my control pots are dirty

my control pots are dirty

May 12th, 2006, 2:59 pm #1

on the attenuators . If I have to go in there I might just bypass them , If I need them I can't tell it but I haven't jumped on em yet . I may also replace the capacitors they're probably bad.

buddymac
buddymac

May 12th, 2006, 6:12 pm #2

xxx

May 12th, 2006, 9:45 pm #3

they're kinda hard to get to , and the finish is so nice I kinda hate to go after it with my clumsy ass and a screwdriver !

I would leave em but if they are dirty ,and they are , they could POP at times and if it happens while I'm throwing the juice it could damage the speaker . It's the attenuator on the le5 midrange that's the worst one . Where I have it set now there are no problems , it stays on full time, but just in case it doesn't .....I need to clean the pot.

May 13th, 2006, 12:15 am #4

Might as well oil them now while your tearing the rest of it up.

The more I look at those speakers the more I want...

May 13th, 2006, 12:19 am #5

Ive got the Old jbl Controll 10's and I haven't got a clus as to how they come apart.

Any ideas short of explosives or an impact hammer?

May 13th, 2006, 2:59 pm #6

It's a pain I know ... The century's have a tube inside the speaker that the mid fits in , so they could voice it just right . All this shit's in the way of maintenance .

When you do get century's fixed though you're set for another 35 years ! if you don't let the amp clip.

You could do a hell of a lot worse than centurys ! I'll post a listening test review in a bit , but I can tell you that as far as speakers go these are like the small block chevy in terms of finding replacement parts and what have you . You don't have to coon the ridge looking for rare shit generally.

The 4412's are just as good sonically basically the same thing , all commonly available on ebay . look for nice ones even though you can refinish them cause it MAY mean that they had a particular owner , PROBABLY does or how would they have made it lo, these many years ?

May 13th, 2006, 3:34 pm #7

Ive got the Old jbl Controll 10's and I haven't got a clus as to how they come apart.

Any ideas short of explosives or an impact hammer?
that's a sound reinforcement type , may not be a way to get in there it may be glued together , which means a cut off wheel on a die grinder , or a sawzall .

Those speakers appear to be a direct descendant of the century , they may even sound better because of the Ti tweeter especially .

If you bust those speakers out of the plastic you can put them in a more attractive enclosure and have a similar sounding speaker as the century I guess ..really don't know !

The 12" is a later "SFG" speaker it will sound different than a 123A could be better though ...
The mid is probably an LE5-something , mine have le5-2's they just kept "updating" them I'm not sure what number they were up to when your control 10 was made.
The tweeter is all new not even like my old LE20-T , should be better !

May 13th, 2006, 6:11 pm #8

Yes they do sound great joe.

I just wanted to clean up the grill a bit...I just can't find a way in. they have never been abused...but dust and stuff on the grill. I can vacum a bit...but compressed air will just blow it around behind the grill. I'll call jbl and request the time of one of their techs.

They are like the ones I showed you on an ebay like in a post a week or so ago. I got them from my brother years ago who got them while he was in japan. He also had a fablous Sansui system fron the eary 70's that he picked up on one of his visits.

Lots of mounting locations on the cab and a recessed handle on the top which is pretty cool. They look like they could be dropped out of an airplane land on a rock and bounce into the ocean and still work fine. They were made with this in mind I think.

May 13th, 2006, 6:33 pm #9

yours have foam surrounds don't they ? If they have deteriorated it could blow the surrounds slap out !

What component speakers are in yours ?

May 13th, 2006, 7:32 pm #10

the perforated meatal grill is simply bent at 90 and uses a compression fit into a channel between the baffel and the cab. I slipped a General Ruler No. 715(stainless steel made in USA) between the cab and the grill at the bottom under the jbl badge and slowly worked up and out from there. No damage to ruler or grill;)

All I can tell you is that it is not a foam surround on the tweeter...all that is visible is the dome. It seems to have a solid plate that surrounds it. I don't have my camera at this moment. But I'll try to find a pic.or get my camera back so you can see. Gotta love the way a 12'woofer looks;)

Good news is I can get them cleaned up.