I have an aluminum water pump question

I have an aluminum water pump question

July 17th, 2012, 4:36 pm #1

I did a search for about 2 hours now and didn't see what i was looking for. In the next week or 2 im going to install my new electric fan/shroud combo. I figured sience im having to unbolt the flex fan and belts etc... i might as well replace the water pump (pump now is 15 years old so why not). Im thinking of putting the FLOWKOOLER BRA-1648 Aluminum pump on. Question is, has anyone put this pump on their engine? If you have, does the lower radiator hose outlet match up like the factory? When i looked on the Flowkooler website they looked a little different on the lower outlet than the cast pump or are my eyes playing tricks on me? Thanks for help Matt

Cast pump from Flowkooler
[/IMG]

Aluminum BRA-1648
[/IMG]

July 17th, 2012, 9:15 pm #2

I used to run a flowcooler aluminum pump, never matched it up against an iron one though. Would think it should be the same. Mine had the disc riveted to the backside of the impeller that caused it to flow more, with one gasket the rivets would rub on the front cover and lock it up. With two gaskets it worked fine. I've heard other people say the same thing, maybe by now they've taken care of it!

Roger

July 17th, 2012, 9:38 pm #3

I did a search for about 2 hours now and didn't see what i was looking for. In the next week or 2 im going to install my new electric fan/shroud combo. I figured sience im having to unbolt the flex fan and belts etc... i might as well replace the water pump (pump now is 15 years old so why not). Im thinking of putting the FLOWKOOLER BRA-1648 Aluminum pump on. Question is, has anyone put this pump on their engine? If you have, does the lower radiator hose outlet match up like the factory? When i looked on the Flowkooler website they looked a little different on the lower outlet than the cast pump or are my eyes playing tricks on me? Thanks for help Matt

[/IMG]

Aluminum BRA-1648
[/IMG]
I run a Flowcooler aluminum water pump on my "C", nothing different that I noticed.

34 ford 3 window,351 cleveland 4v

July 17th, 2012, 9:52 pm #4

did you happen to notice if the bypass is open?

some aftermarket pumps just leave the casting solid. here's my Weiand flat face, notice the roundish opening in the gasket but no hole in the pump body. with no bypass circuit you need to make other arrangements to relieve deadhead pressure until the T-stat opens, and you're free to run a generic T-stat also

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

July 17th, 2012, 9:55 pm #5

[/IMG]

Aluminum BRA-1648
[/IMG]
http://www.flowkooler.com/info/mirakool.html

" ...The patented MiraKool 16 (M-16) FlowKooler impeller more than doubles the water flow rate at idle and maintains a significant increase in flow versus all OEM and race pumps.

By doubling the Gallons per Minute (GPM) output our pumps help resolve the most frequent engine overheating situations; at idle, low speed cruising or stop-and-go traffic.

We are pleased to announce the introduction of our next generation of patented 16 blade precision-machined impeller systems.

Our proprietary machining process further increases surface area on each vein and our integrated shroud reduces cavitation resulting in a more efficient flow... "

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing
Last edited by tinman351 on July 17th, 2012, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 18th, 2012, 9:37 am #6

some aftermarket pumps just leave the casting solid. here's my Weiand flat face, notice the roundish opening in the gasket but no hole in the pump body. with no bypass circuit you need to make other arrangements to relieve deadhead pressure until the T-stat opens, and you're free to run a generic T-stat also

I have the Weiand pump like yours and i have never made any modifications in the last 5 years to the pump, and never had a problem either. Do you think its required?

July 18th, 2012, 3:41 pm #7

http://www.flowkooler.com/info/mirakool.html

" ...The patented MiraKool 16 (M-16) FlowKooler impeller more than doubles the water flow rate at idle and maintains a significant increase in flow versus all OEM and race pumps.

By doubling the Gallons per Minute (GPM) output our pumps help resolve the most frequent engine overheating situations; at idle, low speed cruising or stop-and-go traffic.

We are pleased to announce the introduction of our next generation of patented 16 blade precision-machined impeller systems.

Our proprietary machining process further increases surface area on each vein and our integrated shroud reduces cavitation resulting in a more efficient flow... "

I found a post from a member named "JOEL PEAVY" and found these pictures. is this the bypass u are talking about. I called Flowkooler yesterday and they said the pump is a copy of factory but in aluminum

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Last edited by nova467spanker on July 18th, 2012, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 18th, 2012, 5:41 pm #8

I have the Weiand pump like yours and i have never made any modifications in the last 5 years to the pump, and never had a problem either. Do you think its required?
i just don't like the idea of the cooling system running deadhead pressure until the Tstat opens. i suppose the radiator cap can be considered a pressure fuse but that still doesn't address the likelyhood of hotspots in the heads due to the system not moving any coolant

with a blocked bypass pump and;

heater hoses in place & flowing coolant

a restrictor washer in place of the T-stat

significant air bleeds or relief hole in working T-stat

aux bypass such as the block nipple that supplies the heater core plumbed with hose to the radiator Olds/Cad style...

then the hotspot scenario is avoided

with no flow during warm-up the T-stat is the last to know that the coolant in the heads has been hot enough to be sent to the radiator for some time. as designed the factory system flows that hot warm-up coolant from the heads right over the T-stat sensor

July 18th, 2012, 5:45 pm #9

I found a post from a member named "JOEL PEAVY" and found these pictures. is this the bypass u are talking about. I called Flowkooler yesterday and they said the pump is a copy of factory but in aluminum

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
the bypass looks to be machined & operational, not sure if that's the latest Miracool impeller though, on the website it looks to be cast one piece

i don't understand how flow can be doubled with less cavitation? the Ford method was to reduce pump rpm and reduce impeller size/efficiency

July 18th, 2012, 9:02 pm #10

I installed the Flowcooler pump about 8 years ago because at idle & in heavy traffic it would run to 200 to 215.
if I remember correctly, the pump did have the by-pass opening. I did drill two 1/16 hole in the T-stat to prevent air being trapped in the system. runs 170 to 190 all day since then.

34 ford 3 window,351 cleveland 4v