Oil pan interference

Oil pan interference

January 6th, 2012, 2:21 pm #1

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to properly modify my oil pan/main girdle so they clear each other? It looks as though the problem is only in one spot where the pan tapers down (away from the sump)
I was thinking of heating up the spot with a torch, then carefully massaging the pan to clear. Any thoughts on this? I would rather not modify the girdle if I can get away with it. Also wondering if I can paint over the zinc coating once I'm done, or do I need to re-plate it? -it's a zinc plated, steel Moroso oil pan.
Last edited by quick69cougar on January 6th, 2012, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 6th, 2012, 3:00 pm #2

a picture would help.

January 6th, 2012, 3:11 pm #3

Ya, I know, sorry! I uploaded a few to snapbucket, but for some reason it doesn't come up properly? I'll try it on my home computer soon... Maybe I'll have better luck then!

January 6th, 2012, 8:44 pm #4

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to properly modify my oil pan/main girdle so they clear each other? It looks as though the problem is only in one spot where the pan tapers down (away from the sump)
I was thinking of heating up the spot with a torch, then carefully massaging the pan to clear. Any thoughts on this? I would rather not modify the girdle if I can get away with it. Also wondering if I can paint over the zinc coating once I'm done, or do I need to re-plate it? -it's a zinc plated, steel Moroso oil pan.
I had the same problem with my 408C and the stud girdle and Moroso pan fitment. In order to make the rodcaps clear the main girdle I had to hard shim the girdle up off the main caps. It made the pan hit in the tapered area you addressed. I ball-peinned the pan in that radius and actually ground the outer rail of the girdle to make the pan fit. After hours of work it weeps from one of the pan bolts in that area. I am going to pull the pan off and replace it with a Canton pan, I don't think I need the girdle with the 4-bolt D2AE-GA block.

The Older I get......The faster I WAS!