DOAE block confusion

DOAE block confusion

January 23rd, 2012, 8:10 pm #1

I have a DOAE- block that I bought many years ago and cannot find out what it might be. I was told that it was from a HO mustang but it was not in the car at the time I bought it. The only casting number on it is only DOAE-. There is no other number other than the build number OK27. The block is leaking water from a crack at the front passenger side and would like to know if it is worth trying to fix or deep six. Anyone know what this might be? Thanks.

January 24th, 2012, 12:16 am #2

So, what are the bores like?
1) standard bore block= MAYbe worth fixin

2).040 over? clean it, paint it and put a sheet of glass and use it as the coolest coffee table in the neighborhood.

anywhere in between its up to you.

What caused the crack? Frozen block? see option #2
dropped on the floor and hit the engine stand? maybe fix it.

how did you find the leak?
pictures??

really it is probably a coffee table.

bilzz

Happy New Year 2012!!..
Last edited by blizzardND on January 24th, 2012, 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 24th, 2012, 12:27 am #3

I have a DOAE- block that I bought many years ago and cannot find out what it might be. I was told that it was from a HO mustang but it was not in the car at the time I bought it. The only casting number on it is only DOAE-. There is no other number other than the build number OK27. The block is leaking water from a crack at the front passenger side and would like to know if it is worth trying to fix or deep six. Anyone know what this might be? Thanks.
that was cast specifically for use with the cannonn ball heads?

-G

Pantera Photos | 351C Historic Information | 351C Technical Information

If you use a 351C 4V powered vehicle for a grocery getter ... the eggs aren't going to make it home!
Last edited by gpence on January 24th, 2012, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 24th, 2012, 12:41 am #4

So, what are the bores like?
1) standard bore block= MAYbe worth fixin

2).040 over? clean it, paint it and put a sheet of glass and use it as the coolest coffee table in the neighborhood.

anywhere in between its up to you.

What caused the crack? Frozen block? see option #2
dropped on the floor and hit the engine stand? maybe fix it.

how did you find the leak?
pictures??

really it is probably a coffee table.

bilzz

Happy New Year 2012!!..
It was in a garage but it was nasty cold here last winter. I noticed that the fluid lever was down and upon looking around found the pan on the passenger side front was rusty. Further inspection seemed to be a crack about soft plug level at the front. I do not have a photo yet but the thread listed below and the post by tinman shows where it is in the same spot mine is at. I do not know if block filler would work or not since this will be mostly street driven. Thanks for the response.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/t ... od+2V+news

January 24th, 2012, 2:15 am #5

unless you assemble it. Maybe a slap on set of heads, a pair of headgaskets and the waterpump. then pressure her up and look up into the bores for cracking...?

Blizz

George. The special "cannonball heads only" block was only offered in '70 to the Latina American /Carribian market. it was installed in Calypso Coral el-Ranchero's with the parrot stripe interiors. Very very rare.

When released to market, a local advertisement showed the car jumping from island to island. But in Latian america, not as many atty's so they forgot the disclaimer "professional stuntman do not attempt"

Therefore most if not all of the cannonball equipped rancheros are "swimming with the fishes" after attempted "island hopping"

Only one block survived...

blizz

Happy New Year 2012!!..
Last edited by blizzardND on January 24th, 2012, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 24th, 2012, 5:26 am #6

that Cannon ball motor would turn over and fire right up ....

and still make more power than a stroker motor with CHI heads and a hydraulic roller cam

-G

Pantera Photos | 351C Historic Information | 351C Technical Information

If you use a 351C 4V powered vehicle for a grocery getter ... the eggs aren't going to make it home!

January 24th, 2012, 5:52 am #7

i was wondering if its a 2 bolt main block or a 4 bolt main block?
there was also a D block and a square block
if its a 2 bolt main block, and it cracked , its not really worth messing with
if its a factory 4 bolt main block and not a block converted to 4 bolt mains it could be a boss 351 block
highly unlikely but possible. with the date code its probably a square block.
the D block are desired by the assuie guys
be interest know if its a 4 bolt main , and if its a square or D block
later bill

January 24th, 2012, 3:34 pm #8

You can drill and stitch the crack - been there, done that.

This was a DOAE block, there may be some that are quite fragile. This is the one that split 5 bores after 2 years of use. It was a standard bore, cut .030 for clean up, stored in a guys shed for 10 years, no water in the block.

1967 Falcon 4 door 351C-4V
1970 Mustang 351C-2V
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

January 24th, 2012, 8:11 pm #9

it's a gamble but you could try building the block up & using a ceramic sealer product. from back in the day Ford has said you can use epoxy externally to repair non-critical areas, but IMO that's not the way to seal a crack, the repair has to be from the wet side, like the ceramic sealers work

other than that you could bevel the crack & weld it up with the appropriate electrode for cast iron, done properly requires pre & post heating/cooling

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

January 24th, 2012, 8:20 pm #10

or the screen door spray!

just kidding

I'd be more concerned with internal cracks, I'd hate to see him pile a bunch of money getting it all assembled with new $pendy part$, only to find out that it has water leaking or weeping into the oil.

-blizz

Happy New Year 2012!!..