Job hunt

Job hunt

August 3rd, 2010, 5:35 pm #1

Anyone else out of work? I've been out since October. I actually resigned from my last job, so I haven't been collecting at all. Starting to really dwindle down my savings account. The job postings are not as plentiful as they used to be either. I've been sending out as many resumes as I can each week. Being 57 years old doesn't help. I am over qualified for some jobs and I don't have a degree for most of the jobs I have experience for. Just thought I would vent a bit. Thanks for reading.

August 6th, 2010, 12:09 am #2

I am gonna be 51 on the 11th. Kinda interested in a oil rig job in the states. 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

August 6th, 2010, 11:45 pm #3

if sump'n doesn't snap it's gonna get ugly

"does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?"

August 29th, 2010, 3:14 am #4

I'm from Williston ND I'f you have a winterized RV There are over 2000 open jobs in a town of 15000 if you can pass a drug test and have a pulse, and no DWI you will be working by the next morning.

Housing is the problem, No hotels for 100 miles in any direction lots of people living in cars and vans. If you go pm me, I may MAY be able to help find a temporary spot for an RV. There are tons of folks living in tents and remodeled churches barracks style.

good luck.

Fargo ND is a great place to live too, we are still looking for help, and age isn't a big deal here, we just want good folks that are expected to show up and work 5 days a week. I know a couple of folks in the headhunter shops that are still somewhat busy, maybe Fargo could be home.

Also small town ND is out of younger workers, they go off to the college towns or the oilpatch. If you have skills, you can buy a house in a small town eastern NOT WESTERN, ND town for 20K and have a job for life. In the ag field or just running the grocery store or keeping the local truckstop tireshop window glass heating ac auto repair ect. going. The countys need equip. operators and they provide great bennies too.

let me know if you are interested, Maybe I can help.

blizz

4V Cleveland heads were pretty much factored out by most sanctioning bodies; Is it they perform so poorly or was there another reason? Hmmm.

October 26th, 2010, 1:33 am #5

I'm not working either. Yes, I'm retired but my pension check just doesn't cover my bills.
I've been looking for a job also. I need work.
Bliz, do you know of any "work at home" jobs? Perhaps afilliated with one of those places you were talking about?
Fargo is a long way to commute...

Cheers.
Danford1

November 5th, 2010, 10:24 pm #6

Been over a year already. Can't get a job interview or nothing. I have 5 or 6 head hunters working to find me jobs and nothing. Very frustrating.

November 8th, 2010, 3:27 am #7

yup. i'm gonna go waste some gas & show my face tomorrow, let 'em know i'm still alive

and check on my damn block too. if i get it back before spring i'll have to put it in the dining room to keep it from frosting

November 20th, 2010, 6:34 pm #8

Anyone else out of work? I've been out since October. I actually resigned from my last job, so I haven't been collecting at all. Starting to really dwindle down my savings account. The job postings are not as plentiful as they used to be either. I've been sending out as many resumes as I can each week. Being 57 years old doesn't help. I am over qualified for some jobs and I don't have a degree for most of the jobs I have experience for. Just thought I would vent a bit. Thanks for reading.
The last year I drove 50 miles one way for a 10 hour a week job [some weeks 30 hrs,some nothing] I do industrial x-ray, ourselves and the welding shops were waiting for one company with 80% of the local work to start with their planned projects. They did finally start in the summer and brought a new x-ray company to town to do our work, thanks!
I have a chance to work for a bigger company, all out of town work, they hire on word of mouth, didn't even want to see a resume? Ok, thats new to me.
I had an old instructor in trade school, he always said "One door closes, another one opens".

November 23rd, 2010, 3:32 am #9

Seems like no one wants to hire anyone out of school who doesn't come recommended from someone they know in the business, no matter what their transcript/resume/portfolio says. Maybe I'll just keep goin' with school, maybe a master's degree will still be worth a shit in 2 years? Seems like the majority of my classmates are getting the same cold shoulder.

November 24th, 2010, 8:29 pm #10

the reach-around goes a long way, 'somebody' didn't get one

reminds me of a recent Roe Con(WLS AM 890) segment regarding Chicago Machine hiring practice

'Who Sent You?

it works the same way in Sheet Metal, if you're filling out an app in the front office you're wasting your time unless you've been 'sent'

timing is everything, go in through the side door if possible and find the Foreman or Super. be here at 6, or nope sorry i don't have anything...

Last edited by tinman351 on November 24th, 2010, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.