I thought nobody made tubes in the US anymore

I thought nobody made tubes in the US anymore

November 4th, 2006, 5:01 am #1

Apparently either they are very expensive, not the right ones or? Did anyone know that Western Electric was still in business? I thought they had been absorbed, bought out, went defunct or some other fate long ago.
http://www.westernelectric.com/index.html

November 4th, 2006, 6:11 pm #2

Something that is actualy made in the US...unbelievable.

joe
joe

November 4th, 2006, 11:11 pm #3

Apparently either they are very expensive, not the right ones or? Did anyone know that Western Electric was still in business? I thought they had been absorbed, bought out, went defunct or some other fate long ago.
http://www.westernelectric.com/index.html
I think somebody bought the name some time ago because of the brand equity and they are now marketing 300b SET tubes for audiophiles .

The people at vacuum tube valley are the authorities on such things .

I believe pittman has bought up old ge tube manufacturing equipment and is running it , maybe in pennsylvania somewhere .

The "red bank" tubes are still manufactured in jersey I believe and have been for quite some time . they make those for the military , they are VERY rugged cause they use em in missiles . they have to withstand 1000's of G's you know ,or hundreds , whatever it is it's alot !

Mike G.
Mike G.

November 6th, 2006, 1:52 am #4

So far as I know, "the" Western Electric officially died with Altec Lansing. The tube manufacturing, which was a minor section of WE, was sold previously, possibly when Altec was controlled by LTV.

Sparkomatic, of $19.99 car stereo "fame", bought the rights to the Altec name, along with the professional products line, & renamed themselves Altec Lansing Technologies. They now make computer & iPod speaker systems, a few professional pieces, & lately a limited edition of the old Voice of the Theatre A7s.

For what it's worth...a small company comprised of former Altec employees bought the inventory of Altec parts & the right to service Altec speakers. They also reproduce Altec ribbons & other parts, etc., as well as design their own speaker line. They were asked by Altec Lansing Technologies to duplicate/redesign the A7 drivers & build prototypes for the (at the time) upcoming A7 re-release. They did it in good faith, hoping to get the contract...at which point A.L.T. took the prototypes & had them duplicated & produced in China. So, for your limited edition $5800 APIECE A7 Legacys, you get Chinese parts. The website says American made components, but allegedly it's American assembled. It's not enough that companies like ProComp steal from & screw American companies....now American companies do it to each other. No, the small company didn't actually have a production contract, only prototypes...it was all legal...but there is such a thing as morality. I find it difficult to believe that anyone who would pay $11,600 for a pair of speakers wouldn't pay the extra few hundred for the American-sourced components. Now officially getting off the soapbox.

November 6th, 2006, 6:39 am #5

I think what you meant to say was Ethics. Morality has more to do with personal behavior practices. In any case your inference is correct. Without Ethics, business is pretty cut-throat and low down. You can only expect a business to be as ethical as it's employees from the top down. Everyone has impact on it. Low end production stealing or otherwise being unproductive or costing the company money lead to production going elsewhere or going out of business as much as bad management or poor ethics do. Everyone shares a piece of the blame. My 9YO gets fed a diet of liberal California public school BS but only gets PE once a week, we have to pay for just about everything else through fees but, dare to mention any sort of morality or more then the most basic ethics and there will be hell and lawsuits to pay.

71 M code Mach 1, Tremec TKO, Wilwood SL6's, road racer.

November 6th, 2006, 4:49 pm #6

even by amp room standards ! I think california will soon need to be added to the list that goes "no religion or politics" no religion , politics , or california ! tee hee .

WE, altec, james lansing , ma bell were all involved in the very early going of public adress , sound reproduction generally . That history is very interesting . google for al jolson , the jazz singer and talkies that's where the tour starts and that's where you'll find out why the really old WE stuff is worth untold fortunes , to the japs if nobody else.

November 6th, 2006, 8:41 pm #7

I think what you meant to say was Ethics. Morality has more to do with personal behavior practices. In any case your inference is correct. Without Ethics, business is pretty cut-throat and low down. You can only expect a business to be as ethical as it's employees from the top down. Everyone has impact on it. Low end production stealing or otherwise being unproductive or costing the company money lead to production going elsewhere or going out of business as much as bad management or poor ethics do. Everyone shares a piece of the blame. My 9YO gets fed a diet of liberal California public school BS but only gets PE once a week, we have to pay for just about everything else through fees but, dare to mention any sort of morality or more then the most basic ethics and there will be hell and lawsuits to pay.

as far as public school is concerned. My child also attends Ca puiblic school. Also, this term "liberal" has been distorted by conservatives and the conservative corporate media into a vague pejorative with no link to history or ctual liberals and it's use on your post reflects this. And, if you don't like the lack of funding in your school system you might want to take another look at:

Prop 13

NCLB

Where lottery funds actually go Vs. where they were supposed to go

Now, what business ethics have to do with public school I don't know. I don't see too may teachers fighting for the right to offshore entire industries. That seems to be the wet dream of conservatives, along with lowered safety regs, lowered polution regs, suppressed wages, the erosion of worker rights and the ability to collectively bargain, NAFTA, GATT, CAFTA, WhateverTA and, of course, illegal employment.

The only people I hear demanding that EMPLOYERS of illegals get the fuck fined out of them are liberals and progressives. Not a single damn moderate or conservative wants to be anywhere near that statement. Even Lou Dobbs would rather we build a useless wall rather than simply end the reason illegals come here: jobs for illegals. Last i saw, it was not illegals at Tyson or Wall-Mart paying coyotes to ferry illegals across the border. Ain't no liberals or progressives touting GATT or NAFTA. Ain't liberals or progressives saying "More power to the rich". Ain't liberlas or progressives pushing bullshit, dummed-down standardized tests that have to be paid for instead of simply created by the teachers AND MUST BE BOUGHT FROM A COMPANY OWNED BY THE pRESIDENT'S BROTHER.

"Low end production stealing or otherwise being unproductive or costing the company money lead to production going elsewhere or going out of business as much as bad management or poor ethics do."

Prove this. Prove that it is US working people who are offshoring jobs. Prove that it is the American working class that is employing millions of illegals. Prove that your average working class American who you accuse of being thieves or lazy are sabotaging their own future deliberately. Everyone I have ever worked with on a production line worked their asses off. The numbers are in. American workplace efficiency is the highest it has ever been. We are even working more hours than the fucking Japanese, yet our wages, adjusted for inflation, plateaued in the 1980s while CEO pay has increased 900%. Fuck any class traitor that blames this shit on the worker. Workers are fighting for survival against a gigantic corporate money/political/media machine that is driving this country into an economic disaster of Chilean proportions led by the "CEO" pResident, the grandson of a Nazi financier.

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
The history of liberty is a history of the limitation of governmental power, not the increase of it.
-- Woodrow Wilson

November 7th, 2006, 2:33 am #8

You know how jealous joe gets...ummm by the way, whats PE? tee hee hee

joe
joe

November 7th, 2006, 7:06 pm #9

aint no sunshine when she's gone
only clouds when she goes away
aint no sunshine when she's GAHAWN !
only clouds when she goes away ..

and I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I know I knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI knowI know

you've already done it now ! that song will be in your head for days ! HAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ! Teach you to mess with me !

sixty4fairlane
sixty4fairlane

November 7th, 2006, 8:51 pm #10

as far as public school is concerned. My child also attends Ca puiblic school. Also, this term "liberal" has been distorted by conservatives and the conservative corporate media into a vague pejorative with no link to history or ctual liberals and it's use on your post reflects this. And, if you don't like the lack of funding in your school system you might want to take another look at:

Prop 13

NCLB

Where lottery funds actually go Vs. where they were supposed to go

Now, what business ethics have to do with public school I don't know. I don't see too may teachers fighting for the right to offshore entire industries. That seems to be the wet dream of conservatives, along with lowered safety regs, lowered polution regs, suppressed wages, the erosion of worker rights and the ability to collectively bargain, NAFTA, GATT, CAFTA, WhateverTA and, of course, illegal employment.

The only people I hear demanding that EMPLOYERS of illegals get the fuck fined out of them are liberals and progressives. Not a single damn moderate or conservative wants to be anywhere near that statement. Even Lou Dobbs would rather we build a useless wall rather than simply end the reason illegals come here: jobs for illegals. Last i saw, it was not illegals at Tyson or Wall-Mart paying coyotes to ferry illegals across the border. Ain't no liberals or progressives touting GATT or NAFTA. Ain't liberals or progressives saying "More power to the rich". Ain't liberlas or progressives pushing bullshit, dummed-down standardized tests that have to be paid for instead of simply created by the teachers AND MUST BE BOUGHT FROM A COMPANY OWNED BY THE pRESIDENT'S BROTHER.

"Low end production stealing or otherwise being unproductive or costing the company money lead to production going elsewhere or going out of business as much as bad management or poor ethics do."

Prove this. Prove that it is US working people who are offshoring jobs. Prove that it is the American working class that is employing millions of illegals. Prove that your average working class American who you accuse of being thieves or lazy are sabotaging their own future deliberately. Everyone I have ever worked with on a production line worked their asses off. The numbers are in. American workplace efficiency is the highest it has ever been. We are even working more hours than the fucking Japanese, yet our wages, adjusted for inflation, plateaued in the 1980s while CEO pay has increased 900%. Fuck any class traitor that blames this shit on the worker. Workers are fighting for survival against a gigantic corporate money/political/media machine that is driving this country into an economic disaster of Chilean proportions led by the "CEO" pResident, the grandson of a Nazi financier.

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
The history of liberty is a history of the limitation of governmental power, not the increase of it.
-- Woodrow Wilson
What Tom said. I'm glad its his sandbox, I don't dare go around trying to confuse people with the TRUTH !