite your son to join us.

-G

Pantera Photos | Pantera Motors | Six Photo Albums of 351C Info | One | Two | Three | Four | Five | Six

April 10th, 2013, 2:57 am #7

<span></span>
I used the Hooker Comp's on my 70 Ranchero with a 351C 4V/FMX combo. But I have no idea if the Hooker's will also work with AC & power steering since the AC/power steering was long gone by the time it got that engine/trans combo.