Plexiheads, tube snobs, hows about this !

Plexiheads, tube snobs, hows about this !

sixty4fairlane
sixty4fairlane

November 29th, 2005, 11:50 pm #1

So Peavey and epiphone have come out with reasonable priced all tube amps MADE IN CHINA. Not to mention Vox has a kinda reissue of the ac30 made in china. Without bringing up the loss of american jobs, where do diehard tube snobs stand on this issue.

I mean if it sounds good, is it any worse then buying a marshall amp made in england. Legendary true, but still not made in america. Vox would be in there with Hiwatt and Laney. Of course I'm refering to 60's and 70's models now.

Kinda like where Fender's are made now, some swear up and down the only quality is made in cali, but blindfolded I bet you couldn't tell a good japanese or mexican from an american.

November 30th, 2005, 6:24 pm #2

I wont buy any thing like that made in China. It's not the quality I'm concerned with ..it's the political opression and economic exploitation of Chinese people. Just to rant a bit...a friend of mine is a writer in asia was corresponding with professor in China. The Chinese govt. accessed his email account and he was called in to explain the letters that were critical of American policy, not the Chinese govt's policy. He was still censured and docked 2 weeks pay for this. He got off light. Kinda funny as they are not really that fond of the US anyway.

I think I could go on for weeks with incident after incident...Most of the journalist I know in asia are afraid to critisize China. It can be very un healthy.

The Chinese are capable of making great amps I'm sure. I have 2 Mexican Strats a Japanese Fernandes and a Marshall made in Korea. I dont have a problem with them, they are all good players. So yeah I think there is alot of snobery against foreign guitars and amps. And some are inferior, but thats true of both foreign and domestic instruments.

But for reasons other than quality, I will not touch the Chinese products if I can help it.

Question: Are we becomming more like them faster than they are becomming more like us?

December 1st, 2005, 12:13 am #3

What makes for a good amplifier ? A man with a good ear for sound that knows how to translate that with obsolescent technology (tubes)

Do the chinese "get it" ? I doubt it . A large # of guitarists have more or less acquiessed in the general assumption that the marshall on eddies first album was the best for rock or not far from it ! and yet nobody yet has got it down , unless mojave's peacemaker has done it , it's at least a close approach.and that album came out in 78 ! you can JUST NOW buy one that sounds close !

The chinese just don't care about quality ! I've never seen any evidence to the contrary...name one thing. and the dude who makes your amp may have been in tianenmen square with a copy of rousseau in his hand , now a forced laborer.

I see no reason to buy chinese , I'll buy a plexi and send it to Tom !

There are plenty of good reasons to avoid chinese including those mentioned by buddy , if you want more email tom ...

sixty4fairlane
sixty4fairlane

December 1st, 2005, 4:44 am #4

What if the amp sounded good and you bought it second hand, from your neighbor down the road ?

You wouldn't be contributing to the coffers of a company using what we consider slave (cheap) labor.

What I'm thinking is in 10 years or less, there won't be too much of anything actually made by americans anymore.

To go any further would get into subjects we shouldnt breech on this forum. So if the best sounding amp in the music world is made in a foriegn (cheap labor) country with a know name on it (fender, marshall, or whatever) would anyone else buy it, or just stick with the old tried and trued ?

sixty4fairlane
sixty4fairlane

December 1st, 2005, 5:03 am #5

What makes for a good amplifier ? A man with a good ear for sound that knows how to translate that with obsolescent technology (tubes)

Do the chinese "get it" ? I doubt it . A large # of guitarists have more or less acquiessed in the general assumption that the marshall on eddies first album was the best for rock or not far from it ! and yet nobody yet has got it down , unless mojave's peacemaker has done it , it's at least a close approach.and that album came out in 78 ! you can JUST NOW buy one that sounds close !

The chinese just don't care about quality ! I've never seen any evidence to the contrary...name one thing. and the dude who makes your amp may have been in tianenmen square with a copy of rousseau in his hand , now a forced laborer.

I see no reason to buy chinese , I'll buy a plexi and send it to Tom !

There are plenty of good reasons to avoid chinese including those mentioned by buddy , if you want more email tom ...
Everyone knows the holy grail of amp tone is a tweed Fender !!

December 1st, 2005, 8:47 am #6

I also have a hunch that Eddie would figure out a killer sound playing just about anything...same with Hendrix...Clapton...Page...SRV...Beck...Dale...bla bla bla...it has something to do with the fingers and imagination;) I don't think every one who played a mythical Brand XXX had great sound...know what I mean.

sixty4fairlane
sixty4fairlane

December 2nd, 2005, 4:00 am #7

So a 5000 dollar amp won't make me play like hendrix or clapton ??

Damn I have no excuse for my mediocure playing now.

Maybe I need to practice some more

December 2nd, 2005, 4:30 am #8

no matter what amp I'm playing through. Even the one I got that promised vintage air guitar tone. I'm the anti-tone king.

Rick Shaw
Rick Shaw

December 2nd, 2005, 7:32 am #9

If your playing sucks, you can still BS 'em with your equipment. If you're good you're not going to settle for the cheap stuff anyway.

Using garbage will hinder your progress. And how creative can you feel using prison labor?

Being a snob does have its rewards.

December 2nd, 2005, 8:29 pm #10

I also have a hunch that Eddie would figure out a killer sound playing just about anything...same with Hendrix...Clapton...Page...SRV...Beck...Dale...bla bla bla...it has something to do with the fingers and imagination;) I don't think every one who played a mythical Brand XXX had great sound...know what I mean.
or fender or whatever. they used what they had at hand , and constantly outsourced for different parts that were close enough but a little cheaper.

If this is about quality fender and marshall weren't made to rigorous standards by any stretch of the imagination ! hiwatt came much closer , they put transformers in that were better suited , electrically , for the job . It tightened up the sound and gave it more bottom end , they don't break up like a marshall though .

What I'm telling you is it's not the quality that I admire about marshalls , not in the usual sense of the term . It's the SOUND quality I preffer . but a marshall came be made of most anything I have an old bogen challenger that could be made into one if I hacked holes in it to clear the transformers . Tom would do the rest .

you're right I won't buy from china for political reasons , but also I really have never seen anything come out of china that did ANYTHING the way it should !