Mark / Tod Mark if you wish to explain the differences between your block and Tod's...

Mark / Tod Mark if you wish to explain the differences between your block and Tod's...

April 11th, 2012, 2:34 am #1

feel free to post in this thread.

It might be valuable for you to point out the differences between your design and Tod,s more "Authentic looking" block. I think there is a market for both, as most restoration projects would not need 4.125 bores and full bulkhead mains. Tod's block would be a great block for that purpose as the supply of factory blocks that still have bore capacity dwindles.

I believe both Mark and Tod are professionals and will maintain a professional conversation.

What I will not permit is others chiming in adding inferences and innuendo on a topic for which they have no first hand knowledge. OK?
-blizz Forum Owner

April 16th, 2012, 4:26 pm #2

"I believe both Mark and Tod are professionals and will maintain a professional conversation.

What I will not permit is others chiming in adding inferences and innuendo on a topic for which they have no first hand knowledge. OK?
-blizz Forum OwnerBlizz,"

I composed a pretty lengthy response last week to the goings on that was already started. The thread had been locked by the time I finished typing it out, it was not to slam anyone or their product, but a statement of facts. I think I already have posted here in a professional manner including wishing Tod well in his endeavors and that I think there is room for multiple choices in the Cleveland block market.
As to posting the differences in our blocks in a professional manner, I think that opportunity has already passed, especially since you state that you will not tolerate any info from anyone that does not have first hand knowledge. I'll put this as simply as I can, I have already been accused of copying Tod's block by someone with no first hand knowledge of both blocks, as I am the ONLY one who has seen the details of both. At this point there is only one person who can have this discussion and I do not relish the thought of discussing this with myself.

I think this may be a good opportunity for Tod and MME to list and explain the feature of our own products. I think a discussion of the differences would be unfair to Tod as he does not have our block to compare to.

I believe it is more productive to promote our own products on their own merits rather that explaining why one is better than the other. This way consumers have positive information to make their purchasing decision on rather than negative opinionated information.

Mark McKeown
McKeown Motorsport Engineering, Inc.
http://mmeracing.com
http://racecrateengines.com
Mark McKeown
McKeown Motorsport Engineering Inc
http://www.mmeracing.com
301-246-9225

April 17th, 2012, 3:09 am #3

A couple of years ago, when a new Cleveland block was being discussed here, I posted that multiple efforts to bring one to market would be a good thing. That was an unpopular viewpoint back then but I still believe it today. A free market economy is what made this country great. I hope I will be able to purchasing a new block in a few years and that I have a few choices. If I only have one choice it will be due to the fact somebody had the best combination of price, design, value, and availability. Competition always makes things better for the consumer. I wish all the luck to both Tod and Mark and that the competition between them can remain professional.

April 17th, 2012, 3:56 am #4

Well said Mark! Let's face it, on the Cleveland block, if you are going to build an updated/improved block.there are certain areas that obviously need improvement. When you do that, the blocks will look very similar anyway. I wish the best of luck to both Mark and Tod!

Mike

April 17th, 2012, 1:03 pm #5

"I believe both Mark and Tod are professionals and will maintain a professional conversation.

-blizz Forum OwnerBlizz,"

I composed a pretty lengthy response last week to the goings on that was already started. The thread had been locked by the time I finished typing it out, it was not to slam anyone or their product, but a statement of facts. I think I already have posted here in a professional manner including wishing Tod well in his endeavors and that I think there is room for multiple choices in the Cleveland block market.
As to posting the differences in our blocks in a professional manner, I think that opportunity has already passed, especially since you state that you will not tolerate any info from anyone that does not have first hand knowledge. I'll put this as simply as I can, I have already been accused of copying Tod's block by someone with no first hand knowledge of both blocks, as I am the ONLY one who has seen the details of both. At this point there is only one person who can have this discussion and I do not relish the thought of discussing this with myself.

I think this may be a good opportunity for Tod and MME to list and explain the feature of our own products. I think a discussion of the differences would be unfair to Tod as he does not have our block to compare to.

I believe it is more productive to promote our own products on their own merits rather that explaining why one is better than the other. This way consumers have positive information to make their purchasing decision on rather than negative opinionated information.

Mark McKeown
That is why I locked the other thread and started this one for a clear clean discussion of the differences between the 2 designs.

feel free to post here.
As I have done in the other thread, if others start chiming in, in a negative way, I'll lock her down again. This should be a place for both yourself and Tod to promote your new designs without the outlying chatter.

blizz

Happy New Year 2012!!..

April 17th, 2012, 2:21 pm #6

For now I will keep my responses geared toward my product and try to keep things going forward in a positive manner. I do not want what I have to say to be misinterpreted as me promoting my product in a negative way so the best way not to have that happen is to keep it to myself for now. I'll see how things proceed from here on my decision to post.

Mark McKeown
Mark McKeown
McKeown Motorsport Engineering Inc
http://www.mmeracing.com
301-246-9225

April 18th, 2012, 2:08 am #7

Mark,
Do you have any pictures?? not Cad / 3D drawings.
We have all seen Tod's fantastic Blocks, lets get a look at your new one.
Last edited by GT-SCOTT on April 18th, 2012, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 18th, 2012, 12:06 pm #8

Maybe we will see something in a few weeks.

http://www.mooregoodink.com/news/?p=3108

"Waldorf, MD: With tooling and foundry work now in progress, MME (McKeown Motorsport Engineering) will soon be reproducing the Worlds first aftermarket Cleveland engine blocks. Named Titus, deliveries are expected in May 2012 and the first specimens will be available in aluminum and then in cast iron.

Now accepting advance orders, these newly designed blocks with deck heights of 9.2in and 9.5in to accommodate 460+cu in. feature stronger webbing, splayed mains and a host of other improvements.

MME, a consistent top finisher in the annual Engine Masters Challenge will contest this years title, entering two new Titus engines in the competition. Company head Mark McKeown has an accomplished record as a high-performance Ford engine builder for almost 30 years."

After many months of input from many people here and elsewhere, I posted pictures of the development of my block. Model pics, pattern pics, machining pics, foundry pics. Printed specs can be found here too. I have refrained from promising anything because of the production problems foundries have forced on me. I have refused to take countless deposits, and still have several people every week wanting to send money. One guy wants to be a dealer and wants to personally bring me a considerable sum, but I have turned it down until the iron foundry actually steps up. Both of my iron sources have more than tripled their work loads since I first tried to get castings. This has made them very difficult to convince to try a casting that is more difficult than most work. And I understand that. I don't like it, but I have to accept it. If they won't promise anything then I can't.

Casting my own aluminum will help a little but I will still need iron blocks.

Tod

April 18th, 2012, 12:56 pm #9

Tod,
I sent a pair of my new heads to the USA this week for a guy using one of your new "Awesome Aluminum Blocks".
Now that would make for some interesting photo's & mouth watering results. lol

Scott

April 18th, 2012, 1:27 pm #10

I appreciate the sentiment, but the aluminum is hardly "awesome." They were never designed to be bulletproof, not the first ones anyway. The plan, as everyone here can remember was to get as close to stock as possible, plus minor improvements and then go to solid bulkheads in aluminum, splayed caps, and possibly 9.5 deck option. But most were opposed to the 9.5 deck since it isn't Cleveland, and I recieved countless emails about that. The current design is what the concensus agreed on. That was assumed to be the largest market. So, that's the way I went.

Scott, email me.

Tod