Loving my little cleveland

Loving my little cleveland

June 1st, 2012, 9:44 pm #1

as ya'll may remember my build, with the custom ground comp hyd roller, the 10.1 compression 30 over motor has logged or been flogged for 6500 miles now with out a hick up. other than some carb issues and staying in the rev limiter constantly I have not had a hick-up. I would like to thank Brent Lykins for his help in getting the valve train right ( comp sent the wrong push rods ). this is really the first really hot cleveland that I don't spend most of my time pulling the valve covers all the time. I have managed to destroy some back tires, but all is good. Brent dynoed it at 421hp at 6050 rpm.
Thanks

June 2nd, 2012, 3:24 am #2

That's good power, sounds like a great runner! I miss my 4V...

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

June 2nd, 2012, 11:48 am #3

...and they don't see 6500 miles their entire life. I love to hear that one is actually getting used, and used for what it was made for. That's awesome.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

June 2nd, 2012, 3:03 pm #4

no bog to it what so ever, I was affraid that it would have some bog to it. Other than a small flat spot off idle, where ever you put yur foot that is where she runs. In 4th gear at 40mph just mash and go. The flat spot was worse with the 850 DP but I found the throttle shaft leaking on it, and replaced carb with a quick fuel 750, which made it a lot more friendly but revs slower than the 850 did. With the 640in and 646ex lift roller, and a blue thunder intake and the ported 4v heads I did not know what to expect really, it does have hooker super comp headers on it and a H pipe. With the 4spd and a 3.50 rear gear it does really well, for what I do, dirve it a lot lol.Car seems to idle best at 900-1000 rpm which is way different than I am used to.
I want to thank u Brent for meeting me half way both times and helping me get the thing thang all zipped up, I need to do some rear end work and buy me a set of tires, and then might run it in the 1/8 mile a few times.

June 2nd, 2012, 5:10 pm #5

Comp did ok on the custom grind. I would have changed a few things if I would have ordered it, but the duration (230/236) was right in there. I stuck it on a 104 ICL and that's where you get the good throttle response and behavior down low.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

June 3rd, 2012, 4:20 am #6

LOL it pulls like a bear took my 19 yr old son out in it tonight, he has owned all these late model GT mustangs, I don't think he will go for another ride. His comments were no matter what gear ur in it just goes and goes! LMAO!

June 3rd, 2012, 8:49 am #7

Tony I'm happy for you. I'm glad you're enjoying your motor. You seem to have finally met the Rhino!

I also want to say thank you for posting feedback regarding the powerband, throttle response and low rpm power of your standard displacement iron 4V head motor ... equipped with one of those defective Blue Thunder manifolds no less! Its nice to have someone give the rhino a try and agree with me based on experience ... rather than disagree with me having no experience.

Long may you run

June 3rd, 2012, 5:31 pm #8

Well George mine may not be the best example, my heads were previously shaved 100 thousands, my heads were ported kinda over kill, my intake is not port matched neither are the headers so I am leaving horsepower on the table. The reason I had mine dynoed, is because I wanted reality. There is a lot of advice givin from arm chair warriors that don"t even own a cleveland, everyone is a expert as long as they are not spending the money. I have been around them since I was 7 years old so I do know a little about them. I will list all the specs together and post in the engine build section when I have some time. For a street car that I drive alot I got all I need, it will definately out run the brakes lol.
Thanks again everyone.
Tony

June 3rd, 2012, 9:13 pm #9

LOL it pulls like a bear took my 19 yr old son out in it tonight, he has owned all these late model GT mustangs, I don't think he will go for another ride. His comments were no matter what gear ur in it just goes and goes! LMAO!
>> LOL it pulls like a bear took my 19 yr old son out in it tonight, he has owned all these late model GT mustangs, I don't think he will go for another ride.

Sounds like fun! Just keep it between the ditches & keep the rubber side down.

-------------------------------------
Doug