Latest developments.

Latest developments.

September 23rd, 2011, 12:06 pm #1

Finally on the verge of getting another horizontal machining center. This will allow almost complete dedication to block machining. Foundry is ready to cast blocks.

Bad news: I keep getting busier. I'm now backed up with more than a year's worth of specialized work. I'm still trying to figure out where the recession is.

Hope to add a sleeving oven soon too.

Tod

September 23rd, 2011, 3:33 pm #2

hi tod when can i have a block ill test for you free

September 24th, 2011, 1:39 am #3

Iron block?!! Can't hold my breath any longer!

September 26th, 2011, 2:17 am #4

Finally on the verge of getting another horizontal machining center. This will allow almost complete dedication to block machining. Foundry is ready to cast blocks.

Bad news: I keep getting busier. I'm now backed up with more than a year's worth of specialized work. I'm still trying to figure out where the recession is.

Tod
Greetings, Todd;

Both good news and bad news concerning your workload, I see.

On that note, would you be willing to sub out some of your workload? We have some unused manual turning and milling capacity right now. If we can help you out there, you may be able to get back to your block work a bit sooner, and ease some of the concerns of your customers. It may even be feasible for us to add to our CNC capacity if you can give us a firm contract. Welcome to the global machining economy. At least we aren't in China. If you want to email us a few drawings of parts you need, we'd be more than happy to work something out with you.

Don

September 26th, 2011, 11:37 am #5

The glut of extra work is new pattern work coming my way from surrounding pattern shops. This unexpected work includes a new metal pattern setup for a new Snyder Model A head. I take this kind of work because it is my main area of expertise and can run in my Sharnoa while I run parts on other machines.

One pattern coming up soon is the crankcase assembly for an old Roberts airplane engine. Look up "Roberts 6 cylinder aircraft engine" for a look-see. The bottom end is pretty involved.

Tod

September 26th, 2011, 2:11 pm #6

Tod...
What is the near future outlook like for producing your 351C block in either Cast Iron or aluminum?

I understand you have this other work, (airplane engines?) but I also over 2500 351 Cleveland members from all over the world following this forum. Plus many many guests that lurk, not members and don't post.

Many of these guys are looking at replacing / adding an additional engine or two to their inventory, or they have power demands that the 40year old stock blocks cannot hold up to. They have been more than patient in the past 5 years since you first announced that you would be the first to cast 351C blocks in over 30 years.

I believe many sent in deposits and a few blocks have been built.

I'm not sure how much testing has been done, or what the expected capabilities of your blocks are.

Mark at MME has built a few that I know of, but he's not saying much about them and has launched his Cleveland 2K product line of his own using re-con'd factory 351C blocks I believe, so that doesn't inspire much hope on that front.

Several folks email me as the owner of the forum. They ask the same (above) questions over and over. I tell them to wait, the end result will be worth it, and they wait.

Now you are venturing out into even more projects, I assume they are the ones paying your bills, so I cannot fault you for that, yet I wonder where is the 351 Cleveland block on your priority list?

Please excuse me for asking this on a public forum, but when speaking on behalf of this forum, I thought it best ask it here.

Todd Fuchs
BlizzardND owner 351C.net

Never Pet a burning dog, and don't fry bacon naked... Gary Busey on Celeb Apprentice.

September 26th, 2011, 6:22 pm #7

Let me see if I can clarify.

What is the near future outlook like for producing your 351C block in either Cast Iron or aluminum?

Since I dont own a foundry I can only relay what I am told. Foundries say they are willing, but just dont seem to ever come through. (Never even return phone calls) Most foundries I have talked to about this wont even think about trying it.

I understand you have this other work, (airplane engines?) but I also over 2500 351 Cleveland members from all over the world following this forum. Plus many, many, guests that lurk, not members and don't post.

My other work has nothing to do with the delays I encounter except that this work fills the void left as I wait for castings.

Many of these guys are looking at replacing / adding an additional engine or two to their inventory, or they have power demands that the 40year old stock blocks cannot hold up to. They have been more than patient in the past 5 years since you first announced that you would be the first to cast 351C blocks in over 30 years.

I believe many sent in deposits and a few blocks have been built.

Some sent deposits, and I have sent some deposits back. I have 9 or 10 people that want to stay with this and dozens more that I have refused to take deposits from because I have no idea what the foundry will really produce.

I'm not sure how much testing has been done, or what the expected capabilities of your blocks are.

Seems to me the only way to know the capabilities is to have one fail. That may or may not happen. Im not aware of any of my FE blocks that have failed.

Mark at MME has built a few that I know of, but he's not saying much about them and has launched his Cleveland 2K product line of his own using re-con'd factory 351C blocks I believe, so that doesn't inspire much hope on that front.

He is waiting too. I hope he would inform me of any failings.

Several folks email me as the owner of the forum. They ask the same (above) questions over and over. I tell them to wait, the end result will be worth it, and they wait.

Send them to me. I will give them the answers they request.

Now you are venturing out into even more projects, I assume they are the ones paying your bills, so I cannot fault you for that, yet I wonder where is the 351 Cleveland block on your priority list?

The constant waiting for weeks and months for things to happen has forced me to sideline the block at times. But, it is always on my mind and in front of me. It is the only reason I am looking at this new machine and oven. I am not venturing into any new projects right now. Cutting pattern shapes is a quick one-time thing I do as filler work.

Please excuse me for asking this on a public forum, but when speaking on behalf of this forum, I thought it best ask it here.

No problem at all.

Now, if I may make a few points (yet again). Some people just dont seem to get it. Some people have no idea what is going on in my industry. I have explained the predicament repeatedly, yet it seems some cant understand plain English.

When I started this project getting castings was not an issue. But machining was. So, I bought my own machines (think Im not serious about this?). Then, the economy tanked and the unexpected result was that foundries got busier. I dont know why, but they did (I have a theory). As I waited for the foundries I was forced to fill the time with other work. Every delay has been in the weeks to months range. Anyone want to go months without income? I am paying the bills with this fill work and have not stopped at all trying to push the block ahead. Every supplier I have is buried with work and no order from me has ever been filled in less than a month. I have bought cores, waited weeks for them to be ready and then watched them go bad as I waited for weeks on end for the foundries to just make a couple of molds (that means taking all of a couple of hours to dump sand in a box). Then I have to replace the bad cores (weeks of waiting again). The reality is that I have to wait months at a time to sample this thing. You just cant get anywhere fast working in those kind of time-frames. But I am at the mercy of other businesses who, despite their god-complexes, are petrified of this level of casting. If I dont go assemble the molds when they finally make some, they would not get assembled at all.
Now, if this results in some people moving on to Windsor blocks, thats just the way it will be.

Tod

September 27th, 2011, 11:31 am #8

Tod
I made the deal on the machining center. Now I just need to get it in here.

Tod

September 27th, 2011, 4:04 pm #9

I know the situation is difficult, and frustrating; and you're doing the best you can.

Stay healthy, take care of yourself.

-G

Pantera Photos | 351C Historic Information | 351C Technical Information

If you use a 351C 4V powered vehicle for a grocery getter ... the eggs aren't going to make it home!