Fuel Line

Fuel Line

October 26th, 2011, 4:04 pm #1

Going to run fuel lines in my 64 Fairlane. What diameter should I run... Would like it to be big enopugh to handle a Bib Block race motor that I will eventually put in it.

Should I go stainless hardline? What is a good fuel pump... I have run Carters in the past with good luck though they are loud.

was looking at this one for $80

Carter P4594
Electric Fuel Pump
Pump with 1/4" NPT Inlet and Outlet
6-8 psi output
No Regulator Required
72 gph Free Flow
Dependable High Flow Performance for Street Use.

Last edited by 68Bronco on October 26th, 2011, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 26th, 2011, 4:41 pm #2

That's 5/8" ID, but a large engine will never be starved for fuel. I wouldn't run anything smaller than a -8 (1/2" ID).

As for the pump, Aeromotive always gets my money. Top quality stuff.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

October 26th, 2011, 5:14 pm #3

That does seem big.

How do you go from the 5/8 hard fuel line to the 3/8 NPT fuel pump. Isint this restrictive.

What are the rest of you running?

BTW the RAM clutch is working great in the bronco! thanks!
Last edited by 68Bronco on October 26th, 2011, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 26th, 2011, 6:44 pm #4

A lot of the Aeromotive pumps have -8 and -10 inlets/outlets.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

October 26th, 2011, 9:12 pm #5

That does seem big.

How do you go from the 5/8 hard fuel line to the 3/8 NPT fuel pump. Isint this restrictive.

What are the rest of you running?

BTW the RAM clutch is working great in the bronco! thanks!
"How do you go from the 5/8 hard fuel line to the 3/8 NPT fuel pump. Isint this restrictive."

3/8 NPT is near on 5/8 in actual size anyway i thought.

October 26th, 2011, 9:15 pm #6

A lot of the Aeromotive pumps have -8 and -10 inlets/outlets.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

Maybe someone could suggest a good set up for me. Putting a stock 351w in a 64 fairlane, building fuel system from scratch with a 650 Holley and a fuel cell on either end. Will want to upgrade the system down the line so thinking bigger lines but don't want to spend much now as money is tight.

was thinking about running aluminum hard line down the frame rail to a electric fuel pump with a filter on either side. Should I just run the 3/8 fuel line now and replum later?

Thanks in advance.

October 26th, 2011, 9:26 pm #7

Going to run fuel lines in my 64 Fairlane. What diameter should I run... Would like it to be big enopugh to handle a Bib Block race motor that I will eventually put in it.

Should I go stainless hardline? What is a good fuel pump... I have run Carters in the past with good luck though they are loud.

Carter P4594
Electric Fuel Pump
6-8 psi output
No Regulator Required
72 gph Free Flow
1/2" is plenty - run hard line well mounted then use #8 flex where required. #10 between the cell and the fuel filter, which sits in front of the pump. Use a filter compatible with the pump. I personally like Mallory G-rotor pumps. A 140 GPH with a return regulator setup will handle plenty into the 650+HP range up to maybe around 900. Your 72 GPH Carter is a street pump, fine for a cruiser small block. Figure a minimum of 1/2 lb fuel per HP per hour, double that, then expect 40~60% pumping loss in the lines. #10~#12 is alcohol level race plumbing.

If it's a "real race motor/big block", then #8 or #10 with a 250GPH return system. Note that all GPH figures are "free flow" which your fuel system is not. You have head pressure and bends.

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

October 27th, 2011, 3:26 am #8

Carter P4594
Electric Fuel Pump
6-8 psi output
No Regulator Required
72 gph Free Flow
<div>With an elec fuel pump in a truly "street driven" car (aka a true daily driver.....driven every damn day) where the engine is more of a mileage/workhorse deal and less of a stop light to stop light hot rod toy, a 3/8 fuel should be more than enough in a lot of cases.</div><div> </div><div>On a truly "best of both worlds" street/strip car where you're feeding a carb, (and also possibly a small/medium sized nitrous system) off of a single main line, a 1/2 line will usually be more than enough to get the job done.</div><div> </div><div>On a hard launching "race only" car with a rear mounted fuel cell, choosing the main line diameter can be a juggling act. While a real big ID fuel line can move more fuel, that bigger line also increases the amount of fuel volume/weight that will momentarily stall & be pushing back against the fuel pump during the hard launch. And then if steel braided line is used there's the increased cost of running a big line end to end. That's why a front mounted fuel cell on a "race only" car just can't be beat. </div><div> </div><div> </div><div>As for elec fuel pumps........</div><div> </div><div>(A) In the past (street and strip) I have never had a Carter or Holley red/blue/black that was really ever worth a siht.......ever. Every Carter I owned slowed down/burned up within a relatively short time regardless of how it was mounted. And the Holley's always either leaked at the weep holes (and the re-seal kits to fix this are a joke) or the elec motor magnets came loose, or the pump vanes and/or relief piston would get "sticky/stuck" even with the best filters.</div><div> </div><div> </div><div>(B) The only Mallory fuel pumps I have ever messed with was their old "Frankenstein" lookin twin motored 5500 comp pump, and they were a damn good pump. Only thing they could have done to make that pump a little better was the return/relief/valve/spring assembly needed to be able to move a little more fuel volume back to the tank than it did. On a front mounted pump/cell setup it was sometimes a little had to get them to return enough fuel back to the cell.  <div></div></div><div> </div><div>(C) The Aeromotive line of pumps are a very good "step up" from the Carter & Holley stuff. They work great on both street cars & strip.</div><div> </div><div> </div><div>(D) The ultimate "bad boy" monster race pump is the MagnaFuel 500 stuff. With a front mounted fuel cell & one 500 pump with the relief/return set at about a 25(ish) lbs, it's more than enough to feed a 700"+ motor with 3 nitrous stages off of a single main feed line. They can also be easily cranked up into the 30+ lbs range for use in a rear fuel cell mounted combo that uses a big ID main feed line. They are a bit pricey, but they rock.          </div><div>    </div>

October 27th, 2011, 2:50 pm #9

http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/11219/10002/-1

with 1/2" aluminum hard line and 8AN fittings

I can just go from sump to pump to filter to carb right?

Do I need a return line?

October 27th, 2011, 3:15 pm #10

...but dead-headed pumps are usually a little louder. I would use a filter before the pump and one after the pump.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC