Im tired of the factory drum brakes!!!

Im tired of the factory drum brakes!!!

April 23rd, 2012, 4:51 pm #1

Sorry if i post this in the wrong place but I was wondering if anyone has any stock front "disc brake" spindles to sell for my 1970 cougar? Or does anyone know where i can get some at an affordable price? Mustangs Unlimited has them for $385 for the pair-dont know if thats a good price but they are suppose to be stronger than stock. Thanks, Matt

April 23rd, 2012, 5:12 pm #2

Matt, I've got a 70 torino with drums and will be upgrading to discs soon. The way I understand it is you can use the drum brake spindle if you use drum brake bearings and races in the new rotors? Maybe somebody else has done this swap?

April 23rd, 2012, 5:26 pm #3

Sorry if i post this in the wrong place but I was wondering if anyone has any stock front "disc brake" spindles to sell for my 1970 cougar? Or does anyone know where i can get some at an affordable price? Mustangs Unlimited has them for $385 for the pair-dont know if thats a good price but they are suppose to be stronger than stock. Thanks, Matt
There are many brake conversions available, unless you are set on OEM.

Summit Racing sells Wilwood disc brake conversions from 700. to 1600. dollars, be aware that the calipers do not use dust boots.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Make ... rd=wilwood

April 23rd, 2012, 5:57 pm #4

Mustang Steve sells brackets to use to convert your drums to discs. The advantage in my opinion is the brackets convert to modern Mustang GT or Cobra discs. The brake replacement parts are mass produced and are available at any parts store and will always be available. I don't like the idea of buying a conversion from a mail order place where parts must be ordered online.

April 23rd, 2012, 6:48 pm #5

There are many brake conversions available, unless you are set on OEM.

Summit Racing sells Wilwood disc brake conversions from 700. to 1600. dollars, be aware that the calipers do not use dust boots.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Make ... rd=wilwood
The 70 Mustangs and 70 Cougars use the same front suspenssion right? so what do u think about this kit?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-B ... refilter=1

Im just not familier with aftermarket disc brake systems to know if i need to already have the factory spindles or if this kit woul bolt to my factory drum spindles. What are your thoughts??? Thanks

April 23rd, 2012, 7:19 pm #6

Apparently there is some difference probably in the bearings,IDK. If you decide to go this route, I would be very interested in the manufacturer of the caliper, and what pads are available, pads and rotors are everything. Wilwood lists all their pads with a nice description so you know what you are getting. Also Wilwood on the lower end kits supply you with cheapy pads, D or E ?(forget) which do not stop the car at all, you will need to order a set of B or A, my favs.

April 24th, 2012, 6:20 am #7

Have your parts guy check the replacement bearings and seals for both disc brakes and drum brakes on your Cougar. Recently I was packing the wheel bearings on my 70 Ranchero GT with drum brakes and power steering. I had purchased a set of spindles with backing plates and the dust covers from a friend off his 71 Ranchero GT with disc brakes and power steering, planning to do the conversion at some time down the way (I got the entire power brake assembly less the proportioning valve and his power steering ram and tie rod setup). He had a 351 Cleveland and I am pretty sure it had air conditioning. Mine is a 302 without air conditioning. The spindles are the same as far as bearings, both inner and outer measures the same with my mic. There is no reason to change spindles that I can see. I still have to buy rotors, caliper assemblies with pads and new brake lines (not to mention the parts necessary to mount the calipers to the backing plate. The prices from Rock Auto are the best I can find. The only down side is the factory brakes (and the Rock Auto replacements) only have a single piston vs the dual pistons of the kit, but it does not appear the aftermarket calipers will fit with factory 14 inch wheels. The stock ones do.

I also have another 70 Ranchero GT, 351 M code with air and factory disc brakes that will be getting the bearings packed or replaced soon. I plan on measuring them as well. It is a 70 that was built in November of 69, so I am sure that it will have 69 spindles on it. Somewhere I have a set of 73 Torino disk brake spindles that I can not find at present but when I do I will mic them also.

April 24th, 2012, 1:26 pm #8

Matt, sent you an email. Email THPA351@aol.com

April 24th, 2012, 1:42 pm #9

Have your parts guy check the replacement bearings and seals for both disc brakes and drum brakes on your Cougar. Recently I was packing the wheel bearings on my 70 Ranchero GT with drum brakes and power steering. I had purchased a set of spindles with backing plates and the dust covers from a friend off his 71 Ranchero GT with disc brakes and power steering, planning to do the conversion at some time down the way (I got the entire power brake assembly less the proportioning valve and his power steering ram and tie rod setup). He had a 351 Cleveland and I am pretty sure it had air conditioning. Mine is a 302 without air conditioning. The spindles are the same as far as bearings, both inner and outer measures the same with my mic. There is no reason to change spindles that I can see. I still have to buy rotors, caliper assemblies with pads and new brake lines (not to mention the parts necessary to mount the calipers to the backing plate. The prices from Rock Auto are the best I can find. The only down side is the factory brakes (and the Rock Auto replacements) only have a single piston vs the dual pistons of the kit, but it does not appear the aftermarket calipers will fit with factory 14 inch wheels. The stock ones do.

I also have another 70 Ranchero GT, 351 M code with air and factory disc brakes that will be getting the bearings packed or replaced soon. I plan on measuring them as well. It is a 70 that was built in November of 69, so I am sure that it will have 69 spindles on it. Somewhere I have a set of 73 Torino disk brake spindles that I can not find at present but when I do I will mic them also.
The single piston calipers mount to the caliper, NOT the backing plate. 70 Cougar, Mustang, etc can use the "Granada" parts to get factory disks.

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

April 24th, 2012, 4:32 pm #10

Matt, sent you an email. Email THPA351@aol.com
I did not get an email from you but i sent you one.