Race fuel

Race fuel

August 1st, 2012, 3:28 am #1

Hey guys so as you all know I have a 410 Cleveland stroker in my 72 ranchero and ever since I had it built I had to run race fuel. What I normally run is Sunoco 110 the purple stuff and the car runs excellent on it but it is very expensive at 8.99 a gallon. Also there is another station in my area which is not a Sunoco station and they sell the blue 112 stuff. I noticed that when I switch to the 112 stuff the motor runs a bit rougher at idle but when you get into it it runs like a scalded dog. It also runs like a scalded dog on the 110 but you could diffently notice the difference with the two extra octane points. To get the motor to idle correctly I have to adjust the idle mixture and the throttle stop, is it normal that the idle will change with the two extra octane points? I also wonder how old the gas is in their tanks with the 112 because sometimes when I am just crusin at 2500rpm's I get a little break up studdering but when I get into it it is all there with no breakup or studdering. One last thing, when I rev the motor in park I get a little bit of white/ grey smoke out the tail pipes a few seconds after reving it. The motor also never burns any oil as the dip stick is always on the full line and the plugs are perfect with no oil fouling spots. Is it normal to get some smoke with leaded race gas I have also been told that it could be the motor kind of loading up at idle. I am also burning no coolant as that also never gets low. It is also a older 850 Holley with duel accelerator pumps and mechanical secondary's. Let me all know what you think.

August 1st, 2012, 3:32 pm #2

I'd switch to E85 - $3.10/gallon, same octane, and no detonation issues.    And your car will run even better.

August 1st, 2012, 4:16 pm #3

Hey guys so as you all know I have a 410 Cleveland stroker in my 72 ranchero and ever since I had it built I had to run race fuel. What I normally run is Sunoco 110 the purple stuff and the car runs excellent on it but it is very expensive at 8.99 a gallon. Also there is another station in my area which is not a Sunoco station and they sell the blue 112 stuff. I noticed that when I switch to the 112 stuff the motor runs a bit rougher at idle but when you get into it it runs like a scalded dog. It also runs like a scalded dog on the 110 but you could diffently notice the difference with the two extra octane points. To get the motor to idle correctly I have to adjust the idle mixture and the throttle stop, is it normal that the idle will change with the two extra octane points? I also wonder how old the gas is in their tanks with the 112 because sometimes when I am just crusin at 2500rpm's I get a little break up studdering but when I get into it it is all there with no breakup or studdering. One last thing, when I rev the motor in park I get a little bit of white/ grey smoke out the tail pipes a few seconds after reving it. The motor also never burns any oil as the dip stick is always on the full line and the plugs are perfect with no oil fouling spots. Is it normal to get some smoke with leaded race gas I have also been told that it could be the motor kind of loading up at idle. I am also burning no coolant as that also never gets low. It is also a older 850 Holley with duel accelerator pumps and mechanical secondary's. Let me all know what you think.
The higher the octane, the slower the burn rate, typically. White smoke is water, so it may be old/contaminated fuel in their tanks. I've never seen any race cars spit anything running leaded race fuel. It should color the plugs some and the inside of the exhaust pipes should be a light gray when running leaded fuel. The toluene in super unleaded creates soot and will turn the inside of exhaust pipes black.

FWIW - E-85 isn't available everywhere. Closest from here is 200 miles, if they even still sell it. A few people around here tried it, liked it, tossed it because it's just too damn hard to get or keep around. Might as well buy VP M1 and mix your own. The drought killing the corn crop and the reduction in subsidies may make that stuff dry up like spit on a Texas sidewalk, and drive the price up too. If I had to run 110 or 112, I'd buy VP in 54 gallon drums to reduce my costs.

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

August 1st, 2012, 7:53 pm #4

I have thought about switching to e-85 but the guy who built the motor does not like it so I think I am sticking with the race gas. Also next summer I will pick up a 55 gallon drum. The plugs in the motor are that perfect brown tan color so it is running very well. I also get the grey on my tips from the race fuel.

August 2nd, 2012, 2:19 am #5

Try a methanol injection kit
It uses windshield washer fluid
http://www.snowperformance.net/
http://www.snowperformance.net/stage-2- ... r-n-a.html
Last edited by mtdewcowboy on August 2nd, 2012, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 2nd, 2012, 4:43 am #6

I have thought about doing this in the past, but got talked out of it by the builder. Might end up just doing it over the winter. The only disadvantage to this is if you run out of the meth mix you are kind of sol, and you have to limp home. Maybe I will do it over the winter when the car is put away for the season.

August 2nd, 2012, 9:40 am #7

you can get it anywhere

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/ ... _info.html

i used a Ford brake booster fitting & grommet tapped into the bottom of the cars stock washer fluid res, not sure atm if i gutted it or left the check valve in

here's a shot of the activation switch adjustment, mine's a boost switch using regulated air pressure to simulate switch function where a carb'd application will use a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor type switch and vacuum to function the switch for adjustment. 9V battery & bulb are to verify switch open/closed

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing
Last edited by tinman351 on August 2nd, 2012, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 3rd, 2012, 3:24 am #8

That is a pretty cool home brew system, if you lived near by I would have asked you if you could have helped me build a system. I will have to check out the website, and maybe i will make up my own system. Also since the inner fenders on the ranchero are so big, I could probably hide everything out of site, so you would never know it was there. Thanks for the help guys, as it would be nice to get off the race fuel eventually so I could go anywhere with the car, as I am kind of limited to around town, and just to work when I take the car out for a cruse.

August 3rd, 2012, 5:22 am #9

Avgas is another possible option.

August 3rd, 2012, 1:58 pm #10

Don't get caught using fuel that hasn't been road taxed. Big trouble. A regular occurrence out here with diesel trucks.

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.