Oh you tone sucking pigs!

Oh you tone sucking pigs!

September 26th, 2010, 10:58 am #1

Hope all is well with the Amp Forum... Been a while since I last posted something here and we seem to still be on the same page. Not that it really matters but I wanna hear what some of those amps and guitars sound like. I need something to wake me from this tropical coma... Anyway... Tom, Joe, Ben, Paul and all other motorhead maniacs whose name I can't remember in my present state of being...

Cheers and all that rot, buddymac

http://www.bobdylan.com/audio/albumtrac ... ighway.asx

September 28th, 2010, 6:32 pm #2

Been a while! Yeah I'm still messin around with the latest bass incarnation, the carbon fiber one. Its coming along, I've been working more on the electrical/tuning portion of it lately though, so it's still silent. It should be done in a couple of weeks though! Actually I'm shooting for Friday, but it isn't looking likely. Lots of work left. But this is the fun part, when it actually starts lookin' like something and not just a pile of bits and pieces!
One thing I've learned - winding pickups is a royal fucking pain. Out of like a dozen attempts I got one coil that I didn't fuck up. Just need four more now!

September 29th, 2010, 12:40 am #3

Hope all is well with the Amp Forum... Been a while since I last posted something here and we seem to still be on the same page. Not that it really matters but I wanna hear what some of those amps and guitars sound like. I need something to wake me from this tropical coma... Anyway... Tom, Joe, Ben, Paul and all other motorhead maniacs whose name I can't remember in my present state of being...

Cheers and all that rot, buddymac

Yard sale purchase. Needs an output transformer so I got one from a friend. Needs more gain, and that will require another tube because the preamp on this thing is anemic.

Don Hills continues to build cool little amps.

How the hell are you, Budward?

"Understeer is hitting the wall with the front of your car. Oversteer is hitting it with the rear." --"Fireball" Roberts

October 8th, 2010, 1:21 pm #4

I'm Ok Tom for a washed up swashbuckling rock and roller

I didn't know that Univox made apms. It's putty in your hands if you know what I mean.

The first guitar I ever owned was a 62' Gibson Melody Maker... I then bought a Univox double humbucker from a kid around the corner for 40 bucks. I took the bridge pick up from it and had a woodworker route the single pole Gibson route for the Univox humbucker. Call me a **** sucking SOB for chopping up a Melody Maker but the sound that it kicked through my Vox Scorpion at the time was like ummm Led Zep 1. So no regrets there.

I've found Fernandes Telecasters at the border to Cambodia for under a hundred US. I remember what Billy Gibbons said... (paraphrase) "If it's got two humbuckers and is a hundred bucks or less, buy it".

Presently I'm listening to Humble Pie and thinking that they were the precursors to AC/DC. Anyone have an opinion on that opinion?

Forget about the check we'll get hell to pay.

Last edited by rancherohell on October 8th, 2010, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 8th, 2010, 1:43 pm #5

Been a while! Yeah I'm still messin around with the latest bass incarnation, the carbon fiber one. Its coming along, I've been working more on the electrical/tuning portion of it lately though, so it's still silent. It should be done in a couple of weeks though! Actually I'm shooting for Friday, but it isn't looking likely. Lots of work left. But this is the fun part, when it actually starts lookin' like something and not just a pile of bits and pieces!
One thing I've learned - winding pickups is a royal fucking pain. Out of like a dozen attempts I got one coil that I didn't fuck up. Just need four more now!
I can see a carbon fiber wrap in the neck for strength. I'm trying to imagine a two pound bass that has thumpity thump thump. I'll graciously allocate a pound to strings, pick-ups and various and sundry hardware;)

Sounds fascinating! Nothing like living, drawing or playing outside the box to advance rock and roll.

I mean we aren't afraid to take chances are we?

I'd like an update if you have one, it's been several weeks since the first post.

Cheers, Alex

Last edited by rancherohell on October 8th, 2010, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 10th, 2010, 11:45 am #6

Wish my 30 year old Hondo that weighs five tons was made of C.F sometimes lol. Might not have survived all those years before I could afford a case, of just being thrown in the boot of the car/ back of the van and bounced around though lol

October 10th, 2010, 11:16 pm #7

I can see a carbon fiber wrap in the neck for strength. I'm trying to imagine a two pound bass that has thumpity thump thump. I'll graciously allocate a pound to strings, pick-ups and various and sundry hardware;)

Sounds fascinating! Nothing like living, drawing or playing outside the box to advance rock and roll.

I mean we aren't afraid to take chances are we?

I'd like an update if you have one, it's been several weeks since the first post.

Cheers, Alex

I'll get some pics up as soon as I have a chance.
The carbon fiber instrument thing isn't entirely new territory, there have been a number of CF string instruments. Check out these:
http://www.luisandclark.com/
They sound pretty darn good, but I'm not really an expert in bow instrument sound

I've seen a few other carbon fiber and guitar mixes, though most have been CF wrapped around a wood core - my Parker Fly guitar is like that. My bass will have wood through the neck and the center of the body, while the body 'wings' will be hollow. The neck needs the support to keep it from twisting. The CF is incredibly strong in bending, but it twists fairly easily. I also threw a truss rod in there, although I doubt I'll need it with the CF's strength and stability. I kind of doubt the truss rod will even be able to move it if I wanted it to! Probably would just pop the fingerboard off before it bent the neck any appreciable amount. I'm just hoping I did my geometry right so I won't need to adjust it

I think Modulus makes carbon fiber wrapped necks for basses, I've seen pictures of Flea from the Chili Peppers playing one, with a naked CF neck.

Lately I've been working on some of the extra bits I need to get done for it, winding pickups and machining tuner parts. I ran a test with my auto-tuning mechanism, it pulled 60lb of tension, so it should be good to go! Just need to finish up the control system circuit shit and put it all together. Sounds so easy when I sum it up like that!

October 12th, 2010, 11:41 pm #8

I'm Ok Tom for a washed up swashbuckling rock and roller

I didn't know that Univox made apms. It's putty in your hands if you know what I mean.

The first guitar I ever owned was a 62' Gibson Melody Maker... I then bought a Univox double humbucker from a kid around the corner for 40 bucks. I took the bridge pick up from it and had a woodworker route the single pole Gibson route for the Univox humbucker. Call me a **** sucking SOB for chopping up a Melody Maker but the sound that it kicked through my Vox Scorpion at the time was like ummm Led Zep 1. So no regrets there.

I've found Fernandes Telecasters at the border to Cambodia for under a hundred US. I remember what Billy Gibbons said... (paraphrase) "If it's got two humbuckers and is a hundred bucks or less, buy it".

Presently I'm listening to Humble Pie and thinking that they were the precursors to AC/DC. Anyone have an opinion on that opinion?

Forget about the check we'll get hell to pay.
I know you claim that there were so many angry fathers , husbands , boyfriends etc that it just wasn't safe anymore , but Tom said the way to tell if you were lying would be if your mouth was open ...

so what really happened ? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ?!

H.I. THE SUN DONT RISE AND SET ON THE CORNER GROCERY !

October 14th, 2010, 2:42 pm #9

I never said you lied. I said you took my vodka, my steel belted radials, my best garden hose and my neighbors blossoming 14 year old daughter with the adorable puffies (leaving only a small deposit and a worthless IOU) and ran off the North American continental plate like a bandit.

Did I tell him too much?

"Understeer is hitting the wall with the front of your car. Oversteer is hitting it with the rear." --"Fireball" Roberts

October 16th, 2010, 3:28 pm #10

...and it'd be true!

So I swapped her for a bottle of Southern Comfort and a jump on a slow freighter to Cambodia. I joined the pickle me like Keith club... just looking for a place where I can stay 15 forever. It seems to be working...had a glitch or two with the plumbing, otherwise but my timing is spot on. I think it's cause I started off as a drummer as a kid.

Ever notice how fucking spot on Charlie Watts was...and there is no fucking way I'm giving you back the garden hose!