jorgem couple questions on the 4r70w conversion.

jorgem couple questions on the 4r70w conversion.

February 15th, 2012, 3:47 am #1

I am looking at doing this conversion with my cleveland in the very near future. I have most of the parts lined up. Only question is headers. Been told I have to do some cut and weld on my supercomps to make them work. What headers did you end of using for your conversion? What controller for the transmisson are you using. The transmission im getting comes with the optishift controller. Thanks for your time.

My car is a 1969 Mach 1
[/IMG]

February 15th, 2012, 5:25 am #2

I have a 1972 fastback with a built AOD that just uses a TV cable ran to the carburator linkage. don stanley at tsi transmision set me up with everything that I needed.My car make close to 500 to the tire and the trans has been flawless for 2 yrs.

Love having overdrive.

February 15th, 2012, 5:52 am #3

Lentech trans makes a bullet proof ford trans.

February 15th, 2012, 1:30 pm #4

I am looking at doing this conversion with my cleveland in the very near future. I have most of the parts lined up. Only question is headers. Been told I have to do some cut and weld on my supercomps to make them work. What headers did you end of using for your conversion? What controller for the transmisson are you using. The transmission im getting comes with the optishift controller. Thanks for your time.

My car is a 1969 Mach 1
[/IMG]
I had Hooker Comps and now Super Comps and they fit fine no issues.
The 4r70w case has some large aluminum appendages that are probably used during machining that should be removed. Some are on the bell housing and one is near the tailshaft that will rub on the Mustang floor brace, just chop them off with a cutoff wheel or sawzall.
I have a manual shift valve body from Silverfox, Manual shift 1-2-3 only and 2 toggle switches to engage lock up and OD independently, since these 2 functions are electrically activated. I mounted the toggle switches in the ashtray.
No controller, but no auto mode either.
I used the SPT-4r-MVB
http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfox ... 4R70W.html
For the converter I recomend Alan, see below
http://www.dirtydogperformance.com/conv ... od_74.html
The FMX block plate and flexplate worked as well as the factory shifter, with a modified linkage arm.

Best of Luck, thats a nice Mustang.

February 15th, 2012, 7:44 pm #5

"I mounted the toggle switches in the ashtray. "

That's a really good idea. Do you have a picture?

February 15th, 2012, 10:57 pm #6

Lentech trans makes a bullet proof ford trans.
I have both. A built AOD isn't half of a good 4R70W. If anyone wants to guess where your shift points will be then go ahead and go AOD. I learned my lesson already.
If anyone wants 3000 stall, hardened input shaft, wide ratio with blue plate special clutches in an AOD with 1000 miles on it let me know.

February 15th, 2012, 11:46 pm #7

I have not heard a bad word about the lentech aod. I know some guys even bought adapter plates and have them on 880 hp hemis? Google up lentech and check them out! They are built in Canada though! Eh!
Last edited by steve.k on February 15th, 2012, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 17th, 2012, 3:00 am #8

My car is a 1969 Mach 1
[/IMG]
"What controller for the transmission are you using?"

I have heard nothing but good things about OPTISHIFT. I have a AOD in the cougar now, 4R70W is the ticket. Purchased an OPTISHIFT and will eventually replace the AOD with a 4R70W and put the optishift to use. Did your 4r70W and Optishift come St Charles MO?