help decifering engine/head codes.

help decifering engine/head codes.

August 16th, 2012, 3:10 pm #1

hey all. glad to find this place. so to the point. picked up a cleveland/c6 trans that are gonna eventually go in an 83 f100( that is getting a ground up resto on). the block code is D2AE-CA, which is a CJ. its a 2v and i cant find info ont he head code.D1AE is what i find on the deck side of the heads, but dont find that code anywhere to get some info on em.
i call her ( the cleveland) Blue Bertha. goin right through her top to bottom. and want to know what i have before i set up a plan. it will be in a somewhat daily driver, but want to get some good HP/torque from her to pull trailers with.

thanks for any help in advance.

August 16th, 2012, 6:27 pm #2

you have to remove the heads to see them..

See Andys Heads For sale ad in the classifieds..

http://www.network54.com/Forum/215649/t ... heads+D0AE

BTW nice set of heads Andy!

-blizz

351C.net, not just any old internet car forum,

August 16th, 2012, 9:07 pm #3

i appreciate that, but i'm not lookn to buy a set of heads. i'm tryin to find info on the ones i have.

August 16th, 2012, 10:10 pm #4

Blizz may have meant for the pics?

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

August 17th, 2012, 3:23 am #5

sorry I wasn't very clear,

I type an run, then a few hours later I re-read it. Sometimes even I don't even know what I was trying to say..

Good thing all the grammer cops gave up and found another forum or I'd be doomed..

~blizz

351C.net, not just any old internet car forum,

August 17th, 2012, 4:56 am #6

there's not much variation in 335 series parts.

All 1972 - 1974 blocks had the D2AE-CA casting code. Both Q code & H code. The Q code motors were equipped with 4 bolt mains, the H code motors had 2 bolt mains. BUT the caps on 2 bolt main blocks are stable well over 7000 rpm, so 4 bolt mains are just not necessary for most applications.

All 2V heads are small port, small valve, open combustion chamber heads. All have 78cc combustion chambers excepting the 1970 versions, which had 76cc combustion chambers. And they all had 2.041" intake valves and 1.65" exhaust valves. Beginning 1975 the 351M & 400 heads (also small port, small valve, open combustion chamber heads) were cast with provision for thermactor air injection, which restricted the exhaust port and makes them less desirable.

-G

Pantera Photos | 351C Historic Information | 351C Technical Information

August 18th, 2012, 1:18 am #7

thanks for the info. 2 bolt main. talked to the man thats gonna be doin the machine work. he is a ford man and it seems clevelands give him a woody. i'm just lookin for 300 hp with good low and midrange torque. so, we're gonna build the bottom end up good, then he's gonna do some port work on the heads,intake, and manifolds( wanna stick with stock manifolds and intake for now), cam kit( not decided on which cam yet), and basically have it built for later upgrades. but we aint started yet, so plans could change.
then on to the trans, then rear end. then a crapload of work on the truck itself.