Old BOSS 409 article from Modified Mustangs and Fords

Old BOSS 409 article from Modified Mustangs and Fords

March 11th, 2013, 1:20 pm #1

From 2006, stumbled across it this morning..

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarti ... ine_build/

4.250 Bore (Should un-shroud the valves very well) 3.60 stroke,

Jim Smart does go on to bash the 4V heads and push the Scott Main prepared MPG 3V heads but its still a neat old Engine Masters build up.
-blizz

351C.net, not just any old internet car forum,

March 11th, 2013, 11:00 pm #2

the heavy Cleveland engine vs the SBC. Just stuff one of these in the front of your street stock and now you're lighter than the Chibby.

March 12th, 2013, 2:06 pm #3

Jim Smart does go on to bash the 4V heads and push the Scott Main prepared MPG 3V heads but its still a neat old Engine Masters build up.
-blizz

Might want to add this into the wiki - think we had a recent discussion about the merits of such a swap

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engi ... etor_swap/

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

March 16th, 2013, 5:18 am #4

Not a bad article; but I just have one question.  That article states (and I did the ol' "cut and paste" routine to ensure I was accurate):

" Just so you know, all two-barrel Cleveland engines were hooked to the C4 transmission; factory four-barrel Clevelands were backed by the small-bellhousing C6. " 

Now, I'm just a dumb hick in a cow hat and I'm about as far as one can possibly get from a highly accomplished meck-a-nick... but the '73 Gran Torino I had in High School and the '73 Cougar I now have as a 50+ yr-old Grampaw had two things in common, a 2-bbl C -at least, according to Ford-  and an automatic transmission. 

(The 18 yr-old me REALLY WANTED a Toploader in the Grannie, but she came with a slushbox and she moved so I was happy. The 50+ y.o. Grampaw has now TWO bum knees, and appreciates a gearbox than can operate its own clutches.)

But one bugaboo (and again, I'm striving for accuracy) for me is that, when I decided that the trans fluid 'probably' needed to be replaced; the only screen and pan gasket that would fit was a set for an FMX -on both cars. 

Did the copywriter get the rest of it right?

March 16th, 2013, 10:36 am #5

Yes he got it wrong. In the mustang platform there were only 2 H code 351 clevelands with a C4 trans. Most got the FMX. Some got the C6. In the Fairlane/Torino platform many H codes got C4's but not all.

March 16th, 2013, 12:23 pm #6

Not a bad article; but I just have one question.  That article states (and I did the ol' "cut and paste" routine to ensure I was accurate):

" Just so you know, all two-barrel Cleveland engines were hooked to the C4 transmission; factory four-barrel Clevelands were backed by the small-bellhousing C6. " 

Now, I'm just a dumb hick in a cow hat and I'm about as far as one can possibly get from a highly accomplished meck-a-nick... but the '73 Gran Torino I had in High School and the '73 Cougar I now have as a 50+ yr-old Grampaw had two things in common, a 2-bbl C -at least, according to Ford-  and an automatic transmission. 

(The 18 yr-old me REALLY WANTED a Toploader in the Grannie, but she came with a slushbox and she moved so I was happy. The 50+ y.o. Grampaw has now TWO bum knees, and appreciates a gearbox than can operate its own clutches.)

But one bugaboo (and again, I'm striving for accuracy) for me is that, when I decided that the trans fluid 'probably' needed to be replaced; the only screen and pan gasket that would fit was a set for an FMX -on both cars. 

Did the copywriter get the rest of it right?
I dig them newfangled automatic trans too. My left knee had 300K miles on it when I finally got an automatic...

About magazine articles, there's journalism, and then there's researched scholarly writing. In other words, consider the source.

b

March 16th, 2013, 1:40 pm #7

Whenever one reads that Ford never did "xxxxxx" or "only that" take it with a lot of grains of salt.

Case in point. Teenage Jay Leno's dad's 1966 (or maybe it was a 67?) Ford Galaxie (sorry, 428 FE) that he checked off for when his dad gave him the order sheet. The car arrived with factory in installed......wait for it....glasspacks! Ford did back them offer tons of combinations, unusual as many were, to combat GM's inroads into its base.

March 16th, 2013, 4:17 pm #8

-blizz

about "why rear engine dragsters work" or something . there is also an article about ford and chevy 366 drag racing engines .

anybody got that copy ?

Henry Ford said to Barney Oldfield: You made me and I made you. Oldfield shook his head and replied Old 999 made both of us.

Fluff Brown

March 16th, 2013, 5:41 pm #9

Its old from 70,s got pic of him on cover in fire suit giving peace sign and car in back of him?

March 17th, 2013, 1:11 am #10

I'm hoping the cleveland article isn't the same one as in the cleveland book

Henry Ford said to Barney Oldfield: You made me and I made you. Oldfield shook his head and replied Old 999 made both of us.

Fluff Brown