New Chevy Head-I think you will see where I am going with this

New Chevy Head-I think you will see where I am going with this

May 25th, 2012, 2:57 pm #1

Here is a picture of the new RDP-SBX Australian Small Block Chevy Pro Stock head. I found this picture on the Speedtalk forum in the advanced tech forum. The first thing I thought of was how much it looks like a Cleveland head. Did you guys get the same first impression? This head made 1140 hp on a 399.8 cid engine (I beleive N/A). If Ford had made a Cleveland head with the intake and exhaust ports raised up about one inch there still would not be a better head on the market even today. The 351c was way ahead of its time, even though it was a compromise to install in a Mustang engine compartment.

www.lifterboretools.com

May 25th, 2012, 3:59 pm #2

I've been following that thread for awhile now also. I suppose that head does resemble a Cleveland head (kinda), but let's not forget though that the Ford D3 still holds the Australian Pro Stock record and it's been around for almost 10 years now, give or take.

http://www.mbellc.com/index.php/d3-ford ... o-or-solid

May 25th, 2012, 5:43 pm #3

Here is a picture of the new RDP-SBX Australian Small Block Chevy Pro Stock head. I found this picture on the Speedtalk forum in the advanced tech forum. The first thing I thought of was how much it looks like a Cleveland head. Did you guys get the same first impression? This head made 1140 hp on a 399.8 cid engine (I beleive N/A). If Ford had made a Cleveland head with the intake and exhaust ports raised up about one inch there still would not be a better head on the market even today. The 351c was way ahead of its time, even though it was a compromise to install in a Mustang engine compartment.

www.lifterboretools.com
> If Ford had made a Cleveland head with the intake and exhaust ports
> raised up about one inch there still would not be a better head on
> the market even today.

Ford did that about 30 years ago and called it the A3. It's still
an excellent head today. The D3's are killer.

Dan Jones

May 25th, 2012, 11:41 pm #4

I know about the evolution of the A3, B3 and C3 to D4,Yates and SC1 Heads but, what I was refering to a head that was actually made for a production car being way ahead of its time in 1969. Funny how Yates heads went away from canted valves and now the fast heads have canted valves again. I think even today, Ford Engineers are ahead of some of the others in engine design with their 3 and 4 valve overhead cams and hydralic chain tensioners.

www.lifterboretools.com

May 26th, 2012, 7:49 am #5

Agreed Denny!

Its the grand daddy of all modern OHV race engines, it wasn't perfect, but the Ford engineers raised the bar tremendously with the Cleveland motor. It must have been very good, and very advanced, if aspects of its design are still being copied today.

There's a whole bunch of other cylinder heads from that era that AREN'T being copied.

-G

Pantera Photos | 351C Historic Information | 351C Technical Information

If you use a 351C 4V powered vehicle for a grocery getter ... the eggs aren't going to make it home!
Last edited by gpence on May 28th, 2012, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2012, 7:36 pm #6

> According to D.Jones the 4V heads, the Shelby intake, restrictive DeTomaso factory
> exhaust and my humble little Cobra Jet cam are good for 420 bhp at 6000 rpm and
> 430 ft/lbs at 4500 rpm,

Please don't put words into my mouth. The head flow used in that simulation was for
a set that had short side radius work and flowed 322 CFM @ 0.600" on McLain's flow
bench. The intake is more representative of a Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap or a
BT/Shelby with a 1" spacer and the four bad runners brought up to match the flow
of the four good runners. The exhaust used Pantera header dimensions and the most
restrictive mufflers in Dynomation. The latter are still considerably better than
the stock ANSA mufflers. As I've stated before, Dynomation can be optimistic to the
tune of 40 ft-lbs on 351C's peak torque. In my experience the match gets better as
RPM increases and peak power can be a good match. What it's best at doing is predicting
the differences due to discrete changes, not absolute numbers. It's also very good at
predicting the RPMs at which peak torque and peak HP will occur.

Dan Jones

May 30th, 2012, 3:18 am #7

I agree 100% with you those Intake Ports look a lot like 4V Cleveland Heads.They also have no coolant passages like the typical SBC head.

Later Mark.