is NOS safe on my setup

is NOS safe on my setup

June 28th, 2011, 9:41 pm #1

What I have is a street engine and used as such. But I'm thinking about giving it a boost when I go to the track.

351c 4v, bored .030
2 bolt main
stock rods with arp bolts
cc 4v heads
KB hyper d-cup pistons. CR is a guess at around 9.3:1
edel performer intake
headers
MSD 6al with msd dizzy
Comp cam 262xe cam. I know cam is small but I love it for the street. Lots of low end torque and idles great.
SS one piece valves
crane one peice push rods
Stock rockers - I'd like to upgrade to the yella terra, but can't seem to find a distributor in the US??? I want some the are complete bolt on. I've heard the yella terra don't even need guides.
Quick fuel 680 carb.
normal felpro head gaskets
HV oil pump with a 7 quart pan

So is it safe with this set up? and if so what would the safe limit be? 100 shot? 125 shot? I'm new at the NOS so I'm slowly looking into it.

Its in a 1970 torino gt, c4 trans, 3000 stall TC, 3.89 gears. Thanks
Last edited by davidn3 on June 28th, 2011, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 29th, 2011, 1:18 am #2

You lean out. Then you'll wish you put forged pistons in it. And stay away from rev limiters on the jug. It go boom real quick.

June 29th, 2011, 10:14 am #3

http://www.holley.com/15975NOS.asp

Well, I'm sure its not explosion proof, but it looks like it has programable RPM limits and fuel pressure cutoffs.
Last edited by davidn3 on June 29th, 2011, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 29th, 2011, 11:14 am #4

Thats a flash bit of gear but I doubt you would use most of those features for your application. Use a hobbs switch for low fuel pressure protection and I would suggest swapping to the MSD6al-2 programable ignition box, this allows for timing retard while on the gas as well as it's other features like max rpm limit, launch rpm control and burnout rpm control. I've used a small tacho with a shift light to deactivate gas just before the rev limit, set the shift light to a couple hundred rpm before the limiter and solder a wire from the shift light + to a normally closed relay that will open and cut the nitrous control circuit. My opinion is that the level of gas you are thinking of using will be fine but all safety and tuning measures have to be correct no matter how much gas you use.
Cheers

June 29th, 2011, 12:48 pm #5

The MSD 6AL-2 is almost half the price as that fancy launch contoller. I'd be tempted to just go with the controller. But thanks for the advice. It will be a while before I start setting this up. There are other things on the list before NOS. Such as front coilovers, roller rockers, and disc brakes. It will be probably next spring, so I have plenty of time to do the research.

June 29th, 2011, 1:43 pm #6

No worries, that launch control dosen't actualy retard the timing it only sends a signal to a unit that can so that will be extra cost on top. Like you said you have plenty of time to research it and good luck.
Cheers

June 29th, 2011, 4:58 pm #7

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going in the right direction as far as research goes. I've looked on a couple of NOS forums. Sounds like with those pistons, 125hp is safe, but with all the safety precaustions (low and high RPM cuttoff, fuel pressure cuttoff). And with the ramp up system, maybe even 150hp. I found a Nitrous for beginers article off one of the sites. http://go-fast.org/z28/new_to_nitrous.html

If I can make it so I'm getting max only at around 4500-5500 RPM (6000 redline), then its not as hard on the system as cutting in max at 3000 RPM. But these numbers are general. Still in research mode.

And I did notice I'd still have to get a retard box. But these $$$numbers don't seem too bad considering my first thought was about turbo/supercharging. Then after researching a little, I've found that my compressiion is borderline for that. But the paxton belt driven supercharger is about $4000, giving me around 8# of boost at 5500 rpm. Thats why the $700 for the contoller didn't seem all that big of a deal. But I do have other projects. By spring time I might be pinching pennies and go the budget route.

June 29th, 2011, 6:50 pm #8

What I have is a street engine and used as such. But I'm thinking about giving it a boost when I go to the track.

351c 4v, bored .030
2 bolt main
cc 4v heads
edel performer intake
headers
MSD 6al with msd dizzy
Comp cam 262xe cam. I know cam is small but I love it for the street. Lots of low end torque and idles great.
SS one piece valves
Stock rockers - I'd like to upgrade to the yella terra, but can't seem to find a distributor in the US??? I want some the are complete bolt on. I've heard the yella terra don't even need guides.
Quick fuel 680 carb.

So is it safe with this set up? and if so what would the safe limit be? 100 shot? 125 shot? I'm new at the NOS so I'm slowly looking into it.

I assume you're looking for the ones that bolt up without machinging the pedestals? I got mine off of ebay from falcon globalhttp://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/falc ... 4340.l2559 . They didn't specifically have them listed but I got the part number off of yella terra's website and asked falcon global if they had them. Within the week they made me a buy it now listing for them and I got them the first part of the next week. I'm still in the process of assembly on my engine but I installed them on a spare set of heads laying around and they fit and lined up perfectly. I'd recommend them because they require no machinging and they have the adjuster right on the rocker which is pretty handy compared to other bolt on lifters that use shims underneath the pedestal. Which requires the removal of the rocker to adjust the lash, a major PIA if you ask me. BTW I got the yella terra bolt on adjustable (YT6015) versus the street terra ones. Whether there is a huge difference between the two I'm not sure.

June 29th, 2011, 8:35 pm #9

351c 4v, bored .030
2 bolt main
cc 4v heads
edel performer intake
headers
MSD 6al with msd dizzy
SS one piece valves
Quick fuel 680 carb.

Were the ring gaps set for those pistons with NO2? That is where the problem starts with Hyper pistons. Those KB's will need a big gap on the top ring to keep it from butting and popping the crown off.
Andy

June 29th, 2011, 9:22 pm #10

How much did you pay for the rockers? I found a site that sells them. But I'm thinking I could find a cheaper price. I do want the adjustable. I'm not too concerned about if they are yella terra or street terra though.

Its been a couple years since the motor build. If I can remember right, I set the top ring gap per the KB website. I was shooting between there street use recomedation and track use recomendation. Most of them are around .028 and .029. Some I overshot with the ring filler and got .03 or .031. There recomendation for nitrous would be .032