Need Active Crossover Recommendations

Need Active Crossover Recommendations

July 26th, 2006, 2:16 pm #1

Any thoughts on a good active x-over I can buy or build to control a set of hi-freq drivers. It needs to have a variable x-over point as I don't yet know where I want to x-over to occur. I going to build a seperate set of hi-freq boxes so I can tri-amp my setup. I'm going to try a Phase Linear 400 for the hi frequencies to see how it sounds. If there's a good schematic I'd be interested in building it.

July 26th, 2006, 4:45 pm #2

ALOT ! I've never fooled with one so I'm not much help.

July 29th, 2006, 1:20 pm #3

Any thoughts on a good active x-over I can buy or build to control a set of hi-freq drivers. It needs to have a variable x-over point as I don't yet know where I want to x-over to occur. I going to build a seperate set of hi-freq boxes so I can tri-amp my setup. I'm going to try a Phase Linear 400 for the hi frequencies to see how it sounds. If there's a good schematic I'd be interested in building it.
I just bought on ebay a DBX 234LX crossover. This is a piece of pro audio gear. The thing is loaded with features and will do exactly what I need. My concern is that it will sound clean at the crossover frequencies. Time will tell.

I picked up a pair of 2402H "bullit type" hi-freq drivers. I'm having new diaphragms installad and will build cabinest for them. They'll stack on top of the L100s. It will be a month or so before I can test the setup.

July 29th, 2006, 4:54 pm #4

you'll probably need to pad them down since they are so much more efficient than the other drivers.

My 2404's had to be cut all the way back on the attenuator they were intense ! they were also on top of E145's which have about 96-98 db sensitivity on their own , the 2404's still overshadowed them .

All of those jbl ring radiators mean serious business !

July 31st, 2006, 4:40 pm #5

Depending on how the horn drivers are loaded you might want to look for a crossover that offers an EQ switch for use with a radial horn. Without EQ a radial horn high frequency can sound rather odd..

July 31st, 2006, 11:23 pm #6

are you talking about phase coherence ? Mine have nothing but a cap and an L pad . The cap is the high pass and the L pad can be used to roll it down for "hifi" listening or rolled up to "kill" (partying in large rooms)it does not sound odd at all ,without eq . All the ring radiators from jbl are already loaded they need no supporting structures , except for cosmetic reasons.

August 1st, 2006, 2:11 am #7

I just bought on ebay a DBX 234LX crossover. This is a piece of pro audio gear. The thing is loaded with features and will do exactly what I need. My concern is that it will sound clean at the crossover frequencies. Time will tell.

I picked up a pair of 2402H "bullit type" hi-freq drivers. I'm having new diaphragms installad and will build cabinest for them. They'll stack on top of the L100s. It will be a month or so before I can test the setup.
They arrived today and were damaged during shipping. The box was split open. The magnet on one of the drivers is shattered. The other has a small chip taken out. Finding a replacement magnet will be a trick! They had insurance, so with any luck I shouldn't be ok.

Don