Isabel goes drag racing

Isabel goes drag racing

June 15th, 2012, 1:10 pm #1

Isabel is my 1969 Mercury Cougar XR7 Convertible (351C w/302C heads/toploader) that is so named for Hurricane Isabel that put her under salt water up over the windshield.

Second outing on Wednesday to Old Bridge Township Raceway Park. Ran open headers once I figured out how to deal with not being able to put "Race Ready's" behind the full length headers, not enough room on a convertible because of the seat pans:

So anyway, not fast by any standard, but a lot of fun just the same! Thought you all might like to check it out:

http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 061312.mp4

Regards,

Bob

Last edited by rentwist on June 15th, 2012, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 15th, 2012, 1:21 pm #2

Bob,

Hey, I noticed your O2 sensor is in your crossover pipe.  While it makes for a great looking, clean installation, you have to functional issues with that location as you have it.  First - when you have your exhaust open at those plates, you won't get any reading at all, other than a lean reading.  Second - that is a low-flow area, so the accuracy is going to be quite low.

I finally had to mount mine in one of my collectors, parallel to the ground, though looking at your setup, you could do it on that outside bend right before the dumps.  When you open your dumps with it in that location, it'll only read accurately at higher RPM, so don't try to tune below 2500 with the dumps open.  Not enough accurate flow past it.

Jay

June 15th, 2012, 1:36 pm #3

Thanks Jay. The O2 sensor is for my AEM AF Ratio gauge, to fine tune the carb (when I get around to it). No intention of worrying about AF with the dumps open, I just like to run that way at the drag strip for the sound and because the car/engine will likely always run better than with it connected to a 2 1/4" exhaust and Magnaflow SS mufflers.

June 15th, 2012, 2:44 pm #4

Bob - Ok.  Just wanted you aware that even with the exhaust closed up that the AF  will likely NOT read very accurately because you're in the wrong spot.  The transfer tube (H tube) is too slow of flow to get an accurate reading.  Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but want you aware for tuning purposes that its not going to be all that accurate.  You need to be in the high-speed flow to be accurate, such as that outside bend right after your collector, or in the collector itself.  O2 sensors need flow to be accurate - the higher the better.

June 15th, 2012, 3:03 pm #5

My thinking was to get both banks, but maybe that was a bad move. Would it be valid to just monitor one side when tuning? That was my worry. I did not want to have two O2 sensors not to mention they have to be powered when the engine is running or they can get damaged.

Actually FWIW, the reading does respond rather quickly with throttle. I figure if I can get good readings at idle, transition, power valve and WOT that is all I need to get the carb tuning job done. However, I am new to this so I might be overlooking something.

Thoughts?

June 15th, 2012, 7:03 pm #6

Isabel is my 1969 Mercury Cougar XR7 Convertible (351C w/302C heads/toploader) that is so named for Hurricane Isabel that put her under salt water up over the windshield.

Second outing on Wednesday to Old Bridge Township Raceway Park. Ran open headers once I figured out how to deal with not being able to put "Race Ready's" behind the full length headers, not enough room on a convertible because of the seat pans:

So anyway, not fast by any standard, but a lot of fun just the same! Thought you all might like to check it out:

http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 061312.mp4

Regards,

Bob

I love how clean that baby is! What gears are you running? Engine specs?

June 15th, 2012, 9:31 pm #7

My thinking was to get both banks, but maybe that was a bad move. Would it be valid to just monitor one side when tuning? That was my worry. I did not want to have two O2 sensors not to mention they have to be powered when the engine is running or they can get damaged.

Actually FWIW, the reading does respond rather quickly with throttle. I figure if I can get good readings at idle, transition, power valve and WOT that is all I need to get the carb tuning job done. However, I am new to this so I might be overlooking something.

Thoughts?
Bob - I use a $700 lab-grade O2 sensor, and yes, I have it in just one header collector (pass side, though it wouldn't matter).  And yes, it can be in one side only.  In reality, that's 4 cyl. that you're getting, so unless something crazy is going on, it should be very accurate. 

With it where you have it, the flow is low, and although it's "reacting", the accuracy is what I'd be concerned about.  It might be changing and moving around, but probably not very accurate as it's only getting the overpressure air movement, rather than ALL air movement.  Make sense?  You're getting readings, but I'm not sure of their accuracy.

June 15th, 2012, 10:30 pm #8

Are 3.25, the most I can run on the street without OD and without cruising becoming annoying RPM-wise.

Engine build specs are in the engine build section (along with some pictures in the photos section)!

Thanks Ed!

Regards,

Bob
Last edited by rentwist on June 15th, 2012, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 16th, 2012, 9:35 pm #9

Ed,

Since you are diggin' Isabel (so named for Hurricane Isabel that landed the car in salt water up over the windshield!), here are some pictures (sorry the track video quality is so poor, an old Sony Digital 8):

It's a '69 but so deserving of the Cleveland block and toploader that were in the Cougar I bought, fixed up and drove when I was 17 (am 52 now), don't you think?

Last edited by rentwist on June 17th, 2012, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 17th, 2012, 1:01 am #10

Bob - I use a $700 lab-grade O2 sensor, and yes, I have it in just one header collector (pass side, though it wouldn't matter).  And yes, it can be in one side only.  In reality, that's 4 cyl. that you're getting, so unless something crazy is going on, it should be very accurate. 

With it where you have it, the flow is low, and although it's "reacting", the accuracy is what I'd be concerned about.  It might be changing and moving around, but probably not very accurate as it's only getting the overpressure air movement, rather than ALL air movement.  Make sense?  You're getting readings, but I'm not sure of their accuracy.
And thanks (yet again) for taking the time to explain. Perhaps I should put a plug in the bung I installed and install another...