Octane boost and what grade of gas do you use

Octane boost and what grade of gas do you use

April 7th, 2012, 2:54 pm #1

73 Mustang, c6, 3.50 gears 4v closed chamber flat tops. I have total advance at 36 degrees. Weekend cruiser.

I always run premium, which here in AZ means 91 and I have added super 104 for as long as I can remember. I get a little pinging sometimes and can probably fix it by slowing the advance curve since I have a lot of initial timing.

But yesterday I was running low on gas amd didn't have any super 104 in the trunk (I usually carry a spare bottle). So I filled her up with 91 octane and figured I would just drive less agressivly on the way home. I really figured it would start to ping real easy. But the weird thing is, it seemed to not really ping at all. I even got on it a few times and couldn't hear the ping.

I will do some more experimenting today but I am curious as to what gas/octane boost combo you guys use, if any. Super 104 isn't cheap and I know that previous engine setups (2v open chamber) would ping like crazy without it.

April 7th, 2012, 4:06 pm #2

You can try toluene. Go down to the hardware/paint store and buy a gallon. There is a formula on the web for homebrewed octane booster using it. It will mess up smog parts on a cat equiped car though. 100 octane unocal is 25% toluene. Read the 104+ can and thats how it raises octane

April 7th, 2012, 4:49 pm #3

73 Mustang, c6, 3.50 gears 4v closed chamber flat tops. I have total advance at 36 degrees. Weekend cruiser.

I always run premium, which here in AZ means 91 and I have added super 104 for as long as I can remember. I get a little pinging sometimes and can probably fix it by slowing the advance curve since I have a lot of initial timing.

But yesterday I was running low on gas amd didn't have any super 104 in the trunk (I usually carry a spare bottle). So I filled her up with 91 octane and figured I would just drive less agressivly on the way home. I really figured it would start to ping real easy. But the weird thing is, it seemed to not really ping at all. I even got on it a few times and couldn't hear the ping.

I will do some more experimenting today but I am curious as to what gas/octane boost combo you guys use, if any. Super 104 isn't cheap and I know that previous engine setups (2v open chamber) would ping like crazy without it.
A little lead will do ya! It's only a couple dollars per gallon more than pump unleaded, can't even buy a can of octane boost for that.

April 7th, 2012, 5:12 pm #4

You can try toluene. Go down to the hardware/paint store and buy a gallon. There is a formula on the web for homebrewed octane booster using it. It will mess up smog parts on a cat equiped car though. 100 octane unocal is 25% toluene. Read the 104+ can and thats how it raises octane
http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~charlie/phot ... luene.html

i've used it in my S/C'd computer controlled late model smogger with a cat and haven't had any ill effects, 125k on the clock now. i just filled it up with Cam 2 GT unleaded this week @ $6.89/gal, before hanging up the nozzle i took a sniff of the blend and got Toluene in my noseholes

as mentioned in the article if you average by volume whatever the ingredient in the 104 is to a tankfull of gas you're diluting the product down so much it'd be a miracle if it raises the octane a single point. i can see if you're running a small racing fuel cell or mixing a can of gas but a whole tank is gonna 'eat up' the little can of 104

i looked up the CAS number on an Octane Boost product, don't remember which one it was 10 years ago but i do recall that the number came back Kerosene. a darn expensive 1/2 quart of Kerosene at that!

yeah Aviation LL100 will do the trick too, bring a 5 gallon jug to the local airport and tell them you need it for a dirt bike or ATV's(no highway taxes) and they'll probably get you going

are you running stock heat range or colder plugs?

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

April 7th, 2012, 6:30 pm #5

A little lead will do ya! It's only a couple dollars per gallon more than pump unleaded, can't even buy a can of octane boost for that.
http://100ll.com/

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

April 7th, 2012, 7:51 pm #6

http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~charlie/phot ... luene.html

i've used it in my S/C'd computer controlled late model smogger with a cat and haven't had any ill effects, 125k on the clock now. i just filled it up with Cam 2 GT unleaded this week @ $6.89/gal, before hanging up the nozzle i took a sniff of the blend and got Toluene in my noseholes

as mentioned in the article if you average by volume whatever the ingredient in the 104 is to a tankfull of gas you're diluting the product down so much it'd be a miracle if it raises the octane a single point. i can see if you're running a small racing fuel cell or mixing a can of gas but a whole tank is gonna 'eat up' the little can of 104

i looked up the CAS number on an Octane Boost product, don't remember which one it was 10 years ago but i do recall that the number came back Kerosene. a darn expensive 1/2 quart of Kerosene at that!

yeah Aviation LL100 will do the trick too, bring a 5 gallon jug to the local airport and tell them you need it for a dirt bike or ATV's(no highway taxes) and they'll probably get you going

are you running stock heat range or colder plugs?

Wow, I am going to give that stuff a try. Like an idiot I thought using super 104 and raising my octane a few points meant 91 to 93 or 94. Good lesson.

I run 'stock' heat range plugs. For example, champion rv12yc. You think I should try a colder plug?

I welcome any suggestions and thank you guys for the support.

April 8th, 2012, 12:42 am #7

<div>Years ago on my flat top/CC 4V street stuff I just used 93 pump gas (Texas) for running around on the street. When going to the track at first I tried the 104 booster (as added insurance), but didn't like it. It always left a nasty residue in the carb bowls. Later instead of the 104 crap I just added a little race gas to the mix when going to the track. </div><div> </div><div>I had wanted to also try some AVgas in the mix instead of the racing gas, but never had a chance to try it.   </div>

April 8th, 2012, 6:46 am #8

Wow, I am going to give that stuff a try. Like an idiot I thought using super 104 and raising my octane a few points meant 91 to 93 or 94. Good lesson.

I run 'stock' heat range plugs. For example, champion rv12yc. You think I should try a colder plug?

I welcome any suggestions and thank you guys for the support.
but better be a CD ignition, if running points, duraspark or other inductive ignition, don't go any colder than what you have,or it'll foul the plugs.

April 8th, 2012, 3:02 pm #9

<div>Years ago on my flat top/CC 4V street stuff I just used 93 pump gas (Texas) for running around on the street. When going to the track at first I tried the 104 booster (as added insurance), but didn't like it. It always left a nasty residue in the carb bowls. Later instead of the 104 crap I just added a little race gas to the mix when going to the track. </div><div> </div><div>I had wanted to also try some AVgas in the mix instead of the racing gas, but never had a chance to try it.   </div>

I use Torco race fuels Accelerator fuel additive. I get it from S&W Race Cars in Spring City PA. I get it in 32 oz cans for $20 a can. One can in 10 gallons of premium unleaded is stated as giving you 102 octane. I run it in my Cleveland on the street. It has 11.5 compression with cc 4 barrel heads and an Isky cam with 246 - 252 duration at .050 lift and 106 degree lobe centers. I run 36 degrees total timing with 15 degrees initial. It seems to do the job and it is still cheaper than race fuel here in PA which was 7$ to $8 the last time I checked.

April 10th, 2012, 7:06 pm #10

Run one step colder plug and watch the timing. I use 93 premium when I can find it at 10.5:1. 91 works but not as well. An "octane point" with 104 means .1, not "1".

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.